Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bad Vibrations....

HI all, been some time since I was last in here.

Since I had my tyres replaceed all round in January I've noticed a distinct vibration as I accelerate, it is more noticable from about 60mph and upwards and is probably worst at around 100mph.

If I lift off the pedal and let it slow down naturally there are bands in the speed where it seems to get worse. It does not wander around the road and upon braking the car stays in a straight line.

I have had the wheels balanced again recently but it does not seem to be any better. The steering wheel transmits some of the vibrations but I can also feel it in general, through the seat for example.

I've jacked up the front end and noticed one wheel spins pretty freely, whereas the other is stopped fairly quickly by the brake. Could a sticking caliper be the cause? Could it be the tyres themselves being faulty? Should I look at getting my local lexus dealer to perform the very expensive 4 wheel tracking?

Has anyone else had this problem or seen a post where someone else found a remedy. I was hoping my lexus would be a trouble free car but now I am starting to get worried I could be in for some hefty service bills to correct all manner of things.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Do you get the vibration through the seat at the same time as the steering wheel, if yes

and you have had your wheel balance checked and double checked.

Check the front wheel bearings for 'Play' if they are OK

Check all steering joints, links etc for 'Play'

Do you get the vibration and shimming steering wheel when you apply the brakes and can you feel the brake padel moving slightly up and down up under your foot, when you apply the brakes

Steering wheel shimmy under braking, Distorteded front disks

Brake padel, slight movement up and down,

Distorted rear disks, you can confirm this by slowing the vehicle down using the hand brake, Hold in the release button with your thumb and gently apply the hand brake, you will feel the lever move up and down slightly as the pads come into contact with the disc.

It could also be a 'prop shaft' out of balance, This would give you a general vibration through the car.

'I've jacked up the front end and noticed one wheel spins pretty freely, whereas the other is stopped fairly quickly by the brake'. Sticking caliper, is there any discolouration on the either side of the disc face, this will cause the disc to distort and cause vibration/shimming steering wheel underbraking

Hope the above is some help,

the handbrake is totally separate from the rear normal braking system!!!!!!!!!!

the handbrake has its own set of shoes and uses the drum on the rear disc, under normal braking the disc surface is used.

i get a slight "rumbling" sound when i brake to a halt.. it starts when im at around 10-15 mph and continues till i stop. braking at any other speed is perfect and no sound is produced... but when the car slows down and approaches the 10-15 mph mark, the little rumbling sound starts..seems to be coming from the front wheels. no other abnormalities encountered during braking(as asked in above posts). May be this is the same of all IS 200s... i dont know.. i hav no source to compare. :(

anyone know? TIA

another thing that ive noticed is a light "tingling" sound coming from the front wheels as i set off... i had a similiar noise from my old car - never managed to find out what it was.eventually it just went away!!!

perhaps its the pads touching the disks? i dont know, and wouldnt know how to check.. :unsure: very annoying and quite disturbing too... $$

if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem could be/how to fix it.. please let me know... many many thanks!!

Paul

I had the same problem. I balanced it two times and it did get better but not OK.

Then i went to an other company and they refitted the tire to the rim matching them together. That solved the problem. Give that a try.

Staffan/Stockholm/Sweden