Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Re-sealing Headlights

Andy-R

to strip the headlight completely down isnt too hard. theres a few write ups and i think i done one too at some point. i just put mine in the oven and warmed the glue and pulled it apart. then used a black sealant to seal them back up.

to strip the headlight completely down isnt too hard. theres a few write ups and i think i done one too at some point. i just put mine in the oven and warmed the glue and pulled it apart. then used a black sealant to seal them back up.

is it really as simple as that sorted?

put them in the oven, NOT LENS DOWN!!

i used 110C for about 12 - 15 mins, seemed to work for me , u will need oven gloves as its hot to touch and also a screwdriver to lift up the locking tabs, u can then pull them apart - i think i started from the thinner end first as it was easier.

if its hard to pull apart put them back in the oven.

REMEMBER IF YOU MELT OR ***** UP REMOVING THE LENS THEN ITS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY - ALL IS TAKEN AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Ps - cant you just run a bead of selant all around the lens - then no need to take them apart???

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have those lights on mine.(well there still off the car after the mot - due to go back on soon)

they are not direct fit. theres a thread somewhere that i started. there for the is300. and you need to cut the wings.

you need to order an hid kit for the projector unit as the is200 doesnt have a ballast to run the hid's. its not a major job you just need to cut the 2 mounting holes on the wings to get them in!! good luck!!

you need to order an hid kit for the projector unit as the is200 doesnt have a ballast to run the hid's.

Thanks mate for your help. I do have HiD lights already fitted in my car so may not have to buy a new pair of Ballast, just want to change the Projectors. And that is what I am worrying about. I'd probably go to a Machanic because I am crap with Maintenance.

I'll keep you posted, regardless what happens.. :)

Thats what she looks like at the moment.

post-25438-1218670067.jpg

Just a little note. If you do it correctly, you should not need to use any sealant, the factory sealant in the lights should be sufficient to seal them back up!

Posted before, but i'll post again. Video guide for fitting angel eyes (includes opening and sealing lights).

CLICK ME. Quite a good guide.

Just noticed that my nearside headlight has some condensation on it, bit of an annoyance as the headlights have eyebrows on :(

How much Dan? as i only ever saw a little bit and only when it was quite cold but as soon as the lights were on it would disappear within 5 mins....it never bothered me that much really.

I'm a fussy person though Pete :), I have the catch 22 of If I want to take it apart and reseal it I'm going to need to remove the eyebrows, also If I end up cracking one then the chances of getting a JDM replacement headlight are slim to none as these are rarer than rocking horse excrement!

It seems usually in the mornings this occurs, it tends to cover the complete lower half of the light, this picture shows what I mean (if you look at the passengers headlight, at a quick glance it looks like it's just the reflection).

DSCF2637.jpg

As I promised, these are some of the photos I took before & after the modification. It took us almost an entire day to get them fixed. So much cutting and chopping of the frame and fingures too that I thought we'd never get there, but we did.

What do you guys make of this? The only problem I have is because they're for US cars therefore the right light is slightly to the right (since we've left headlight slightly to the left to light up the foot-path). Is there anything that can be done to adjust the angel?

post-25438-1218894958.jpg

post-25438-1218894973.jpg

post-25438-1218895099.jpg

post-25438-1218895159.jpg

US headlights should point directly ahead.

you will fail an MOT with these fitted

how come it took all day to "trim"everything, you only need to remove the bottom wing mounting hole, for the light(behind where the indicator is) and at worse a slight trim of the horizontal panel under the actual light body

Thats what I'd thought but the back of the lamps are longer than the ordinary ones. Therefore the frame had to be cut (behind the headlamps).

yup that the part that sometimes/sometimes not needs trimming, easiest way to do it is cut a slot either end, then bend it over, takes about 5 mins

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links