Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Sport Mk1 1997 Exhaust

pandymo

Hello,

I have noticed that my exhaust has started blowing - does anyone know where to source cheap parts for this car? I have tried www.lexus-parts.com as suggested by many people here on the forums, but that website appears to have closed. I want to keep the car original, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg from lexus. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried any of the standard exhaust places? Wichever way you go, it is gonna be expensive though unless you try the breakers yards.

Have you checked where it is blowing? Mine (and a few others) have blown from the first joint after the downpipes join, an easy fix with a new gasket from Lexus.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you tried any of the standard exhaust places? Wichever way you go, it is gonna be expensive though unless you try the breakers yards.

Have you checked where it is blowing? Mine (and a few others) have blown from the first joint after the downpipes join, an easy fix with a new gasket from Lexus.

Hiya,

Just back from Kwik Fit - it's the backbox that's gone - I can see where it's blowing from. Any ideas where to get a cheap one? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

Just back from Kwik Fit - it's the backbox that's gone - I can see where it's blowing from. Any ideas where to get a cheap one? Thanks in advance.

I bit the bullet, and got the lot done from Lexus in Leicester. Was really pleased with the service them gave me (and the 15% LOC discount). I wasn't pleased with the IS250 that they gave me for the day - how uncomfortable are the seats??? Also the wing mirrors are bigger than my Transit van!

In total my bill came to £980 from Lexus. This included...

• 'B' Service
  • Every possible fluid change (inc brake fluid)
  • Someone had put the front brake pads on upside down, so they corrected this
  • On of the calipers was sticking (which I knew about) so they fixed this with the aid of a new 'slider'.
  • Cam belt change
  • New exhaust back box
  • Front bottom ball joints

Anyone got any views on if this was a good deal?

Drives like brand new now :)

It's a lot of money for that age of car, but fair enough. I would have found a reliable local garage to do the work.

Don't want to be bursting your balloon, but you'd have to spend a lot of money on a 11 year old car to bring it into concours condition where it drives like new. :shifty:

It's a lot of money for that age of car, but fair enough. I would have found a reliable local garage to do the work.

Don't want to be bursting your balloon, but you'd have to spend a lot of money on a 11 year old car to bring it into concours condition where it drives like new. :shifty:

Yeh, probably 40k for a new one... this one has cost me around 3k in total to buy and get right so I can't complain. Plus I think these look a lot nicer than the new ones.

Sounds like a fair price as far as Lexus dealers go. Like Maneesh, worth finding an independent that you can use (not that they would've got an exhaust bit any cheaper mind you). As an example, the rear crank oil seal had gone on mine. Lexus quoted £940 for the job, The independent I always use for the MOT was £250. The torque convertor seal had also gone so the total bill came to £313. A bit of a saving :shifty:

Sounds like a fair price as far as Lexus dealers go. Like Maneesh, worth finding an independent that you can use (not that they would've got an exhaust bit any cheaper mind you). As an example, the rear crank oil seal had gone on mine. Lexus quoted £940 for the job, The independent I always use for the MOT was £250. The torque convertor seal had also gone so the total bill came to £313. A bit of a saving :shifty:

Hi Mate,

Can you suggest a decent independant garage I can use in the future? I did try looking before biting the bullet with the main dealer, but couldn't really find much. Don't mind going up as far as Derby.... :)

Hi Mate,

Can you suggest a decent independant garage I can use in the future? I did try looking before biting the bullet with the main dealer, but couldn't really find much. Don't mind going up as far as Derby.... :)

You have JEM in Hendon, NW London, and you have Westfield Motors In Essex. Those 2 garages are run by ex-Lexus people. I'm sure there are other garages that people in the South East have used.

Hi Mate,

You have JEM in Hendon, NW London, and you have Westfield Motors In Essex. Those 2 garages are run by ex-Lexus people. I'm sure there are other garages that people in the South East have used.

Ok thanks for your help, I will give JEM a try next time.

Hi Mate,

The place I use is called Westend Motors on the Cumberland Road Industrial Estate in Loughborough.