Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

New owner of a GS300mk1 sport here,

Had the car a week or so and love it apart from the effort it takes to drive the car in a straight line :unsure:

Seems i have to constantly fight the steering wheel as though the car is getting hit by gusts of wind, this gets worse the faster you go and doing 70 on the motorway is hard work, but bombing round a big roundabout or sweeping corner the car handles fine.

The are no unusual noises from the suspension going over speedbumps, no clunks or creaks,no steering wheel wobble, just seems to tramline all over the place.

Both front tyres are bearly legal and will be getting changed next week but are evenly worn.

Anyone got any ideas what might cause this?

Worn bushes or some kind of alignment issue?

Thanks.

Sounds like something could be wrong with the geometry, it may well be worn bushes that is affecting the geometry.

Got a local garage who can check out the car? Normally the car should be rock solid in a straight line, even at 3 digit speeds.

Shortly after getting mine I had a similar problem. The alignment had gone haywire and worn my front tyres to casing almost in a matter of 200 miles giving feeling of aquaplaning. New tyres and alignment sorted it .

Cheers for the help lads,

I best get the garage to do an alignment and check the bushes when i get the two front tyres on then, hope its just the alignment.

Ive just had a quick look at the tyres and theyre Goodyear eagle 245/40/18 and i think they may be Run Flats :( Which would probably make the problem worse and go some way to explain the rock hard ride.

Cheers

My GS450h has only covered 6000 miles BUT my Volvo estate 36000 miles with 18" tyres tramlines and if you accelerate hard it will pull you across the road and will follow the white lines.

Easy fixed remove 2mm tread pattern and fit new tyres problem gone.

My motorbike does the same with new tyres its wants to go round the corners on its own and steering is so sharp once rear tyre gets to 3mm or less it wants to follow the white line.

Do your homework before shelling out on tyres.My sons Audi A3 has new Bridgestone Potenzas fitted excellent tyre but in his case he is getting a murmerring from them does not sound good.Audi say a bad batch from Bridgestone but are not going to replace.I have just fitted a cheaper tyre KUMHO to my Volvo as i do not use it a lot and they are very good,nice pattern and directional.Instead of spending £140 a corner i paid £78 a corner plus fitting £6

Alan.G.

theyre Goodyear eagle 245/40/18 and i think they may be Run Flats :(

Are the pressures ok in them and one isn't running flat as it were?

Hi, i checked the pressures straight away, all tyres were 34psi, tried 30psi and problem was excactly the same :(

My GS450h has only covered 6000 miles BUT my Volvo estate 36000 miles with 18" tyres tramlines and if you accelerate hard it will pull you across the road and will follow the white lines.

Easy fixed remove 2mm tread pattern and fit new tyres problem gone.

My motorbike does the same with new tyres its wants to go round the corners on its own and steering is so sharp once rear tyre gets to 3mm or less it wants to follow the white line.

Do your homework before shelling out on tyres.My sons Audi A3 has new Bridgestone Potenzas fitted excellent tyre but in his case he is getting a murmerring from them does not sound good.Audi say a bad batch from Bridgestone but are not going to replace.I have just fitted a cheaper tyre KUMHO to my Volvo as i do not use it a lot and they are very good,nice pattern and directional.Instead of spending £140 a corner i paid £78 a corner plus fitting £6

Alan.G.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, i might swap the rears which are new with the fronts just to see if there is any improvement until i can afford two new tyres next week....if its just as bad then i guess its alignment and/or bushes.

Have you tried bouncing each corner of the car? Do they bounce and return the same as each other. If any of the shocks are knacked then this would give a similar sensation.

Sounds to me that it could be coz of your tires being barely legal...get them change a.s.a.p ( police wont take a good view ) and if the problem is still there get the geometry checked...maybe Tony @ WIM will be on here to tell you more. :)

hi arty,

first try all the simple stuff 1st. my tyres seemed ok but in fact they was not. i experienced serious steering wheel vibration on the motor way and the car kept straying to the left. when i bought the car, it did not do this so the only thing i remember is when my sister tried out the car and she scraped the front left wheel on the kerb ! this probably affected the balancing. anyway, i eventually changed the tyres (see my thread on advice on tyres), and now the car drives excellent. you can really feel the difference. wheels were balanced too. im thinking of getting it laser aligned, not sure if i need it. kwik fit can do them. if you need tyres, check out the following:

www.valuetyres.co.uk

www.blackcircle.com

www.mytyres.co.uk

don't get caught up in the brand names too much.

hope this helps

finest1 :luck:

Thanks for all the advice lads :)

Seems these cars are really sensitive to geometry/tyres/alignment for some reason. Ive had a few cars over the years with 18" wheels and fairly worn tyres and none have behaved like this.

Will get some new rubber on and alignment asap and post results.

Cheers

Keen to hear the outcome of this one, I have new tyres on the front, all wearing very well, and good tyres on the back. Car is very sensitive to tramlining and behaves appaulingly on rutted roads (read leaps in and out of lanes) Guessing its alignment, but hopefully not bushes etc at only 75000 miles!

We will see!

Thanks

Tony

Keen to hear the outcome of this one, I have new tyres on the front, all wearing very well, and good tyres on the back. Car is very sensitive to tramlining and behaves appaulingly on rutted roads (read leaps in and out of lanes) Guessing its alignment, but hopefully not bushes etc at only 75000 miles!

We will see!

Thanks

Tony

I assume you have the wider sport wheels/tyres. This can cause the tramlining effect as the rear tyres are about the same width as a lot of LGV tyres so they get "stuck" in the ruts. Does it do it when yopu are in the outside lane overtaking?

I have the 18" 8.5J wheels all round, all with 245/40r18's. Matched pairs on front and rear.

To be honest, its not just lorry ruts - these can upset a lot of cars, but other things like road curvature, smooth dips etc can get the ol girl feeling twitchy. Whilst I am still learning the car, I would expect a large car with a competent double wishbone setup, fair bit of weight and good low profile tyres to feel conderably more 'glued' than mine - hence the questions.

The car goes round corners well, is "entertaining" in the wet, as I would expect. Its just frustrating to be driving a nice relaxing comfy car and having to work hard to keep it in a straight line on a straight road......

Thanks for any thoughts folks

Tony

Hi,

Just an update on this.....got two new front tyres on this morning, just cheap ones came to £140 fitted for the pair.

The tramlining and twitchy feeling is totally gone :) Just been for a blast on some dual carrigeway and one particular rutted nsl road which used to be really hard work to drive at 60 and its like driving a different car. Chuffed to bits.

Thanks for all the help on this lads....much appreciated.