Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

F Sport Upgrades!

Sorry, did have a quick look to see if they'd been posted before but must have miss that.

:offtopic: Ceramic brakes, is is just ceramic discs and pads or are the actual calipers different in some way?

My boss has some SLR ones on his Supra but with just normal discs and pads in so i know they can just be changed but wondered if they were different at all?

Stav

Sorry, did have a quick look to see if they'd been posted before but must have miss that.

:offtopic: Ceramic brakes, is is just ceramic discs and pads or are the actual calipers different in some way?

My boss has some SLR ones on his Supra but with just normal discs and pads in so i know they can just be changed but wondered if they were different at all?

Stav

Are you querying the ceramic pads I have for mine or the Carbon Ceramic discs in the 'F' Sport range? The ones I have are ceramic based low dust pads on conventional (cast iron) disc material, but the Carbon Ceramic discs are something else altogether....which is why they cost an arm and a leg, well both arms and legs to be truthful :whistling: .

From the Company that makes the material:-

clear.gif

Combining low weight with exceptional strength and hardness – Carbon-Ceramic is a ceramic composite material, composed of carbon fiber within a silicon carbide matrix, so-called carbon fiber reinforced silicon carbide (C/SiC).

Carbon-Ceramic brake discs offer substantial improvements over the dynamics of sports and luxury cars in several fundamental areas. This new composite technology sets a new benchmark in decisive user benefit aspects, such as safety and durability.

Carbon-Ceramic brake performance is revolutionary. The ceramic brake disc achieves not only very high, but also consistent frictional coefficients, maintaining them independent from temperature and weather conditions.

Carbon-Ceramic brake discs offer a tremendous weight advantage (about 65%) over traditional grey-cast iron components. This reduces the weight of the suspension and means a reduction in unsprung masses with a further improvement of shock absorber response and behavior.

Carbon-Ceramic brake discs are designed to last the entire lifetime of a car. Thanks to the non-iron based surface, corrosion is totally avoided, increasing the life span of the brake disc.

No not the discs or pads (Further :offtopic: how do you find the Ceramic pads as i looked at a set for mine)

But it the calipers themselves were any different at all? or is it the basic same setup but different discs and pads?

Stav

I don't know much about it but I always thought that technically carbon ceramic brakes are the same as normal brakes - it's just the material that changes and that's what makes all the difference...........I'd like to find out the real answer for sure though if anyone knows..........

Back to the upgrades though, I do like those wheels :)

No not the discs or pads (Further :offtopic: how do you find the Ceramic pads as i looked at a set for mine)

But it the calipers themselves were any different at all? or is it the basic same setup but different discs and pads?

Stav

The pads I have are for the OEM IS350 Calipers, which are the same calipers as used on the new GS300. The OEM ceramic pads were a fix for the Brake dust TSIB and it was issued for both the IS350 and the IS250 so there should be ceramic pads for the IS250 calipers too.

Front calipers are standard 4 pot on the 350, 2 pot on the 250. The OEM ceramic pads have marginally less bite than the high friction pads originally fitted which generate so much dust, which is why I over compensated with the 350 pot calipers and larger diameter discs.

Ceramic based pads for the Supra calipers on yours, there's probably more makes available:

http://pagiduk.com/products/rs14-black-ceramic-based.php

Thought as much, do they get better though when there warmer?

I was looking at these: Hawk Pads

Stav

Those Hawk pads look very good, I'll be needing new pads for the rear :unsure: .

I think the original brake material is far too grabby, probably high friction and high wear on pads and discs to compensate for the poor spec....small diameter discs and two pot calipers to fit behind the 16" & 17" rims. I cannot directly compare the ceramic pads with the original material using the 250 two pot caliper, but peeps in the States who have had the ceramic pads on both the 250 & 350 have said the braking is more progressive and has less fade when driven hard, as well of course as not generating all that dust.

I like those wheels too, although you'd have to have a BBK behind those open spokes or it just wouldn't look right B) .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links