Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Im Trying to buy some ATF for the GS as I want to change the tranni fluid.

I know I need Toyota T-IV ATF, So I phone Toyota in Telford and they say we only have Dextron mate (Daaaa) , so I phone Lexus Stoke-on-trent they say just go to Halfords and get the normal ATF 220 and put that in :shutit: :shutit: are these people for real or what??

SO.. Does anyone know anyone who sells Toyota T-IV ATF ??? Ive tryed Google with no luck :unsure: even tryed eBay and yes loads in the US..

Thanks .

YES!!!! Toyota Telford can get it, Its called ....Power Steering Fluid.. :unsure: At £37 + VAT for 5 Ltrs and yes its the right stuff for my Tranni.

Thanks again.

Im Trying to buy some ATF for the GS as I want to change the tranni fluid.

I know I need Toyota T-IV ATF, So I phone Toyota in Telford and they say we only have Dextron mate (Daaaa) , so I phone Lexus Stoke-on-trent they say just go to Halfords and get the normal ATF 220 and put that in :shutit: :shutit: are these people for real or what??

SO.. Does anyone know anyone who sells Toyota T-IV ATF ??? Ive tryed Google with no luck :unsure: even tryed Ebay and yes loads in the US..

Thanks .

Hi, just maybe i can save u all money :winky: read on the back of the container,,ON THE BLACK PART will read SAE 5W-30 APL,SL;ILSAC GF;ACEA A1 FULLY SYNTHETIC for eng oil £22,from toyota £38.auto tran's fluid reads;ATF DXN 2,the same as the toy's fluid, but at half the price :tomato: DON'T PAY FOR THE STICKER

Hi, just maybe i can save u all money :winky: read on the back of the container,,ON THE BLACK PART will read SAE 5W-30 APL,SL;ILSAC GF;ACEA A1 FULLY SYNTHETIC for eng oil £22,from toyota £38.auto tran's fluid reads;ATF DXN 2,the same as the toy's fluid, but at half the price :tomato: DON'T PAY FOR THE STICKER

I'm confused mate, I have no clue what you are trying to say from that. Are you saying 5W-30 fully synthetic engine oil is in the gearbox, or T-IV ATF is Dextron II ATF?? Please explain.

I think its a riddle in 2 parts:

1) If you want engine oil its: SAE 5W-30 APL,SL;ILSAC GF;ACEA A1 FULLY SYNTHETIC

2) If you want trans fluid its: ATF DXN 2,the same as the toy's fluid

I'm confused mate, I have no clue what you are trying to say from that. Are you saying 5W-30 fully synthetic engine oil is in the gearbox, or T-IV ATF is Dextron II ATF?? Please explain.

Hi,No thats engine oil,i just used it as eg,The ATF is for the gear box.The point i'm tring to make is;find out what grade of oil your car uses,if it is eng or gear box,take that code, and buy it in PARTS SHOP,or direct from Castrol at half the price of a main dealer :P Cheers M8

I think its a riddle in 2 parts:

1) If you want engine oil its: SAE 5W-30 APL,SL;ILSAC GF;ACEA A1 FULLY SYNTHETIC

2) If you want trans fluid its: ATF DXN 2,the same as the toy's fluid

B) U ON THE MONEY

In my GS hand book it says I MUST use "Toyota T-IV" ONLY and I only need 2ltrs from drain to refill. so I dont need 5 ltrs.

I have read on the US forums that Dextron II and III is not the same as T-IV, my book says T-IV only in the Tranni and Dextron II in the power steering.

Maybe I should just buy 2ltrs of T-IV from the states.

Never use anything else but T-IV fluid..

It has been known for the trannies to pack up prematurely due to juddering and other abnormalities..

The electronic side of it is expecting T-IV inside.. different fluid has different properties, and the electronics can pick this up and try to compensate, giving juddering etc..

It doesn't say use T-IV Only for nothing..

John

We really have to be carefull to who is serviceing our cars, I have Identified two dealers "Toyota Telford", and "Lexus stoke-on-trent", who thinks its ok to put Dextron in a Lexus auto gearbox :shutit: :shutit:

Im sure there must be alot more out there..

We really have to be carefull to who is serviceing our cars, I have Identified two dealers "Toyota Telford", and "Lexus stoke-on-trent", who thinks its ok to put Dextron in a Lexus auto gearbox :shutit: :shutit:

Im sure there must be alot more out there..

Hi,this will come as a :crying: to u ,coz it is the same,no different grades,no different in it use,as gear box oil and power steering oil. :lol: IT IS ATF

So far from various sources, nothing seems to say that your gearbox is instant history if you use Dextron II. Says some judder and some don't. So I guess if you want to take a punt on Dextron II then that is an option, if it judders, change it for T-IV.

Terry, are you saying that the people who are feeling a difference in their gearbox when using Dextron II are imagining it? If not, then there must be a difference between the ATF's. Yes/No?

So far from various sources, nothing seems to say that your gearbox is instant history if you use Dextron II. Says some judder and some don't. So I guess if you want to take a punt on Dextron II then that is an option, if it judders, change it for T-IV.

Terry, are you saying that the people who are feeling a difference in their gearbox when using Dextron II are imagining it? If not, then there must be a difference between the ATF's. Yes/No?

Hi,i'm not saying that some people had or have't ,but ATF oil is made for your box,if it is auto.Oils are only recomended to car maker,and not made to use a specific brand.Most people who had judders already had a problem,a judder is caused by low oil pressure,and not the oil.Conterminated oil AND BLOCKED FILTERS is the biggest causes of slipping and judders,but if u only use ATF AND ATF only, then u be OK B) I've had a SUPRA from new,and for 11 years that i had it ,i only used ATF out of (hellfords) and had no problems,but saying that,don't mean others have't,BUT I KNOW IT IS B) the same.I also work on them every day,and i've been doing this for 23 years

Hi,i'm not saying that some people had or have't ,but ATF oil is made for your box,if it is auto.Oils are only recomended to car maker,and not made to use a specific brand.Most people who had judders already had a problem,a judder is caused by low oil pressure,and not the oil.Conterminated oil AND BLOCKED FILTERS is the biggest causes of slipping and judders,but if u only use ATF AND ATF only, then u be OK B) I've had a SUPRA from new,and for 11 years that i had it ,i only used ATF out of (hellfords) and had no problems,but saying that,don't mean others have't,BUT I KNOW IT IS B) the same.I also work on them every day,and i've been doing this for 23 years

OK, just to summarise, You appear to be saying that ATF is ATF regardless of being T-IV, Dextron II, Dextron III or any other ATF. And that you can use any ATF you like in any autobox?

OK, just to summarise, You appear to be saying that ATF is ATF regardless of being T-IV, Dextron II, Dextron III or any other ATF. And that you can use any ATF you like in any autobox?

In a nut shell,yes,different brand ,same use.But would say,use any of the brand,and not mix them B) some are fully synthetic and some are not

In a nut shell,yes,different brand ,same use.But would say,use any of the brand,and not mix them B) some are fully synthetic and some are not

Hi guys,just one more thing to add,this is what u should be paying for A T F,;(TQF auto fluid-1litre ATF £5.99;and 25litres £99.99;TQ dex2) ;(1litre ATF £8.99; 5 litres £29.95;20 litres £95.99);(TQ dex®3 1litre ATF £7.49 ;20litres £103.99) :lol: Don't get done :winky:

In my GS hand book it says I MUST use "Toyota T-IV" ONLY and I only need 2ltrs from drain to refill. so I dont need 5 ltrs.

I have read on the US forums that Dextron II and III is not the same as T-IV, my book says T-IV only in the Tranni and Dextron II in the power steering.

there is a school of thought that says you should flush the gearbox completely using ATF fluid as just emptying it doesnt actullay empty it..........guy who used to do my work always did that. expensive BUT the gearbox was more responsive and you know its 100% new ATF in there

there is a school of thought that says you should flush the gearbox completely using ATF fluid as just emptying it doesnt actullay empty it..........guy who used to do my work always did that. expensive BUT the gearbox was more responsive and you know its 100% new ATF in there

Too true, after reading up on it Im going to change all of it, Its going to cost but what the hell she is worth it.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the T-IV from toyota telford 10 ltrs and have now changed my trannie oil,

I did it through the cooler pipe and glad I did it, its so easy too do, the old oil dident look too bad on the dip stick a bit brown, but when it comes out of the pipe it is very black and dirty, :shutit:

I used all 10 ltrs before it came out clean, then took her for a drive, I thought my gear box couldent get any smoother but it has with this new oil, and she moves off better too Im well happy.

I could do with another 1ltr of T-IV for a small top up, does anyone know the part number of the 1 ltr cans ??

Im very glad I have done this, as she drives soooo nice now.

I could do with another 1ltr of T-IV for a small top up, does anyone know the part number of the 1 ltr cans ??

No idea mate, but my guess would be it should be on the same page of the parts system as the 5 ltr (if a smaller bottle exists that is). Best bet is give the dealer a call with the 5 ltr part number and see what they say.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links