Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Isf - First Impressions

post-5399-1208710556.jpg

post-5399-1208710495.jpg

post-5399-1208710395.jpg

Most of the posts about the ISF are from those who don't & won't ever own one, and haven't driven one either. Here are the first impressions of my ISF as a road car. Straight away, it puts a big silly grin on your face and it stays there.

When you see it, it looks much better than all the pics on your PC. Where the IS 250 is bland to the point of ugly; the ISF has much more purposeful lines and is a good looking car. The interior is very plain and quite dark with black (really comfortable & supportive) seats, black fittings, flooring, dashboard, roof lining and slightly tinted windows.

When it starts up from cold there is a powerful V8 grumble loud enough to annoy the neighbours, but which soon settles. As you drive it in normal traffic, it is ultra smooth, quiet and not at all a beast, using all 8 gears to give good mileage - so imperceptibly you need to set the display to show gear-changes to know when they happen. Parking in tight spots is really good with both front and rear sensors plus a reversing camera which shows on-screen the path the car will take. As you give it some stick, at 3600 rpm the exhaust note opens up with a very healthy V8 bark, very shortly after which you have exceeded legal speed limits. As to handling, I have only had it for 3 days and am treating it gently. I leave it to those who have had their ISF a bit longer to comment on this.

The ISF is worth every penny - but with sunroof, extended warranty, prepaid service, gap insurance, separate tyre insurance and a Tracker necessary for road insurance; it took a mountain of them to prise it off the forecourt.

Why buy the ISF? Firstly, build quality plus legendary reliability that BMW just can't offer, and costs much more with Audi & Mercedes. Secondly, it is so useable - the BMW M3 is horrible in traffic although great on the track, and the Audi & Merc V8s so big that there is never anywhere to park them. Finally, the ISF is a Lexus - a choice for thoughtful people, as Audis & Mercs are for those who think with their wallets, and BMWs for people who sit on the little bits they think with.

Good photos don't do the ISF justice at the best of times - and mine are not good

WOW - excellent to hear you own one. It sounds very impressive for a Lexus.

I have one important question - how many cupholders does it have, and are they robust?

Thanks.

So sorry, but I don't care. When I'm in the car I drive it. I go home to sit around drinking coffee and listen to sounds.

I have one important question - how many cupholders does it have, and are they robust?

Thanks.

So sorry, but I don't care. When I'm in the car I drive it. I go home to sit around drinking coffee and listen to sounds.

calm down fella. it was a light hearted question that only needed a light hearted response. :unsure:

be good to see a pic of the IS-F beast anyway...

Good write up, im well jealous.

Im pleased your happy with it too, dont forget we like to see pics too :D

Thanks. Pics will follow if it ever stops raining except when I'm at work. But they don't look good in photos anyway.

Thanks.

Oh, since you actually own one, I wanted to know if it still has the creature comforts associated with a Lexus. After all, up till now a Lexus is known as a car that pampers and cocoons it's occupants. I mean the cupholders on high end BMWs are pretty crappy compared to the robust ones on Lexus cars.

Thanks.

Oh, since you actually own one, I wanted to know if it still has the creature comforts associated with a Lexus. After all, up till now a Lexus is known as a car that pampers and cocoons it's occupants. I mean the cupholders on high end BMWs are pretty crappy compared to the robust ones on Lexus cars.

The ISF looks after you very well with separate climate control for either side and controlled heating/cooling for the rear, full spec multimedia/navigation centre, 4 supple, supportive & comfortable leather seats with memory adjustment as also with the steering wheel which powers out of the way when you switch off. Good thick tailored carpet mats. All the plastic sliding and hinged bits are well made and look durable. The fitments are almost identical to the top end IS250, but the wood replica is replaced with carbon-fibre replica. The only criticism is that it is a bit gloomy inside because virtually everything is black.

The ISF looks after you very well with separate climate control for either side and controlled heating/cooling for the rear, full spec multimedia/navigation centre, 4 supple, supportive & comfortable leather seats with memory adjustment as also with the steering wheel which powers out of the way when you switch off. Good thick tailored carpet mats. All the plastic sliding and hinged bits are well made and look durable. The fitments are almost identical to the top end IS250, but the wood replica is replaced with carbon-fibre replica. The only criticism is that it is a bit gloomy inside because virtually everything is black.

And all that you mention here is not new or innovative for a new exciting car oh and the g/box is crap...coz Tiff says so :P

But saying that i'd have one any day of the week :D , i'll look out for you but then you may not be the type to acknowledge other Lexi owners so i will bow my head in shame if we ever pass each other as you think so lowly of others.

Im off to the towers now to recieve my punishment :D

The ISF is worth every penny

You haven't driven it properly yet so how can you say that already?

legendary reliability

hmm, lets hope it is more legendary than the diesel. Bit early to say that for a brand new model. Lets hope you follow up the first time it ends up back at Lexus ;)

the BMW M3 is horrible in traffic although great on the track

I'm assuming by those statements that you have you have owned an M3??

and BMWs for people who sit on the little bits they think with.

As the answer to above is yes, it is interesting you are slagging off what you have been at some point :whistling:

Thanks.

Interesting - thanks for sharing that with us.

So in theory, we could start to see people making IS250 into replica IS-Fs, a bit like people buy 318i and put all the kit on to pretend it's an M3. So I could go out buy a top end IS250, swap the wood for carbon fibre and I have the same interior as an IS-F?

If so, that's a bit pants isn't it?

Oh actually it's ok, since I'm not ever going to be able to own one, I'm not really bothered.

lol. This thread has taken a funny side me thinks. Few good points you brought up tigerfish. Another thing i don't agree with isf owner is sayin the 250 looks on the verge of being ugly. The isf looks virtually the same apart from front bumper and bonnet and side vents and the rear exhausts. Shape as a whole is same.?

I own an isf and have also had is250 sport and two is200 sports and the reason for staying with lexus is really the build quality and reliabity, yes I can assure you the isf is comfortable as all lexus and the gears work well for me, a relaxing ride in auto, fun ride in manual, thats it really,

legendary reliability

hmm, lets hope it is more legendary than the diesel. Bit early to say that for a brand new model. Lets hope you follow up the first time it ends up back at Lexus ;)

As the answer to above is yes, it is interesting you are slagging off what you have been at some point :whistling:

legendary reliability

Lexus reliabilty is an industry legend. But had to have a new gearbox on my IS200LE straight away. It was replaced promptly with no fuss and then no problems at all. Although no ball of fire, it was a great really well made car I would have kept if I had the space.

ISF worth every penny? A question of comparisons - for a car like that from BMW, Audi or Merc, everything you would want as standard is a high cost extra.

Yes I've driven a demonstrator M3 which is the main reason I didn't buy one.

lol. This thread has taken a funny side me thinks. Few good points you brought up tigerfish. Another thing i don't agree with isf owner is sayin the 250 looks on the verge of being ugly. The isf looks virtually the same apart from front bumper and bonnet and side vents and the rear exhausts. Shape as a whole is same.?
the ISF does look similar to the IS250 in some ways, but bearing in mind the only panels in common are the roof and doors, and it is lower with different wheels it does manage to look quite different - I can see the ISF and a IS250 just down the road for comparison.

And all that you mention here is not new or innovative for a new exciting car oh and the g/box is crap...coz Tiff says so :P

But saying that i'd have one any day of the week :D , i'll look out for you but then you may not be the type to acknowledge other Lexi owners so i will bow my head in shame if we ever pass each other as you think so lowly of others.

Im off to the towers now to recieve my punishment :D

Glad to see you in your IS200 sport any day. I don't think Tiff liked the ISF gearbox because it wouldn't let him destroy it - because its a joy in auto, & am starting to find how much fun it is in manual.

agree it does look bit different from certain angles etc. seen some guys is250 in the states with the isf wheels and if he just lowered it would look lot more like it. what fuel consumption u gettin out of it?

the ISF does look similar to the IS250 in some ways, but bearing in mind the only panels in common are the roof and doors, and it is lower with different wheels it does manage to look quite different - I can see the ISF and a IS250 just down the road for comparison.

you sure its only the roof & doors ?

bonnet looks the same as does the boot.........i'm no expert though..............

fancy meeting up at Santa Pod someday soon :whistling: then a track day to see how my IS350 Compressor compares :question:

you sure its only the roof & doors ?

bonnet looks the same as does the boot.........i'm no expert though..............

fancy meeting up at Santa Pod someday soon :whistling: then a track day to see how my IS350 Compressor compares :question:

bonnet is definitely different, its got a big hump in it !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links