Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

:question:

Hi All.

I'm Posting in here to get a few veiws on the IS250 SE auto head lamps they are useless i have taken the car back to the dealer to have them set but they seem so low you just can't see in the dark country lanes the coreners just appear out of nowhere with on coming traffic high beam which is good you can't use with out a few waved fists and other graphic signals.

Do others who own this car have the same issues and is there a manual way of tweaking them up a bit.

This is the wifes car and believe me she needs all the help she can get when driving (scares the crap out of me !!!!) i dont have the same issues with my IS250 Sport MM the HID are just that bit brighter and a bit higher i thought she was just being silly so i took her car out last nite and i have to agree with her they are down right dangerous.

Any help would be appreciated

Martin

:question:

Hi All.

I'm Posting in here to get a few veiws on the IS250 SE auto head lamps they are useless i have taken the car back to the dealer to have them set but they seem so low you just can't see in the dark country lanes the coreners just appear out of nowhere with on coming traffic high beam which is good you can't use with out a few waved fists and other graphic signals.

Do others who own this car have the same issues and is there a manual way of tweaking them up a bit.

This is the wifes car and believe me she needs all the help she can get when driving (scares the crap out of me !!!!) i dont have the same issues with my IS250 Sport MM the HID are just that bit brighter and a bit higher i thought she was just being silly so i took her car out last nite and i have to agree with her they are down right dangerous.

Any help would be appreciated

Martin

This might sound silly but does the SE have self level headlights

The SE is the lightest car in the range

Try loading up the boot could be SE suspension setting that needs adjustment not the lights

Do comparision below : V

http://www.lexus.co.uk/range/is/specificat...p;firstcarcode=

no it does not have the self levelers they are only on the HID lamps even with the car 5 up they are still low and i really dont want to drive round with a couple of paving slabs in the boot it certainly does not look any different to the loan cars i have had and let me tell you i have had a few.

My own sport has spent 7 months in the garage in the last 2 years so im a bit loathed to take the wifes in i might not get it back at all!!

i have found the manual adjustment for the HID i was hoping that someone would know if it can be done on the standard lamps and if so how hard is it..

Thanks

Part of the reason is that the beam is flat, that is if you park against a wall or garage door with the lights on the beam is level all the way across, this is the design. On older cars you will notice that the left hand light rises above horizontal to light the kerb / near side hedges. Only easy thimg i sbrighter bulbs but this doesn't change the pattern.

I found the standard SE headlights good, certainly no worse than any other car I've driven. Without being insulting - have you had your eyes checked recently? The first thing to go is your night vision. I had a Cavalier and I kept on about how crap the headlights were, then I had my eyes checked and it turned out I needed glasses for long sight. Once I was fitted with contact lenses I found the headlights in my Cavalier were more than up to the job.

I found the standard SE headlights good, certainly no worse than any other car I've driven. Without being insulting - have you had your eyes checked recently? The first thing to go is your night vision. I had a Cavalier and I kept on about how crap the headlights were, then I had my eyes checked and it turned out I needed glasses for long sight. Once I was fitted with contact lenses I found the headlights in my Cavalier were more than up to the job.

Well now then thats a good question and yes my distance vision is good not so sure about the wifes tho any as to the earlier suggestion of ballast in the boot i followed a car tonite that gave me a fantastic idea.

the solution is simple the car in front had a sticker on the back (keep your distance!! mother in law in boot PROBLEM SOLVED I THINK !!!

in fact i would make for a few quieter journeys!

back to the serious stuff i just measured the cut off distance from the front of the car on level ground in the dark 44 feet im sure thats to low 44 feet even at 30MPH is no distance at all. that was with the brakes off and the car rocked to make sure the thing was level.

not good by the way this is my 8th lexus and i have never had an issue with lights before.

I've just changed from a 5-series BMW to an IS250 SE and to be honest haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the lights. The 5-series didn't have HIDs so it's a fairly straight comparison. The one thing I did have to do was to turn down the dashboard lights quite a bit as I found them really bright when you come from the subtle amber interior lights of a BMW.

Does adjusting the headlamp level switch (under dash on rh side) make any difference?

the manual level is at the highest setting the dealer recons they are fine i think they are useless the hids in my sport i measured them as well and they are cut off at 75 feet ??

Seems odd the adjusters wouldn't be similar to the ones on the cars with HIDs - are there no similar screws on the back of the headlights?

Try turning the odd screw and if it isn't tight, then that's most likely the one you're looking for :)

Seems odd the adjusters wouldn't be similar to the ones on the cars with HIDs - are there no similar screws on the back of the headlights?

Try turning the odd screw and if it isn't tight, then that's most likely the one you're looking for :)

Go for brighter globes and ask the dealer to adjust the hight setting, I have the self leveling version HID's but I am sure yours are adjustable. Its probably a five minute job for the dealer. On most cars the adjuster screw has a friction mechanism or spring on it.

I love bright lights as well, and I have good eyesight. When I drive at night the road must look like an airport runway.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links