Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Long Do They Last?

Hi All,

My RX300 is now nearly 7 yrs old and has done 93,000 miles and so is not worth much. Its been practically faultless (1 bulb change!).

We use it as a 3rd car and it still gets serviced by Lexus, BUT, the question is how long do these RX's go on for

until they start letting you down? I'm toying with the idea of trading it in for a newer model but only if the reliability

will be suspect.

So, has anyone got an older RX with interstellar milage or knowledge of what to expect please?

Thanks,

Buzz.

How long your RX lasts depends on how well it is maintained, but by the sounds of it your RX has been well looked after- can't see no reason for it last until/beyond 300,000/400,000 miles. Regular servicing using quality parts is the key to the survival of a car.

For comparision, look at the early LS400's (90/91/92) reg'd cars, many of them seem to be still on the road, ok some may have tatty bodywork, but chances are that most will be mechnically sound. I've got a IS200 (105k) on a X plate (2000), its going to be with me until its dead. Now that the new road tax rules have come in from next year, it makes sense to me to keep my IS200, as my road tax is not based on CO2 (it is a pre-March 2001 car).

Hope this helps.

Hi Kam,

That's pretty much what I thought too. I did have an LS400 for a few yrs and that was brick built and will go on

for donkeys years.

Just wondered what the top mileage was for people on here with an RX300.

Thanks,

Buzz.

Change the gearbox fluid, it isn't specified in the maintenance schedule but many failures reported in the US if the fluid isn't replaced.

Check the colour of the fluid on the dipstick, it should be nice and bright red but will probably be dark red/brown.

• Like 1

Thanks Colin,

How bizarre that its not in the schedule...... I'll make sure that's done next service.

Buzz.

Thanks Colin,

How bizarre that its not in the schedule...... I'll make sure that's done next service.

Buzz.

It's not on the schedule because it is designed to be for life, and on the GS and LS it is, however on the RX it seems to get very dirty.

I have a mk1 2000 on an X plate - she's done 130k and still going strong.

I've had an oxy sensor and light bulb go along with exhaust pipe so not bad in 8 years.

Speaking to my service centre mechanically they should last 2-300 k miles - if anything is going to fail it will be electrical, which Lexus buy in rather than make!

Thanks Ian,

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll keep hold of the RX and will get the gearbox

oil done too.

....... guess I'd better go and clean it then!

Buzz.

All cars these days should be capable of big milage. Talking to taxi drivers on holiday in Rhodes last year I discovered they were running their E Class Mercs for a million miles (over 1.5 mil Km) in 10 years routinely and even their Peugeot 405s were doing at least 1/2 this - and taxi miles are hard miles!

Hi All,

My RX300 is now nearly 7 yrs old and has done 93,000 miles and so is not worth much. Its been practically faultless (1 bulb change!).

We use it as a 3rd car and it still gets serviced by Lexus, BUT, the question is how long do these RX's go on for

until they start letting you down? I'm toying with the idea of trading it in for a newer model but only if the reliability

will be suspect.

So, has anyone got an older RX with interstellar milage or knowledge of what to expect please?

Thanks,

Buzz.

When we bought our RX as an AUC from Lexus Croydon almost two-and-a-bit years ago, amongst the long list of work they completed, I was very pleased to note they had (as part of the 40K service) changed the ATF as well (stating on the invoice they used a 80W-90 oil). I'm not sure if the ATF change forms part of the 'usual' service regime given how proudly many manufacturers proclaim their gearboxes to be 'sealed for life' - I was certainly pleased to note it had been changed and that it is possible to check the levels of the ATF as Lexus provide a dipstick.

Its always best to change the ATF more often that recommended - but it might be worth people checking to see if this has been done as part of the 40K service?

• Like 1

Change the gearbox fluid, it isn't specified in the maintenance schedule but many failures reported in the US if the fluid isn't replaced.

Check the colour of the fluid on the dipstick, it should be nice and bright red but will probably be dark red/brown.

Hi Just had a full, 80,000 mile service on my 2001 RX300 SE at Lexus Cardiff.

As usual the level of customer care was excellent and included a courtesy car. an IS 250. Items replaced included gearbox oil at £18.40 which I assume was used to replace the rear diff oil and transfer gearbox oil as indicated on the service schedule.

As you say the schedule only requires that the automatic transmission fluid is checked. I will get this changd as I intend keeping the car for some time.

The cost of the service was £273 inc VAT and discount. Lexus Cardiff have a scheme where Lexus vehicles over 3 years old qualify for increasing discounts as they get older. My vehicle at 6+ yrs old qualified for 20% off labour and 10% off parts. This increases to 40% off labour and 20% off parts for a vehicle over 10 years old

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

"Lexus Cardiff have a scheme where Lexus vehicles over 3 years old qualify for increasing discounts as they get older. My vehicle at 6+ yrs old qualified for 20% off labour and 10% off parts. This increases to 40% off labour and 20% off parts for a vehicle over 10 years old"

Well, well ! I've been having my RX300 [2002] serviced by Cardiff Lexus all these years and hadn't heard of that scheme. I've just phoned for the leaflet. Very many thanks for mentioning it - I'm about to have the mega 60,000 service (when I'll ask them to change the Auto transmission fluid in addition to the routine stuff).

Cymro

Changing the gearbox oil does this also aply to ALL lexus`s IS,LS,GS,RX auto & man.? ive got an IS200 " 05 " plate ( man ) will that need the the oil changing? and would Lexus dealership check it at service time...p.s mines done 42,000

thanx for help. :winky:

• Like 1