Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Please

Rory

I have a dent on my door pillar, I haven't been to get it priced up for repair yet, but there's a green door on eBay too, so advice is required, what would you do?

Heres the dent, a couple of close ups and one from a little distance to show where abouts exactly it is:

19042008042.jpg

19042008043.jpg

19042008044.jpg

It has been there since I got the car, so I don't know what caused it, the door on eBay is £75+£50 postage, but theres always the risk of the condition of the rest of the door being worse than mine, don't want to cure one problem to have to deal with another...

If the dent is accessible it can easily be knocked out by people like Dentwizard - I've used them before and the work is pretty impressive, cost is around £40-80 depending on the level of work involved.

Is the paintwork damaged as well or is that just a reflection? If the paint is fine, I'd give this a go, or even first just try a suction to see if that gets it out.

I agree with your thinking that replacing the door could create more problems than it solves...............

the vertical line to the right of the dent is unfortunately a crack, not a reflection, hence why I took shots from different angles, that bit bothers me more than the actual dent itself, but i'm hoping I could treat that part with something...?

• 4 weeks later...

Easy enough to repair.

If you were to buy a 2nd hand door - you have the cost of buying it & then its got to be in mint condition & exactly the same colour as the one you are taking off, otherwise not only will you need it painting - but there is every chance the body shop will insist that they paint the rear door & wing for a 100% colour match.

So i would go for the repair - a good bodyshop will remove the door, grind out the damaged area & weld the split. Then fill with fillar, prime & paint.

The only trouble i can think of is the paint around the windows is almost mirror finish (i belive it's black no matter what colour is200 you have) - so the garage might need to paint the top of the other door as well to get a good match.

I would think your looking at around £250 i know that might seem expensive but there is probally about 5hrs work involved + materials/paint & the dredded VAT

So if you can get a mint exact colour door for under that, then go for it.

If i can be of any further help, please IM me (ive got almost 10 years pannel beating/spraying exprience) so always happy to offer any help/advice that i can

Thanks for the info Birty,

if I can find anyone who can do it without a labour charge i'm laffing, lol, I may put that on hold for a while, i'll just have it treated where the crease is for now...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links