Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should I Or Shouldn't I?

Well, the 200 charged is (roughly) the same power as the 300, and as it's all genuine Toyota parts it does not affect reliability, the 200 standard is just not as fast as it should be! The torque increase is amazing!

But for yourself, yeh a 300 may be a better option, i personally prefer a manual though.

Yeah, I'm getting on a bit so I'd actually prefer an auto :shifty:

I thought the insurance on a modified 200 would end up being more than a standard 300 anyway. Probably not much in it though (and if I was really that bothered about the cost then I wouldn't be considering a Lexus!).

One of the things I like about 300 over the 200 auto is the tiptronic buttons on the steering wheel so you can dabble with the gear changes if you're in the mood.

(BTW, "innocence is no defence" - it's from a really old and obscure SPK song)

Fair enough mate.

If you are getting on a bit (your words, not mine!) then insurance shouldn't be much of an issue, try being under 25 in this day and age and insuring a modded one (see signature!).

Good luck anyway, the 300s are obviosly a lot rarer over here, hope you find a good one.

With the current climate to tax everything regardless of requirements id go, and will be soon, for a 220d

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: (sorry :blush: )

If I could buy a 220d for £9k then I'd agree with you - unfortunately my budget won't stretch that far.

• 2 weeks later...

Slight change of plan - I'm looking at a pre-March 2001 IS200SE Navigator at the moment (mainly to avoid the tax changes!).

Is it possible to have the Lexus satnav upgraded so it's aware of any recent road layout changes? I'm guessing it's a DVD based system. Can this be done DIY or does it have to be done by a Lexus dealer? If so, does anyone know the rough cost?

can i ask a really dumb question in how comes tax will be cheaper for IS200's reg'd before 2001? I'm also on the look for a IS200 at the min and hopefully will find one, fuel doesn't bother me as i only commute 15miles perweek for work. Also on a slight thread hijack how does mileage affect the IS200's i.e. is 100,000miles on the clock going to kill the car or do they run pretty well as most of the jap straight 6's do?

can i ask a really dumb question in how comes tax will be cheaper for IS200's reg'd before 2001? I'm also on the look for a IS200 at the min and hopefully will find one, fuel doesn't bother me as i only commute 15miles perweek for work. Also on a slight thread hijack how does mileage affect the IS200's i.e. is 100,000miles on the clock going to kill the car or do they run pretty well as most of the jap straight 6's do?

Go to Parker's price guide on the web and look up road tax and fill in their ready reckoner and you will see why the 01 cars are preferable.

Just my luck to have bought a 52 plater last year eh! :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, if you buy a Lex thats registered before 2001 then the tax is alot cheaper cos its worked out on the engine size, where as now its based on emmissions.

Pre 01 car at 1.6 or lower are £125 per year and over 1.6 is £185 per year. In 2009 it will cost you over £300 for the year if its 01 reg or newer.

Iv just got a bargain (i think) W reg (2000) Lexus IS200 SE with 65000 miles in mint condition for £4695, will be low on tax and cos its cheap i dont care about the petrol, much :unsure: