Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help...

Radweld is likely to seize the waterpump causing further problems.

Why is it likely to do that? In all the years and cars I have had, I have never yet had radweld seize a water pump. In fact, the only problem I have ever encountered with it, is it sealing up the rad cap (the rubber seal) and stopping the expansion tank doing its thing. i.e. it couldn't suck the water back into the rad as it cooled. The only car I couldn't use it on was my old M reg Rover 827 as radweld cannot be used on the Rover/Honda 2.7 V6 unit for some reason.

Having said that, the leak sounds to bad in this case to be able to use radweld.

I second this. Never had any problems using Radweld. It's always a stop-gap solution, like Gun Gum on an exhaust. It never solves the problem - just makes the vehicle drivable or road-worthy (to get to the garage, your destination or home).

I've never heard of it damaging the water pump. Unsure why it would do. It's poured into the rad and solidifies as it goes to leave the hole. Halfords shift a massive amount of it (as people are always up for the cheaper option), and I know for a fact they'd take it off their shelves if even on person managed to prove pump-damage as a result of using it.

New rad is the best bet, surely?

Well I have read that Radweld doesn't work well with modern cooling systems (as on the IS200)- I have no first hand experience of this, hence my recommendation NOT to use radweld. Yes, you are right- radweld is a stop-gap solution designed to get you going/on your way.

I think in this situation a new radiator is needed, radweld is unlikely to fix the leak.

Well found the whole and it have been told it can be fixed with some kind of liquid metal? This would be a temporary solution, as a Radiator is needed. But i dont think i'll bother. I'll just wait and buy the Rad.

I dont see how it can have burst a whole thou. Looks almost like it's been hit, but front inside!

Getting my Vitara taxed and insured today, so will rest the Lex until payday next week!

Got a photo (it's not great) by slipping my phone behind the fan, but it did not auto focus correctly.

23062008396.jpg

This look OK ya think? ebay or this one even cheaper ebay Though says its only for 1999-2000 cars! Is their a difference? Also says for 16 valve! Anyone got a 16 valve IS? Hmm...

I bought my radiator from United Autoparts Distribution as well, can recomend them. My replacement radiator is also made by AVA Cooling Systems, seems like a quality replacement to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links