Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Gearbox Oil Change!

IRL

New here and to Lexus, I've bought a 98 GS300 with 134k on the clock. The box changes as smooth as you could wish for but when I'm comming up to say a roundabout and I let off the gas to slow down and then gas it again the box is slow to take up.

I've checked the oil level and I've followed the procedure but the level is about an inch over the top mark.

One thing I must say about the car is that for the miles on it(full Lexus history)the car seems so tight, no rattles or anything. Why didn't I go for Lexus before know. The only problem I have with it is the sat nav, if the were the only problems that I've had with my other cars I be as happy as a pig in the smelly stuff.

Cheers for any help you can give,

Will

Is this with the gearbox switch in PWR or normal? and do you have VSC switched on? they both make difference to how quickly the torque converter locks up and what gear is selected. Or they should make a difference.... is it always the same?

What procedure are you following to check the oil? Is that hot or cold?

Slow gear selection can be caused by worn bands in your gearbox. Do you take the gearbox into Neutral at traffic lights? as this causes wear on the bands.

Here's the test... fhow long does it take to engage Reverse? It should be longer than Drive, don't worry. But not seconds.

Overall, doesn't sound that bad mate. :)

I checked the oil when hot, after driving the the car and without turning it off I go through all the gears with a 2 second pause between gears, then with the car in park and still running I checked the oil.

I drive with the VSC and PWR on but will try a few different ways later today.

Good to know that you think that it doesen't sound too bad.

Cheers

Will

Is this with the gearbox switch in PWR or normal? and do you have VSC switched on? they both make difference to how quickly the torque converter locks up and what gear is selected. Or they should make a difference.... is it always the same?

What difference does VSC have on the autobox? I thought it was purely stability control? :whistling:

If anyone could tell me how to change the box fluid I'd be most greatfull
hi,get the gear box hot,park on level ground, drop sump plug,oh the oil is HOT,so don't burn your self :shutit: ,then just let it run out.Back to your problem,check your vacuum air pipes which control the kick down.This is a small vacuum pipe that runs from the intake to the back of the gear box.hope this helps B)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links