Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi i am new to this forum and am looking for some advice if possible.

I currently have a E90 BMW 320 D which i am looking to change, one of the cars i am consedering is the Lexus IS 220D SE.

But i have a few questions that need answering if possible :

1 : According to the Lexus website they stae the car has a kerb weight of 2075 KG ! (surely this can't be right as that is my BMW weighs in at 1500 KG)

2 : The emmissions are stated as 168 g/km , but this seems very high by any modern day diesel especially from an environmentally consious manufacturer like toyota.

3 : The dealer has informed me that 6th gear cannot be used below 80 mph ? (is this really true when the uk speed limit is 70 mph)

if you guys can help to clear up some of my answers , I would appreciate it as i do like the interior of the lexus.

Hi i am new to this forum and am looking for some advice if possible.

I currently have a E90 BMW 320 D which i am looking to change, one of the cars i am consedering is the Lexus IS 220D SE.

But i have a few questions that need answering if possible :

1 : According to the Lexus website they stae the car has a kerb weight of 2075 KG ! (surely this can't be right as that is my BMW weighs in at 1500 KG)

2 : The emmissions are stated as 168 g/km , but this seems very high by any modern day diesel especially from an environmentally consious manufacturer like toyota.

3 : The dealer has informed me that 6th gear cannot be used below 80 mph ? (is this really true when the uk speed limit is 70 mph)

if you guys can help to clear up some of my answers , I would appreciate it as i do like the interior of the lexus.

the unladen weight is 1560kg,are you looking at max weight.

as for sixth gear my car cruises at 70 in 6th on motorway with 50+mpg at just over 1600 rpm.

guess no one replies on this forum ?

Patience , Patience mate. People don't live on this site.

I have had a 220d for two months now.

I can happily use mine in sixth at 70mph or even under that if the road is flat.

As for the weight issue I had thought the same when I saw it too. As said before this is the maximum weight allowed.

Yes there may be more eco friendly diesels out there but is not that bad for engine that has been in service from 2005. It is also a 2.2 L unit.

Despite these small issues I am really enjoying mine. My not be he best in class but would still get my vote over all off it's rivals time and time again....

Jonathon,

I am still in my first week with my IS220D after having an E90 - some things I have noticed:

(1) The Lexus is a hell of alot quieter than the BM

(2) The interior of the Lexus is much nicer (with a bucketload of buttons which I havent all figured out yet) - the E90 has pretty much the same interior as the E46 and is a bit bland.

(3) MPG - half this forum is dominated by the subject and with the price of diesel atm it is definitely something worth considering - I was getting 56mpg from the E90, in my first week I am currently getting 42mpg in the Lexus, at 700 miles per week it all adds up

(4) I just dont get the lower gears in the Lexus - when you get are in first or second in the E90 you will take off, in the Lexus its a very slow start, Im still getting the hang of the shift so I may grow to love it. Not likely though.

(5) The Lexus is much smoother and torquier once you get through the gears, great for motorways

(6) Downside on the BMW is that everyone and their dog currently have one

(7) Backseat space seems to be similar, boot capacity is bigger in the Lexus

In summary the Lexus is a much nicer looking car inside and out, if you spend your life on motorways the Lexus is best, urban driving could prove to be a frustration with the weak 1st and 2nd.

Thanks for the replies, thats cleared up th weight issue (I think Lexus need s to change their website as it does not state the word max for kerb weight)

The interior is deffo nicer than the BMW & i do spend alot of the time on the motorway so it could be good.

The fuel consumption bothers me as my current E90 running a tuning box returns 51 mpg constantly, I drive it hard as well.

I really cannot beleive that a Lexus gearbox can be so much of a mess up ! If the car is so slow in the first 2 gears& 6th cannot be pulled from 60 mph then why have they not changed the ratios to sort the problem out.

Do you know if any revisions are due to help drop the emmissions, or will a hybrid petrol be soon available?

I will go for a test drive, but from what i am reading about the fuel consumption & general drive train problems I will not get my hopes up.

There are alot of the new 3 series about , that is true but maybe its because it is just a great drive ! ( vastly under specced , overpriced)

thanks

It's horses for courses really.

If you're buying a car purely on fuel economy, go elsewhere.

I really don't understand the beef about the 6th gear - do you think they're going to fit a different set of ratio's for a car supplied in say, Germany to one for the UK??

As an all round performer, I'm more than satisfied with my 220d. I've driven shed loads of cars and for comfort this one takes some beating, especially if you do long journeys.

Ive just had my is220d back from the bodyshop, and after a stint in a E220 CDI I cannot describe how good it feels to be back in the LExus, not saying the E class is a bad car but Id forgotten how good the Lexus was.

Hi,

One thing on the 1st and 2nd slow gear start. I have had mine for 2 months and noticed this; my uncle has had is for a good two years and he says there is a fix for it. The ECU needs to be re-mapped. Mine goes in on Friday next week so I will let you all know the outcome. On the MPG I am only getting 34 and that is mainly around town and the tank is 31MPG but I also have a problem with it starting; sometimes when it starts it stops and then I have to give it some diesel.

Hope this help,

Roger

Thanks for the replies, thats cleared up th weight issue (I think Lexus need s to change their website as it does not state the word max for kerb weight)

The interior is deffo nicer than the BMW & i do spend alot of the time on the motorway so it could be good.

The fuel consumption bothers me as my current E90 running a tuning box returns 51 mpg constantly, I drive it hard as well.

I really cannot beleive that a Lexus gearbox can be so much of a mess up ! If the car is so slow in the first 2 gears& 6th cannot be pulled from 60 mph then why have they not changed the ratios to sort the problem out.

Do you know if any revisions are due to help drop the emmissions, or will a hybrid petrol be soon available?

I will go for a test drive, but from what i am reading about the fuel consumption & general drive train problems I will not get my hopes up.

There are alot of the new 3 series about , that is true but maybe its because it is just a great drive ! ( vastly under specced , overpriced)

thanks

The problem with spending a lot of time on a motorway in the Lexus, is you are forever changing up & down the gears because of the bad gearing. Also 42mpg is very optimistic!

Jonathon,

I am still in my first week with my IS220D after having an E90 - some things I have noticed:

(1) The Lexus is a hell of alot quieter than the BM

(2) The interior of the Lexus is much nicer (with a bucketload of buttons which I havent all figured out yet) - the E90 has pretty much the same interior as the E46 and is a bit bland.

(3) MPG - half this forum is dominated by the subject and with the price of diesel atm it is definitely something worth considering - I was getting 56mpg from the E90, in my first week I am currently getting 42mpg in the Lexus, at 700 miles per week it all adds up

(4) I just dont get the lower gears in the Lexus - when you get are in first or second in the E90 you will take off, in the Lexus its a very slow start, Im still getting the hang of the shift so I may grow to love it. Not likely though.

(5) The Lexus is much smoother and torquier once you get through the gears, great for motorways

(6) Downside on the BMW is that everyone and their dog currently have one

(7) Backseat space seems to be similar, boot capacity is bigger in the Lexus

In summary the Lexus is a much nicer looking car inside and out, if you spend your life on motorways the Lexus is best, urban driving could prove to be a frustration with the weak 1st and 2nd.

On a Lexus forum you will see praise for the Lexus only...The 320d is the arch enemy!!! I'm never loyal to a brand of car so I try and tell it like it is (doesn't make me many friends on here at times!!!)

I have driven several E90's. There is no doubt that you will be "wowed" by the Lexus. It is fantastic value for money. However, this all becomes a tad relative the longer you live with it...

The boot in the Lexus is actually smaller - 375 odd litres if I recall compared to the Beemers 460odd. It also has a narrower opening and wheel arches that do interfere a little more with the shape. It does have a "shelf" which is nice, but the BMW's spare wheel well will hold more (if you have no spare and have runflats). Whilst the rear space appears to be similar, the access into the Beemer is better a little. The slightly lower window line won't make kids feel travel sick. The Lexus seems to...

6th is useable at 70, but you hear a thrum, the mirror may vibrate to a level where you can't tell what car's behind you, and your economy will not be helped in many circumstances. The car is not designed to be driven at 70 in 6th, so people do it, but that's up to them. There is little overtaking response and as harrydavy says, you do find yourself changing gears at motorway speeds...this can become tiring so I no longer use 6th at all...

Road noise in the Lexus is higher (unless it has the Toyo tyres apparently - I haven't tested those), in the Beemer it is less unless you opt for 18" M Sports. The Lexus is quieter on billiard table smooth new black tarmac, but only marginally. The Beemer is more consistent and quiet enough.

The Beemer has a slightly more jittery slow speed ride and driving around town can be achy, the Lexus smoother when it's slower, but bouncy at times at speed. The steering in the Lex does not provide you with the "fly by the seat of your pants" experience - whereas the Beemer positively does...an handles bttr through corners (marginally).

The Lexus is faster once moving compared to a 163bhp 320d, but the newer 177bhp 320d is as quick - less torque than the lex, but much better gearing...there is so little in it that it matters not...The lex engine can feel strained and wheezy at times whn you push it - the BMW tends not to...

The final point is the economy - BMW 90% of time will win that battle. The new BMW 177bhp engine with ED is exceptional as a package...the gearing is smarter, you can have an Auto. The Lex on the other hand has every extra imagineable (especially with MM) and feels epensive.

There is only one person who will have to live with the decision and that is you - so I would vry strongly recommend (as ever) that you drive the 220d for at least one day if not longer before parting with your cash.

Ignore the gadgets - concentrate on the drive 'cos the steering, pedals and gears are what you will use all of the time....th gadgts are nice to hav dcorations (albeit expensive on the Beemer).

Jamboo made good points, just a few remarks...

I've driven an E90 320d 163hp and an E91 330xd and read dozens of test drive reports.

The boot sizes Jamboo mentioned are manufacturers' claims. In real life, there is no such difference. A Finnish car magazine measured both by fitting as many 10 litre boxes as possible in the boot. Result: Lexus 400 litres (40 boxes), BMW 420 (42). Lexus' boot is narrower between the wheel arches, but wider at the back of the car.

BMW has more space in the back seat, especially for legs and feet. The difference isn't big, but it's still there.

Noise level is similar when the tire size is the same. The situation is unchanged on rough tarmac, both according to my observations and the measurements of the forementioned Finnish magazine.

I would give the ride quality points to BMW. It's firm but still quite comfortable, whereas Lexus is a bit too bouncy.

Steering is a matter of personal preference. BMW is sharper but also quite nervous. Lexus is more laid-back. So BMW for that sporty feeling, Lexus for relaxing cruise.

I think the new 177hp 320d is even a bit faster than the 220d, but for sure it gives better mileage. The difference may not be too big when cruising smoothly on A-roads or similar, but in urban driving I wouldn't be surprised if the BMW were 20 % better.

There is a solution for the gearing problems of the 220d: the Sport version. The problem with that one is that the official fuel consumption test cycle doesn't like it at all. In real life, it's no less economical than the standard version, but good luck trying to get through to the officials with that fact!

I would still get the 220d over 320d, because it's great VFM and an absolute beauty compared to the 3-series Saloon. Had I no need for the back doors, I just might go for a 3-series Coupe...

i have got a test drive arranged for monday, will let you know how i get on.

just noticed the co2 figure on the 220 D Sport 195 g/km WTF ? :blink:

Surely it can't jump by that much compared to standard car.

I am still suprised that toyota have messed up the gearbox so much,they must have realised that the UK has a 70mph speed limit.

So why have six gears if sixth is unusable ?

i have got a test drive arranged for monday, will let you know how i get on.

just noticed the co2 figure on the 220 D Sport 195 g/km WTF ? :blink:

Surely it can't jump by that much compared to standard car.

I am still suprised that toyota have messed up the gearbox so much,they must have realised that the UK has a 70mph speed limit.

So why have six gears if sixth is unusable ?

That is the correct CO2 figure. It all comes down to the fact that the normal version was designed with the official test in mind, whereas the Sport version was most definitely not.

I suppose the sixth gear is meant for the German autobahns, which is a bit odd since I believe there are more 220d's sold in the UK than in Germany. Still, there must be some logic behind the decision, even if it ended up going wrong.

i think you have to judge the is on the usage that you require,there are no longer any vibration problems with the rear veiw mirror, a redesigned mirror has been available for some six months.there is also no longer a thrumm from low revs in sixth gear,again redesigned rear axle bush some nine months ago.i have two children neither of which have ever been travel sick due to the high waistlineof the car.you also have to consider what you you get for your money.the fact is the equivalant spec bmw is £5k+ above the is and thats a lot of diesel.my current tank average is 41.8 on the combined cycle.

think you have to judge the is on the usage that you require,there are no longer any vibration problems with the rear veiw mirror, a redesigned mirror has been available for some six months.there is also no longer a thrumm from low revs in sixth gear,again redesigned rear axle bush some nine months ago

I have just noticed that mirror thing on the way home today, on low revs in 5th I could barely look out the mirror. What is the best way of getting this sorted? Do I just ring the local Lexus people and tell them about it and they fix for nowt? Should I mention the fifth injector thing and the 'thrumm' in 6th? Is there any way of knowing if these may have been done at the 20k service?

I just wanted to add a comment based on personal experience.

My other cars are an E90 330 Coupe and R32 which have all the performance I could ever wish for. I've also owned a 330d and several VAG diesels.

When the BMW had to go in for some warranty work I was loaned a 320d for 3days. It wasn't until I had the Lexus demo for a morning, that my mind went back to driving the 320d. My immediate impressions were that apart from the BMW engine, the 220d was in every way a much better car to live with. I took the Lexus back to the dealers and ordered the 220Sport on the spot. Economy was not a big issue as far as I was concerned, more important was brand reliability and the satisfaction of the driving experience.

I had the car for about 6 week now and I'm loving it?

think you have to judge the is on the usage that you require,there are no longer any vibration problems with the rear veiw mirror, a redesigned mirror has been available for some six months.there is also no longer a thrumm from low revs in sixth gear,again redesigned rear axle bush some nine months ago

I have just noticed that mirror thing on the way home today, on low revs in 5th I could barely look out the mirror. What is the best way of getting this sorted? Do I just ring the local Lexus people and tell them about it and they fix for nowt? Should I mention the fifth injector thing and the 'thrumm' in 6th? Is there any way of knowing if these may have been done at the 20k service?

if your car is under warranty the dealer will do all of these things you just have to make them aware of the problems,the fifth injector is now a recall,but still ,make your dealer aware that you know the score.

OK, I got to test drive a IS220D SEL today, it was a nice comfy car with descent in gear shove. But when travelling at 70 mph the car was doing 1600 rpm in sixth gear & was dead as a door nail :crying:

Why oh why have they not sorted this out ? 5 th gear is not relaxed enough at 70 ish & 6th is diabolical, the economy was 27.7 mpg after the test drive which was mainly done on a dual carriage way at 70 mph.

This for me has ruined, what is a car that on paper ticks all the right boxes. The top gear performance at motoway speeds is more akin to a non turbo diesel Toyota CARINA 2.0 D.

The rear view mirror was shaking like mad as the engine thrumped along at 70, I did not find a problem with the lower gears that much except there seemed to be loads of turbo lag in first when setting off.

Lexus is also alot louder than the BMW.

Sorry but BMW has got lexus hammered on this one, this car should never have got signed off for the uk market with this current setup.

Spoke to the service manager whilst at the dealership, he sorts out IS220D problems. Biggest complaint ECONOMY.

I am gonna wait to see if these problems get resolved before commiting to order, if not i will be ordering another BMW or MERC

thanks

The problem with spending a lot of time on a motorway in the Lexus, is you are forever changing up & down the gears because of the bad gearing. Also 42mpg is very optimistic!

What a brilliant write up !!! Balanced and very informative.