Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New To The Is200

Hey all.

Been searching all the usual places recently for a nice IS200 in my area. Finally found a lovely dark-gray model. Sport with 77,000 (eeeek) on the clock. Y plate with FSH and usuall Sport refinements. £4,995. Good price, considering the condition. I'm due a test-drive tomorrow, but unless something seriously goes wrong, I should be the new owner!

Driven two now, since deciding to buy one and I must say, apart from the performance (or lack of), I'm very happy with the car! I'm hoping that coming from a string of turbocharged hot-hatches to this 2.0 straight-six, I might be able to save a little ££ on fuel (and more points on the license).

So anyway, here I am :) Just saying hello and hoping to settle in nicely with my soon-to-be Lexus!

Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

Bit of a nightmare this morning. Garage called me to say they'd had the Lexus back from servicing and they'd found gearbox problems. Now I'm not sure what to do. It's only 11 miles from my house and 5 miles from my work, so I'm going to shoot over tonight and have a chat. I got the impression he wasn't happy about the work it'd need.... any money ya like he tries up the cost. Thing is, I've only paid the deposit so far... so I don't really have a leg to stand on.

I'll see what he says tonight. Either way... I'll be driving an IS200 asap. I'm set on these little beauties, now! The second car that made my shortlist was a gorgeous blue one. (Think Alan Partridge). It's lower miles than the gray one, but isn't a Sport - so I lose the little aesthetic touches :/

With regards to the MPG. I was averaging 24 in my Leon Cupra running 211BHP. So with that said, I should be seeing better returns in the IS. If not, there's something wrong with the bloody car!!!

With regards to the MPG. I was averaging 24 in my Leon Cupra running 211BHP. So with that said, I should be seeing better returns in the IS. If not, there's something wrong with the bloody car!!!

Welcome.

Errr, average fuel consumption don't seem to be MUCH better with the IS200 than your Cupra mate. It's not just about bhp, it's also about gearing, weight, drag and rolling resistance.

Btw, good price on the IS, trade price is 5,190 according to glass guide.

Welcome.

Errr, average fuel consumption don't seem to be MUCH better with the IS200 than your Cupra mate. It's not just about bhp, it's also about gearing, weight, drag and rolling resistance.

Well, that's a little disheartening :P

So anyway, the beautiful gunmetal one is a no-goer. Popped along at lunch and he's trying to tell me it'll be a further £500 and nothing off the list if I want to take it as he currently stands to make nothing on the sale and would prefer to not to sell until the gearbox is replaced. He was sketchy on the details which makes me wonder what he's up to. Rather not buy from him now, anyway! (Dodged a bullet).

So anyway.... went back to the original one I found.. the lush, blue SE on a private plate (Y originally). £4,495 at 77,000 miles. FSH and seems to be immaculate in terms of bodywork and interior condition. Heading down to see it sometime this week, ideally. Get the ball rolling for the swapping of money for keys!

lexus1ui9.jpglexus2oo2.jpg

Usual white/cream part-leather interior.

Opinions, guys?

Plate stays with the car.

I'll see what he says tonight. Either way... I'll be driving an IS200 asap. I'm set on these little beauties, now! The second car that made my shortlist was a gorgeous blue one. (Think Alan Partridge). It's lower miles than the gray one, but isn't a Sport - so I lose the little aesthetic touches :/

Whats wrong with blue ones? lol

Welcome though mate,

Whats wrong with blue ones? lol

Welcome though mate,

Nothing wrong with the blue ones :P Check my last post :D Hehe!

Royal saph Blue is a great colour ;) ;)

I was after a sport but settled for an blue SE in the end as i couldnt find one. I paid under £4k for mine (Xreg 2001, had over 90k on the clock, but was tidy as they come so i didnt mind so much).

Ive added a sport grill & later rear lights Plus id like to lower it and get a subtle spolier to bring it closer to sport spec. I also like to (if i can find one) stick a sport diff in it, but other than that im more than happy with the SE.

I religously get 24mpg out of mine, but i have a heavy right foot (coming from the hot hatch brigade too)

Good luck!

Thanks guys :)

Quick question... what is the top-end tuning potential of this engine in a N/A state?

Removing excess weight. Take out the rear seats or join a gym. Supercharger or turbo is the way to go if you want it to be more zippy!

Thanks guys :)

Quick question... what is the top-end tuning potential of this engine in a N/A state?

Removing excess weight. Take out the rear seats or join a gym. Supercharger or turbo is the way to go if you want it to be more zippy!

Hehe... I'm 6'5" and 13.5 stone! Last thing I need is to lose weight :P

But I mean, if the engine was kept naturally aspirated... never super or turbo charged. What'd be a absolute top figure with just ecu remaps/chips, exhaust and manifolds, race-cats, large injectors, race cams, induction kits and high-lift pulleys and forged pistons etc, etc... the works!

Welcome.

Well, that's a little disheartening :P

So anyway, the beautiful gunmetal one is a no-goer. Popped along at lunch and he's trying to tell me it'll be a further £500 and nothing off the list if I want to take it as he currently stands to make nothing on the sale and would prefer to not to sell until the gearbox is replaced. He was sketchy on the details which makes me wonder what he's up to. Rather not buy from him now, anyway! (Dodged a bullet).

So anyway.... went back to the original one I found.. the lush, blue SE on a private plate (Y originally). £4,495 at 77,000 miles. FSH and seems to be immaculate in terms of bodywork and interior condition. Heading down to see it sometime this week, ideally. Get the ball rolling for the swapping of money for keys!

lexus1ui9.jpglexus2oo2.jpg

Usual white/cream part-leather interior.

Opinions, guys?

Plate stays with the car.

Thats a well cool plate :winky: uv dropped on there

& cream i was put off by it but its no trouble at all & a hell of a lot easier 2 hoover than the black :blush:

go 4 it :)

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update... I now own the Lexus IS200 sitting on my drive :)

I've put 370 miles on the clock since picking it up with the girlfriend at 12:00 on Saturday! Having some good fun with it :)

Couple of niggles... Hoping someone will have a tip for me; my wiper jets don't seem to work - at all! I've not yet checked the washer fluid level, but I don't think that's the problem. (No warning lights on dash and no whirring noises from the pump). Is this a common fault with the IS200? I'm going to check fuses and connections tomorrow, but before I do I thought I'd ask...

Thanks all :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links