Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Uk Promotes Keeping Older Cars On The Road

at least thats what they have done in their latest road tax hike

this 'stealth' tax done under the guise of the 'green' card makes owning and maintaining a pre april 2001 car much more attractive than upgrading to a newer model as all cars before this date have a fixed £180 tax.

compare that with a new, say , range rover, which from 2010 which will cost you £950 to tax new then £455 a year after that

i know most people who can afford this car wont bat an eyelid at this but this is just an example and alot more people will be effected that are not expecting it

an IS200 post 2001 is going to be £430!!!

im looking for an older one which will now probably go up in value :winky:

This government are notoriously hating of the motorist. If I could only go back in time to '97 and tell people what would happen! The fact that only 6-8% is it? (stats from quentin wilson) of "road tax" goes back into the road network is shocking. Shame the tories have taken the green position now (a u-turn to attract motorists would be disastrous to their image)

I've been thinking about moving to oz for years, I'm only 26 but If we leave it any longer we'll never move, the ways things are heading economically as well as socially, I know where I'll be seeing my son grow up.

this 'stealth' tax done under the guise of the 'green' card makes owning and maintaining a pre april 2001 car much more attractive than upgrading to a newer model as all cars before this date have a fixed £180 tax.

compare that with a new, say , range rover, which from 2010 which will cost you £950 to tax new then £455 a year after that

i know most people who can afford this car wont bat an eyelid at this but this is just an example and alot more people will be effected that are not expecting it

then next year they change the system and put a higher tax on older cars!!!!!!!!!!!!! then what do you do?

3 years ago when i bought my car the tax was cheaper than the older IS200 to hep get the older cars off the road even though it was not a lot cheaper,and i just bought the car i wanted anyway.

at the end of the day its a stealth tax,robbing b :tsktsk: ds :)

Post April 2001? I thought i was post March 1st 2001??

It would be great for me if it was April 2001 - my car was registered 1st March 2001 - can someone please confirm which is the correct cut off date?

cars registered after march 1 2001.............www.direct.gov.uk/en/Newsroom/Budget2008/DG_073093 :)

ARGH! Because my car was registered bang on 1st March 01, i fall into the "on or after 1st March 2001" category, how f**king frustrating! :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

cars registered after march 1 2001.............www.direct.gov.uk/en/Newsroom/Budget2008/DG_073093 :)

ARGH! Because my car was registered bang on 1st March 01, i fall into the "on or after 1st March 2001" category, how f**king frustrating! :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

nevermind mate :lol: :winky:

Nah it wont happen as they only have data from 01 onwards :whistling:

im sure the robbing b :tsktsk: ds could find a name for a tax :lol: like old car tax or pre march 2001 tax

any scam to get more money :angry: :)

no your ok and one of the last ones

your car must be on a 'x' plate

cars up to march 31st are ok

to be sure go here

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

click 'vehicle enquiry' then 'next' then input you r reg and make to get the answer on what you will pay

to be sure go here

click 'vehicle enquiry' then 'next' then input you r reg and make to get the answer on what you will pay

Nope, i'm on a Y reg. It's saying 12 months is £210/year, therefore i believe i fall into the new £415/year category.

F**KERS

to be sure go here

Nope, i'm on a Y reg. It's saying 12 months is £210/year, therefore i believe i fall into the new £415/year category.

F**KERS

Its unfortunate that, but there is nothing we can do. It seems we are living in a dictatorial country now instead of a democratic one, we have little say on what happens in this country, it really annoys me because we pay the wages to the people who run this country but have little control. The only way out of this situation is to move abroad, this country is self destructing economically and socially!!!!!!. Its not only the tax increase on vehicles, its every thing else the government has taxed us on (hidden taxes). We may as well give them our monthly salary and let them decide how mush from that we actually get. :angry:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this government (or any future government) will find a way to increase the VED tax on pre March 2001 registered cars :crybaby:

We may as well give them our monthly salary and let them decide how mush from that we actually get.- My dad also says the same thing.

time to get out of the UK lads.... im glad i did.

low taxes - i pay 8.5%, some kantons/counties its 2%.

no road tax,

roads in very good condition,

effective policing,

no problems with gypos/pissheads etc some "assylum" seekers but the swiss have an effective deportation regime.

safe to walk at anytime in the streets

every man has an assult rifle at home but very rare to have gun crime,

oh and its clean!

I am seriously considering moving after i have finished my course and doing accounting abroad, the only problem is i wont to do my next course and i dont think i can do it abroad

sorry for going :offtopic:

If i try and sell my car next year i am going to have to drop the value just to get a buyer!! I have been overall shafted!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links