Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My aircon is starting to smell... although I only suffer from the smell once I've turned the AC off!

Smells fine when I'm using it to keep me ice cool :)

But as soon as I turn it off, boy oh boy... windows down 'n all!

Any ideas anyone?

My aircon is starting to smell... although I only suffer from the smell once I've turned the AC off!

Any ideas anyone?

im having the same problem smells rank

Any ideas anyone?

im having the same problem smells rank

Quick fix: spray febreeze down the intake vents (under the wipers whilst the blower is on) - this will temporarily fix the problem. You can take the filter out and give it a clean too.

But permanent fix is to replace the filter (in glove compartment).

EDIT - just remembered another tip that was on here ages ago from someone in the trade - I never tried it myself but other did and said it worked.

Get an extension lead and some sellotape and a full kettle.

Put the kettle in the passenger footwell and then tape down the "boil" button - turn car on and put it on "recirculate" then leave it for 10 mins or so till the water has boiled away - the boiling steam will go through the system and kill all the bacteria that is creating the pong. makes sense.

The one steve is talking about works the same as the kettle, you put it in the footwell, activate it and then put aircon on recirc and shut the doors for 10mins. Used it on my old car and it worked brill...

Like the kettle idea though, you would have to make sure it dried out OK or the bacteria will be going mad in a warm wet atmosphere....

Pete

Thanks Hando,

I'll try the Fabreeze trick....

I did the kettle one last year, left it in for 15mins or so, boiled half the kettle, my kettle also died as it didnt like being tapped down for so long hehe.

I didn't like the idea of coating my interior with the stuff that released a whole can full so I just sprayed dettol multi-action cleaner into the air intake a few times. Comes in delicious apple or grapefruit aromas for under £3. :blink:

I had an ac pong so I did mine with the spray canister you let off in the car and it left no residue at all but before I did it I thought I would change the ac filter, Lexus wanted around £40.00 for it so being a "budget" Lexus owner I thought there was nothing to lose by trying to wash it.

I did so in warm soapy water ( water turned black!) then rinsed it and allow it to dry.

It didn't fall to pieces and is still in there now with no further problems.

See my listing on Fleabay for reconditioned Lexus AC filters :whistling: ( joking mods!)

I set off one of those odour fogger bomb cans in the car a few weeks back. Still smells nice in there. Bought off eBay (search for odour bomb, searching for "car bomb" doesn't give the same results unfortunately). I can recommend the cranberry one.

The Lidle one is like a bomb to, it releases the complete can into the car.

the detol anti bacterial one also works well, for best results take the filter out then run the ac on max heat for 10 mins while spreaying the detol into the intake for a minute or two, you also need to spray the filter.

also Halfords do a spray specifically to disinfect the air conditioning system, but i have never tried it.

I was so horrified by the price of the CORRECT filter that I took to folding loads of J cloth in the same config. and sticking it in place with silicone. It took about 20mins. It works well. I must try washing out the old one and regumming it with silicone.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All...

I get cans of a/c spray that kill all the bacteria on the evaporator for £8 from one supplier I use. The can comes with a long pipe that you push into the floor vent and activate. Close the doors with the a/c on full blast in recirculation and leave for 5-mins.....open all the doors to vent the cabin and switch off. The a/c system will smell good as new after all the bugs and mould on the evap are dead! Also a good tip is when you are under the car, clean out the condensate drain pipe found near the location of the air box, if this gets blocked or partially blocked the bugs love it in there!

Never seen a dog smoke before :lol:

I'm sure that there used to be beagles who smoked a lot, normally in science labs. More worrying is how they get into air conditioning equipment.

Rab

Spotted this on Fleabay but do not put your dog in the car or as the title states it will kill it! :whistling: Probably does humans too!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=024

Hi, in my garage we use an air conditioning cleaner aerosol manufactured by normfest which we purchase from euro car parts in manchester, works fantastic.

Euro parts in trafford park?? have to give them a visit. I spoke to a bloke who tested my a/c - he said the bacteria is a bit of a myth - but couldn't explain the smells......Thought he was full of crap, but to be honest he was a fridge man and said my a/c was working fine and went down to -8 degrees - the coldest he'd seen and didnt charge me a penny so he must be a good man

He then said the freezing air would kill most bugs anyway........ i know i'd die in -8 - just hope i dont get stuck in a jam on a hot day then hehehe