Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Passenger Airbag Indicator In Centre Console

The two airbag indicators come on when turning the key but on starting the engine the passenger airbag light stays on.

It shows "Airbag ON". I can't remember whether this should always be lit up.

Yes it is always on. Switch it off and it says "Off" and the symbol changes to one with a line through it.

I think this little panel with these in and the clock lets it down a bit. It just seems a bit tacky to me.

The two airbag indicators come on when turning the key but on starting the engine the passenger airbag light stays on.

Hi.just make sure theres no books,bags left on the passenger seat when driving coz that can cause the switch or sensor under the seat to bring on the warning light on the dash, and yes ,the switch should stay in the ON position,and NO,the light should be OFF,when there no-one in the seat.When there is someone in the seat,light comes on for a second or two,then goes out.when the vehicle is doing it self checks, the airbag lights up in YELLOW,and if u have a problem, it lights up in RED.HOPE THIS HELPS U :unsure:

I think he's talking about the one in the centre console that stays on.

Warns you also if it is off so is a permanent indication to the passenger of the status.

I think he's talking about the one in the centre console that stays on.

Warns you also if it is off so is a permanent indication to the passenger of the status.

Cheers everyone...

I think you are looking at the child seat safety indicator. It is to warn you the passenger air bag system is active if you were to strap a child seat in. There is a on /off switch located on passenger front door pillar next to the door hinges. Hope this helps.

Yes it is always on. Switch it off and it says "Off" and the symbol changes to one with a line through it.

I think this little panel with these in and the clock lets it down a bit. It just seems a bit tacky to me.

I agree, one of the things that still annoys me about Jap cars, they always have status lights which shouldn't be there - ones that should only illuminate if they're in a state that requires attention......

That airbag light is a prime example, default state should be on, so no light required. If it's off, a light should say it's off. Another one is the parking sensor light on the SE-L models, shouldn't be visible unless the system is off..........

Sorry for the rant, but it's just one of those things I wish they didn't do!

• 2 weeks later...
No passenger in car this morning and the Airbag ON light is showing in orange in the centre console....

unless you find a nice piece of matt black stick back plastic and the light disapears forever ....... annoys the hell out of me so its now OFF as i can't see it.

That airbag light is a prime example, default state should be on, so no light required. If it's off, a light should say it's off. Another one is the parking sensor light on the SE-L models, shouldn't be visible unless the system is off..........

Sorry for the rant, but it's just one of those things I wish they didn't do!

Can't agree with that! If the light is off by default when the system is 'on' there is nothing to remind you that your baby is at risk of death in the event of an accident. The force behind the deployment of the bag is considerable - I speak from the experience of having one hit me in the chest, I was bruised for weeks.

I find the position of the clock a little annoying for right hand drive cars. It's partially obscured if I hold the steering wheel at certain positions.

Sure, it's a bit naff - but it does the job. I just wish it was a bit easier to read.

As for the airbag indicator, yes, it does look a bit 'public service vehicle', but I guess it's an important safety indicator.

Can't agree with that! If the light is off by default when the system is 'on' there is nothing to remind you that your baby is at risk of death in the event of an accident. The force behind the deployment of the bag is considerable - I speak from the experience of having one hit me in the chest, I was bruised for weeks.

That's actually exactly my point, you shouldn't need to be reminded of it, by default all airbags are on - and any driver should know that.

There should be a light to tell you if it's off though, as this is the "non-normal" setting for it..........anyone who has a baby in the passenger seat should know they need to switch it off. Totally agree how dangerous an airbag can be to a baby, but if anything the light being on all the time gives you more reason to automatically ignore it after a few months of driving a car.

Part of the reason of a "warning" light is to make sure it is warning you of something, a simple status light doesn't warn you of anything so in my view it is making the problem worse rather than better..........

There should be a light to tell you if it's off though, as this is the "non-normal" setting for it..........anyone who has a baby in the passenger seat should know they need to switch it off. Totally agree how dangerous an airbag can be to a baby, but if anything the light being on all the time gives you more reason to automatically ignore it after a few months of driving a car.

Part of the reason of a "warning" light is to make sure it is warning you of something, a simple status light doesn't warn you of anything so in my view it is making the problem worse rather than better..........

<devils_advocate>But if the bulb failed you'd think that the airbag was enabled if there was only a single indicator.</devils_advocate>

I think the current system is fine (particularly as we are dealing with an important safety system) - I just wish it was a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

I agree with Parthiban.

1. Lights should come on to indicate you of something OUTSIDE of the norm.

2. Familiarity breeds contempt. You get used to it and it means nothing.

I think anyone who is putting a baby in would physically check the airbag switch regardless of the light, just to make sure. I know I would. Other cars don't have the light feature.

I will be putting my Speed camera warning display in there anyway soon. I'll put an LED in to warn me it is off, but certainly nothing to warn me it is on.

• 1 month later...

I'm afraid this stupid bloody airbag light is a very specific requirement of EuroNCAP. You get 3 extra points for this and as everyone wants 5 star child protection they are starting to have to comply.

None of the car manufacturers think it is good.

http://www.euroncap.com/cache/file/e73d84b...Version-1.1.pdf

clause 6.1.2

I'm afraid this stupid bloody airbag light is a very specific requirement of EuroNCAP. You get 3 extra points for this and as everyone wants 5 star child protection they are starting to have to comply.

None of the car manufacturers think it is good.

http://www.euroncap.com/cache/file/e73d84b...Version-1.1.pdf

clause 6.1.2

• If the information to indicate that the airbag is enabled is provided by an

illuminated signal, the signal is only required to be illuminated for a period of

60 seconds after the ignition is switched on. The AIRBAG ON pictogram

must be the same as that used in the airbag warning label (6.1.1).

• Information to indicate that the airbag is disabled must be permanently

displayed, when the ignition is on.

If the airbag is enabled, in the IS the light stays always on, however the NCAP requirements state it only needs to stay on for 60 seconds after ignition is turned on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links