Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Lexus Uk Ripping You Off?

As I am relocating to the UK, I thought I'd do some research and comparisons between SA and UK.

Using today's exchange rate of 15.24 pounds to the rand,

A BMW 330i Steptronic in SA will cost R407,000-00 (converted 26,706). IN UK it costs 30,575 (14.49% variance)

A Audi A5 3.2 FSI Quattro will cost R467,500-00 (converted 30,675). In UK it costs 33,625 (9.61% variance)

A Merc C350 A will Cost R432,000-00 (converted 28,346). In UK it costs 33,385 (17.77% variance)

A Lexus IS250 SE A will cost R377,600-00 (converted 24,776). In UK it costs 29,637 (19.62% variance)

What's worse is that all the cars in SA come standard with a 5 year (lexus - 4 yr) maintenance plan and on the Lexus, the "multimedia packet" is standard and I haven't built this into the UK price.

If I was to trade my vehicle in here in SA, at max, I'd get about R288,000, that's a mere 18,897 pounds. What would I get if I sold my 2007 Lexus IS250 SE-L with multimedia pack in the UK?

Interesting......

As I am relocating to the UK, I thought I'd do some research and comparisons between SA and UK.

Using today's exchange rate of 15.24 pounds to the rand,

A BMW 330i Steptronic in SA will cost R407,000-00 (converted 26,706). IN UK it costs 30,575 (14.49% variance)

A Audi A5 3.2 FSI Quattro will cost R467,500-00 (converted 30,675). In UK it costs 33,625 (9.61% variance)

A Merc C350 A will Cost R432,000-00 (converted 28,346). In UK it costs 33,385 (17.77% variance)

A Lexus IS250 SE A will cost R377,600-00 (converted 24,776). In UK it costs 29,637 (19.62% variance)

What's worse is that all the cars in SA come standard with a 5 year (lexus - 4 yr) maintenance plan and on the Lexus, the "multimedia packet" is standard and I haven't built this into the UK price.

If I was to trade my vehicle in here in SA, at max, I'd get about R288,000, that's a mere 18,897 pounds. What would I get if I sold my 2007 Lexus IS250 SE-L with multimedia pack in the UK?

Interesting......

Why would you want to come to this country ?

Can't be crime / murder / robbery / violence / etc: that you want to get away from.

To be very blunt... but to the point..

Why the hell do you want to relocate here, with the current state of finances we have..

Petrol at £1.14 a litre... for example.

Houses that nobody can afford to buy..

Surely it must be better where you are? (not taking into account crime activity down there)

John

as ur in joburg i can see why u would want to get away maybe somewhere like little brak instead? for the price comparison i would use a more realistic rate of 11r to the £ the high 15R to £ is only because the brothers have started a bit of ethinic cleansing , i know it always happens but this time its on a larger scale

Have you taken VAT into account? You have to take 17.5% off the UK prices and compare to SA prices before any sales tax there.

We also pay VAT here. (14%).

The prices are as taken off the respective dealers websites. I think it's called OTP...

To answer why coming to the UK (in no particular order):

1) I have always been a true loyal Brit and have always wanted to come back to the UK

2) To escape the reverse apartheid as I have now reached the glass ceiling here.

3) Anywhere you go, there is crime, A crime in the UK makes headlines, a crime in SA might make the sports section if it's gruesome enough. To give an example, my house has the following security features: Laser beams, Electric Fencing, Pallisades, burglar bars on all windows, Trellidors on all the doors, alarm system coupled to a security company. All that and they'll still be able to get in.

4) The next President will send the country down the same path as Zimbabwe.

5) Being analytically minded, I have assessed to "cost of living". Sure, petrol is far more expensive, cars, houses etc but on an average, taking everything into account, it's only 1.4 times more expensive in the UK. Take for example, a house loan of 150,000 pounds at an interest of 7% compare that to a house loan here of 1,500,000 at 15%, You spend your life paying off interest as the rate is higher and the amount is higher.

WELCOME TO RIP OFF BRITAIN !!!

By the way - It wont be long before we all need the security measures you mention over here !! (Pathetic Government is doing nothing to curb crime over here and just sends the scumbags on nice holidays) - can't put them in jail because we don't have enough hotel rooms...... sorry I mean cells.

The Ed

WELCOME TO RIP OFF BRITAIN !!!

By the way - It wont be long before we all need the security measures you mention over here !! (Pathetic Government is doing nothing to curb crime over here and just sends the scumbags on nice holidays) - can't put them in jail because we don't have enough hotel rooms...... sorry I mean cells.

The Ed

What? Isn't there the death penalty in UK? Don't they chop off your hands when caught stealing? Oh wait, getting my country researching mixed up.... LOL

5) Being analytically minded, I have assessed to "cost of living". Sure, petrol is far more expensive, cars, houses etc but on an average, taking everything into account, it's only 1.4 times more expensive in the UK. Take for example, a house loan of 150,000 pounds at an interest of 7% compare that to a house loan here of 1,500,000 at 15%, You spend your life paying off interest as the rate is higher and the amount is higher.

You planning on living in a shed then :lol:

Better off looking at Oz or NZ mate, this place is going down faster than a tart's drawers.

You planning on living in a shed then :lol:

Better off looking at Oz or NZ mate, this place is going down faster than a tart's drawers.

I second that from MacRS200, I would recommend OZ, Canada or NZ since the better quality of life and crime rate is a lot less.. a work mate moved out to NZ 1 year back with his family and 5 kids, (yes 5 :excl: ) and never looked back.. Sold up the lot: House for 180k the furniture the sink and the cat too. got a massive mansion in New Zealand with a beach / sea front view and spare change too to kit it all out. he could not see the reason to stay on in RIP OFF Britain anymore.

This daft Gov is sinking it further down the swanny, leaving the mess to the next government to clean-up (which will be too late by then). :crybaby: :tsktsk:

The sickening thing is the people are not protesting anymore be it about the fuel duty (GO on Truckers Respect..) and the intended Road Tax increase, the cost of energy (which the gov, charge a tax on to) :tsktsk: The people have become mindless subordinates and keep taking it in the pocket each time the Gov turns on the motorist to raise some capital. Where is the Pride and passion gone from the people _ Vi-Va Revolution. :shutit: :offtopic: (Follow the French example) not that I am a frenchy.. :duh:

Sorry Rant over.. :whistling:

So in conclusion DO NOT relocate here it’s just not worth it…any more

I am seriously thinking of moving out..

Lived in Saudi Arabia for 3 years. Best time of my life !! If you can deal with some of the issues they have, the crime rate is , well its nil basically. Pretty drastic ways of dealing with misbehaviour etc etc. Wife never felt safer in her life, even though she had to walk behind me by 10 paces....

To answer why coming to the UK (in no particular order):

1) I have always been a true loyal Brit and have always wanted to come back to the UK

2) To escape the reverse apartheid as I have now reached the glass ceiling here.

3) Anywhere you go, there is crime, A crime in the UK makes headlines, a crime in SA might make the sports section if it's gruesome enough. To give an example, my house has the following security features: Laser beams, Electric Fencing, Pallisades, burglar bars on all windows, Trellidors on all the doors, alarm system coupled to a security company. All that and they'll still be able to get in.

4) The next President will send the country down the same path as Zimbabwe.

As a fellow Saffa I can fully understand why you wanna make the move. My wife and I came over three years back three years ago and have never looked back ever since. Yes the UK is expensive but life is in general much better for us. We left for similar reasons as to what you have mentioned. Back in 2000 the best car I could afford was a Golf GTI 4 which took up a large chunk of my salary. I have now bought a a 220d se-l with all the toys as well as a house in the past year and have a much better quality of life bar the weather aspect. We have a better value life as well as we have much more disposable income. We can do so much more with life now. I was hijacked twice in Joburg when I lived there and then moved to Cape Town which was much better. I dont have to look over my shoulder here and when I do go home on hols I feel really unsafe.

I to fear for SA's future and wish it all the best but the UK has looked after me.

Hear hear gti1....

We did look at the Aussie route but it meant more paperwork and more applications etc.

As I am UK citizen, only made it easier to persue the UK route...

Some of my family is in UK too (dad & lots of cousins) so the family "support" will also be beneficial in establishing a social life.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links