Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driveshaft 2jz-gte Swap

I was wondering which driveshaft is best to use with an 2jz-gte swap.

I have been reading a lot about this swap but no one describes the modifications to the driveshaft.

On the usa forum I know the shafts aren't simular.

The plan is to use the 2jz-gte autobox on the is200 rear diff.

Are the plug and play shafts from another type of car or do I need a custom shaft?

For my conversion I had to get the front section with sliding spline from the supra prop-shaft cut and re-welded to the rear section of the standard IS200 prop-shaft. This obviously has to be done by a professional machine shop as it has to be balanced like a new tyre would.

That was my first Idea as well, but I was wondering if the welds wouldn't snap under the pressure of the torque.

How much torque does your engine produce?

Your standard prop-shaft is welded anyway. I got mine done by Hoy Engineering in N.Ireland. They cut it, welded it and balanced it. I have never heard of any of their props failing and I have never felt any vibration at all from mine. I told the guy I was going to be running around 600bhp and he said it would have no problem at all handling that power.

If it is done professionally it will be fine. It is not something you wanna take a chance on either because if it snaps it could cut right through the fuel line and brake lines which are directly beside it :crybaby:

That was my first Idea as well, but I was wondering if the welds wouldn't snap under the pressure of the torque.

Your standard prop-shaft is welded anyway. I got mine done by Hoy Engineering in N.Ireland. They cut it, welded it and balanced it. I have never heard of any of their props failing and I have never felt any vibration at all from mine. I told the guy I was going to be running around 600bhp and he said it would have no problem at all handling that power.

If it is done professionally it will be fine. It is not something you wanna take a chance on either because if it snaps it could cut right through the fuel line and brake lines which are directly beside it :crybaby:

I'm planning to have it done professionally. My plan is to get these things done before I start with the transplant that way I don't have to wait for parts. I will PM you for some more details if you don't mind.

I'm planning to have it done professionally. My plan is to get these things done before I start with the transplant that way I don't have to wait for parts. I will PM you for some more details if you don't mind.

I wouldn't advise to get the prop shaft done before the engine and gearbox have found their final position in the car. Depending on what gearbox and engine mounts you use there will be small differences in the length of prop-shaft needed. The sliding spline section will give some compensation for length but only very little as it is designed only to slide in and out to a certain degree. If you get this wrong you could end up with the spline sliding apart or rounding itself under high torque or even the spline being pushed together too much.

I had to mount my engine and gearbox in place and get the rear section of the IS prop-shaft (bit connected to the diff) held in position and then measured it accuretely. A professional shop will tell you what amount of movement you need to have either way.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links