Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heads Up - Older Cars No Longer Exempt From New Higher Car Tax Rates

pb3

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Times Article

Looks like the exemptions for older cars have been quietly dropped.

I take this to mean that Y reg larger engined cars with high CO2 emission rates like the GS430 (296 g/km) will now be caught up in the net.

My understanding from previous posts on the topic was that Y reg would be exempt, with 51reg and newer attracting the new rates.

Seems like this has now changed :(

GS300: 281g/km (just checked my V5).

For those interested, the list of duty can be found on page 122 of this document.

Darling? B***ard more like. I wouldn't be surprised if this costs them the election, they've gone too far this time. Between this, fuel and those damned scamera vans, it's daylight robbery.

The subject has been brought up on LOC a number of times since the budget.

Dont know why it has taken the papers so long to clock it.

Hi Bobski,

The topic of the new taxes has indeed come up quite a few times in the past. :)

However I'm almost certain that the new bands did not cover Y reg until now (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and only applied to 51reg or later. It is this particular twist that I'm highlighting.

Ouch, that's nasty. Keep it up and I'll be making up the difference by getting my own LPG tank and paying 20p a litre - sod the duty.

LPG has gone up to around 53p/litre round here. Not heard of any tax rise though.

Ok, lets clear this up as there is a lot of confusion regarding car tax rates:

If you own a Lexus which is registered on or after 1st March 2001, your road tax will be based on CO2 output, which means £400 road tax a year.

If you own a Lexus which was registered before 1st March 2001 (eg: H,J,K,L,M,N,P,R,S,T,V,W or X registered cars), your road is not based on CO2 output, but your road tax is based on engine size, under 1549cc and above 1549cc- which means £185 road tax this year.

Have I got this right?

Look at your logbook (V5), if there is a CO2 rating listed, that means your road tax will be charged on CO2 output, if not then your road tax will be based on the engine size. :crybaby:

my July registered 'Y' Reg IS200 was always gonna cop the increase as it is 227g/km (I think) .

Lil worse than that.....

# Manual: 233 g/km

# Automatic: 239 g/km

Review Centre

Are these figures average for IS200, because once the gov realise were paying less tax for having a pre March 2001 car then they will change the rules to include all cars regardless of age and tax will be based on the reading off MOT.

Are these figures average for IS200, because once the gov realise were paying less tax for having a pre March 2001 car then they will change the rules to include all cars regardless of age and tax will be based on the reading off MOT.

This is what I am thinking, I've got a October 2000 registered IS200 (X plate), the gov't know that a IS200 registered on or after March 2001 has the same engine as my October 2000 registered IS200, so like you say what's to stop them jacking up the tax on pre-March 2001 IS200's?

The tax rates apply to cars registered after 1st March, but that's not when the Y reg stopped. Although the new year plates now get issued on 1st March (ie 08 plate cars were first issued on 1st March, when the 51 reg came out it was on the 1st August 2001.

I'm caught like this - my car was registered in early May 2001 but is on a Y plate.

March 2001 onwards was always given as the start for the new bands.

R - Aug 1997 - July 1998

S - Aug 1998 - Feb 1999

T - Mar 1999 - Aug 1999

V - Sep 1999 - Feb 2000

W - Mar 2000 - Aug 2000

X - Sep 2000 - Feb 2001

Y - Is from Mar 2001 - Aug 2001

So always did include all vehicles from Y reg.

Shame as I was always thinking of getting an IS300 rather than an putting an SC in mine.

That wont be happening now though.

They really have killed off the 2nd hand market for a lot of cars.

tosspots

for those still unsure or cant find thier reg document go here:

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

click 'vehicle enquiry' then 'next' and put in your(or anydbody elses) reg and make to get the reg date and co2

any car pre 2001 will NOT show a co2 so your safe

yes Darling HAS killed the second hand market as far as post 2001 cars are concerned, i have been trying to change for a few weeks and i can tell you something is up in the second hand car market with huge drops of high emmision cars(mine has gone down 2k in 2 months) and the industry is VERY concerned

meaning huge losses for us on our cars and jobs for the car industry in general created by this tax worry and fuel rises

so to sumerise Darling has:

lost us loads of cash value on our cars making changing to newer more efficient model impossible

actively promoted keeping old(pre 2001) high polluting cars on the road by making them cheaper to by tax for

caused the motor industry to loose millions on cars on thier forecorts and put jobs on the line

pis...d everyone off big time and lost the next election!

and to prove its nothing more than a stealth tax, if you modify your car to produce water from its exhaust and get scientific proof it dosnt matter, whatever your reg document says the co2 is thats what you wil be taxed on....robbing ba..ards

have i missed anything??

Wouldn't have got my vote at the next election anyway mind, round here it's a two-horse race between Conservative and Lib-Dem.