Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can Tailgate Be Stopped Halfway Up?

I have the RX300 SE-L with the automatic tailgate and I’d like to be able to stop it halfway up, so that I can open the trunk/boot when the car is parked in my garage. If I open it manually, the gas operated struts try and open it the rest of the way. Is there a way to hold the tailgate open halfway either with automatic opening or manual?

If not I’ll have to fix some padding to the inside of my garage door which would be above the tailgate with the garage door open - if I open it manually it could then just rest against the padding.

I think that you would have to change the struts for "weaker" ones and then you would have the problem of the tailgate not opening fully.

As you say if it is only for when it is in the garage then go with the padding idea.

You could try attaching a strong cord from the door strut fixing to the body strut fixing so as to restrict the amount the door opens, probably some wire strop with clench eyes each end would do the job, similar to that which is used as safety strop on stage and theatre lighting......I doubt it would need be very strong.....2mm wire would be enough I imagine.

Best regards David

ps....obviously one end could be disengaged when full opening is required!

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't really want to do the wire thing as this is a fairly infrequent need (returning from shopping trips etc.). I will probably attach some padding to the garage door thus freeing both hands to pick up the shopping bags....

could you not keep the garage door open until you've emptied the boot? then close them both doors at once?

I didn't explain that too well. I like to drive the car straight into the garage and then we have a door into the house from the garage. The RX fits into the garage, but I leave the garage door open to unload the boot (there is only a few inches of room once the garage door is shut). However, with the garage door open (and therefore above the car), the tailgate will hit the garage door when the tailgate is fully open. With a car (as opposed to an SUV) this wouldn't be an issue, because of the height difference. Hope that makes sense now....

Simon

could you not keep the garage door open until you've emptied the boot? then close them both doors at once?

I didn't explain that too well. I like to drive the car straight into the garage and then we have a door into the house from the garage. The RX fits into the garage, but I leave the garage door open to unload the boot (there is only a few inches of room once the garage door is shut). However, with the garage door open (and therefore above the car), the tailgate will hit the garage door when the tailgate is fully open. With a car (as opposed to an SUV) this wouldn't be an issue, because of the height difference. Hope that makes sense now....

Simon

Standard garages are not good for a SUV - The answer is to "DIG A PIT" so the car is lower - however don't go to deep or the doors won't open and you would have to clamber out the back door now it can open fully

Thats "LIFE"

Sorry

Simon

Standard garages are not good for a SUV - The answer is to "DIG A PIT" so the car is lower - however don't go to deep or the doors won't open and you would have to clamber out the back door now it can open fully

Thats "LIFE"

Sorry

Could you not reverse into the garage so that the boot is nearer the door into your house?

now i see what you mean. Hydraulic susspension? :lol:

im assuming you're drive doesnt really allow you to reverse the vehicle in. could you disconnect the electrics that make the tail gate open automatically? I know it would be taking away a feature of the car, but not when you compare it to what it may cost to have to get the tail gate re-painted.

or swap your garage doors for some side opening ones!

You could try changing your garage door from an up and over type to a roller.

This saves headroom above the car in the garage, you just need enough head above the door aperture to take the rolled up door when open.

Try http://www.countrywidegaragedoors.com/support.asp?product=1 for some tech specs and prices.

Bladgb

You could try changing your garage door from an up and over type to a roller.

This saves headroom above the car in the garage, you just need enough head above the door aperture to take the rolled up door when open.

Try http://www.countrywidegaragedoors.com/support.asp?product=1 for some tech specs and prices.

Bladgb

Interesting idea - I might well look at that!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links