Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Due to the ever increasing cost of fuel I have made some interesting comparisons that I'd like to share with you that compares the average cost of fuel per year over 12000 miles. To calculate I have used the following base data to calculate the difference.

IS250 avg MPG 39 (based on previous forum posting) at a price of £1.169 per litre would use 307.69 gallons a year at a cost of £1635.16

IS220d avg MPG 44 (based on my own car) at a price of £1.309 per litre would use 272.73 gallons per year at a cost of £1622.92

A difference of only £12.24

Think it is safe to say that I will be going for the petrol next time as the gap between the 250 and 220d only needs to increase by 1p a litre and it will become cheaper to run a petrol car than a diesel

Thanks

Mark

petrol is defo the way to go at the mo... Dont forget to add on the extra tax though, which is about £20 more for the petrol model.

But if Mr Darling and brown do get there way

How much will the Car tax be then on the petrol Version compared to the Diesel

just a Thought

But if Mr Darling and brown do get there way

How much will the Car tax be then on the petrol Version compared to the Diesel

just a Thought

The tax on the petrol auto is not in the £400 bracket, so will remain at the £200odd that it is now.......

Interesting stats there, but can the petrol really average 39mpg? Sounds a little optimistic to me, but if that is correct then it makes no sense to buy the diesel.........

Due to the ever increasing cost of fuel I have made some interesting comparisons that I'd like to share with you that compares the average cost of fuel per year over 12000 miles. To calculate I have used the following base data to calculate the difference.

IS250 avg MPG 39 (based on previous forum posting) at a price of £1.169 per litre would use 307.69 gallons a year at a cost of £1635.16

IS220d avg MPG 44 (based on my own car) at a price of £1.309 per litre would use 272.73 gallons per year at a cost of £1622.92

Think it is safe to say that I will be going for the petrol next time as the gap between the 250 and 220d only needs to increase by 1p a litre and it will become cheaper to run a petrol car than a diesel

Thanks

Mark

I think 39mpg is pushing it a bit. Yes it is possible in certain situations, but I bet that 55mpg with a 220d is also possible in the same situation.

But your point still stands. The financial incentive to go diesel isn't what it used to be.

Personally I dislike diesels, but was seriously considering one last autumn. In the end my heart won the battle and I opted for the 250. My head has now conceeded that my heart was indeed right.

i think most of the petrol owners avg at 30mpg.i worked out that it would cost me the thick end of £500 a year more to run a250 but of course its all relative to the amount of miles covered.my avg has recently improved to 42mpg as the wife is back at full time work.

Thanks

Mark

let's use statistics from the spritmonitor.de

IS250 9,32l/100km = £2091,85

IS20d 7,55/100km = £1897,53

difference of £194

IF the price of both models was same here, it is clear it is not worth to buy the diesel, but here is the 220d 4.000 euros cheaper. And you won't sell the petrol for more than the diesel.

Thanks

Mark

difference of £194

IF the price of both models was same here, it is clear it is not worth to buy the diesel, but here is the 220d 4.000 euros cheaper. And you won't sell the petrol for more than the diesel.

could it be worth taking these into consideration?

Petrol

Diesel

Thanks

Mark

difference of £194

could it be worth taking these into consideration?

Petrol

Diesel

Exactly what i was saying ref Brown & Darling and vehicle Tax

and even if they do ga back on it, they will only decrease by a small amount

Due to the Bull :tsktsk: T Green Tax. as they have to be seen as

Being Little ole GB who will Change the world (I dont think) :crying:

I've had my 250 for 10 days and I've covered 740 miles or so. The overall average is showing 34.7 MPG which isn't bad for a V6 in my opinion. It's fantastic when you realise I'm talking about a brand new car here. I am absolutely delighted with the car and I'm really pleased I swapped the 220.

44mpg in a 220d, that's optimistic if my experience with the 220d i have had today as a loan car is anything to go by. It's a 57 model with 3,000 miles and couldn't get more than 33 mpg over the 70 miles. My GS 300 averages around 35mpg and even up to 40, so petrol definately way to go (or at least a GS). PS Thought the IS250 i got the week before did better mileage than the diesel, but lacks power.

Doesn't really matter how good the MPG is on the IS220D, if you don't like the car. My wife and i had a Sport Diesel for a day and ended up with the petrol sport, that was before the tax went to £400, but its cheaper than renting Sky for a year. IMHO.

Doesn't really matter how good the MPG is on the IS220D, if you don't like the car. My wife and i had a Sport Diesel for a day and ended up with the petrol sport, that was before the tax went to £400, but its cheaper than renting Sky for a year. IMHO.
you just have to hope that the 400 stays that way which is unlikely.

you just have to hope that the 400 stays that way which is unlikely.

I suspect you're right, but anyone who can afford to buy a £30K car probably isn't going to worry about a few more hundred pounds on the tax disc.

There is no chance the petrol can average any where near 39MPG

I have the 250 Sport and it has averaged 25.6MPG 9800 miles and the majority of my driving was motorway.

You can get 33MPG on the motorway and you'd be lucky if you can get 20MPG+ city, my last tank fill shows average 19.2MPG and that is 50miles of city.

The OPs MPG estimation on the petrol is way off.

To add to insult my road tax was a whopping £400 this year for 12 months :(

I have the 250 Sport and it has averaged 25.6MPG 9800 miles and the majority of my driving was motorway.

You can get 33MPG on the motorway and you'd be lucky if you can get 20MPG+ city, my last tank fill shows average 19.2MPG and that is 50miles of city.

I think those figures are based on the auto - which is more economical than the manual (which is what I'm guessing you have based on your figures, please forgive me if I'm wrong)

Whenver I've had 250 auto loan cars in the past, I've averaged around 27-28mpg with mainly around town driving........while 39mpg might be achievable, I also think it's a little optimistic with 35-36mpg probably more likely on a longer run.

I think those figures are based on the auto - which is more economical than the manual (which is what I'm guessing you have based on your figures, please forgive me if I'm wrong)

Whenver I've had 250 auto loan cars in the past, I've averaged around 27-28mpg with mainly around town driving........while 39mpg might be achievable, I also think it's a little optimistic with 35-36mpg probably more likely on a longer run.

You are correct my figures are based on the manual. I must admit I am not a faint hearted driver either, I do like putting my foot down every now and again :whistling:

Yeah those figures are based on an auto which will average 29mpg in city driving. However 39-40mpg is easily achievable on a run, even while habiting the outside lane.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links