Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cloned Car

Damer

My sister sold her Range Rover recently. It had a cherished plate for which she paid a retention to reuse at a later date.

Driving on the M62 she spotted her old car being driven with her cherished plate still. :tsktsk:

So if anyone sees a Supercharged V8 Range Rover with the Plate: W7 MUD please let me know.

The police have been informed.

Thanks

I though i saw my plate once.....you sure it wasn't M7 WUD when it flashes by or from a distance it looks the same.

Im up that way this week i'll keep an eye out for it.

She followed the car for a while, 100% it was her old car with her old plate. They had blacked out the windows since though.

Only happened today so not sure she has informed DVLA yet but has told the Police.

So when she sold it, she had put new reg plates on with the new reg number?? Or the new owner drove away with the cherished plates on when they bought it? Maybe they don't know that the plate was not included.

Maybe they don't know that the plate was not included.

Then she shouldn't of sold it if she wanted the plates surely, my neighbiour sold a car with p.plates on a 4x4 and the new owner said hed pass them on...yeah right he had the cheeck to offer them to the neighbour for a "fair price" needless to say he was told where to stick the plates.

My sister sold her Range Rover recently. It had a cherished plate for which she paid a retention to reuse at a later date.

Driving on the M62 she spotted her old car being driven with her cherished plate still. :tsktsk:

So if anyone sees a Supercharged V8 Range Rover with the Plate: W7 MUD please let me know.

The police have been informed.

Thanks

It might not be her old car :D it might be that someone else has had the plate made for another car :o

Shall we have a sweepstake on the time taken before the speeding and parking tickets start to come through your letter box..........

...........................but they could just have seen the previous reg from the V5c and decided that they liked it and are trying it on....

Shall we have a sweepstake on the time taken before the speeding and parking tickets start to come through your letter box..........

...........................but they could just have seen the previous reg from the V5c and decided that they liked it and are trying it on....

I think the dealer seems to be at fault. It was clear that plates were held on retention, she has all docs to prove it. The dealer seems to have sold it with the cherished plates still on it instead of the original/new DVLA plates.

See thats exactly what happened to my neighbour, police said as the car was sold with plates on it becomes the new owners property.This was about 5yrs ago so unless the law has changed i doubt she will get them back, just hope whoever the new owner is dont make a fuss about it and agrees to having new reg put on.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Did you actually remove the plates from the car and put on the new number issued to you by dvla when you put your plates on retention.

When you remove a plate dvla issue you with a number to put back on the car. If you sold the car with the plates still on the vehicle then how does the dealer know its not the cars actual number.

If you sold the car with the plates still on even though the number is no longer registered to the car then unfortunatly you sold a dodgey car the dealer mearly sold in on again.

Its your job to remove or have the plates removed from the vehicle and have the new plates fitted.

Did you even tell the dealer the car was on cherished plates. As you part exchanged the car the dealer would have known it was coming in and may have sold it on again same day it came in. Good dealers have customers waiting for cars as i do.

Did you also know dvla charge every year for keeping a plate on retention. If you dont get it on another car, in 12 months you will have to pay retention fee again.

if the registration has been retained, regardless of whether the actual plastic plates are still on the car or now, surely the vehicle can't have insurance on it...?

• 1 month later...
if the registration has been retained, regardless of whether the actual plastic plates are still on the car or now, surely the vehicle can't have insurance on it...?

Depends how long it take the dvla to update the system. I am currently transfering a plate from one of my cars to my lexus. I curently have a log books saying the same plate is registered to 2 cars. I have this week been out on the road in both cars with the same plate on both cars. No one stopped me no one bothered me. Why couldnt someone else do the same thing. one of my neighbours bought a car that had wrong number plates on it and wrong chassis numbers to was only when she came to tax it things showed up she drove it for 6 months. ok so the car was stolen and made a clone of another vehicle, but no one noticed i even ordered parts for it using the reg and chassis number. Like i said it depends how quickly the various systems get updated

My current car and my previous car were both on "cherished plates" prior to my purchase of them. DVLA had issued new V5's when I purchased them, which had the original registration letters/numbers on.

I curently have a log books saying the same plate is registered to 2 cars. I have this week been out on the road in both cars with the same plate on both cars. No one stopped me no one bothered me. Why couldnt someone else do the same thing. one of my neighbours bought a car that had wrong number plates on it and wrong chassis numbers to was only when she came to tax it things showed up she drove it for 6 months. ok so the car was stolen and made a clone of another vehicle, but no one noticed i even ordered parts for it using the reg and chassis number. Like i said it depends how quickly the various systems get updated

Are you not supposed to return the V5 to DVLA when you are removing a "cherished registration" to enable a new V5 to be issued for the vehicle in question?

As for system update times, Your insurer is legally required to update any policy they issue onto the motor insurance database (ASKMID) within 7 days, although I accept that they don't always do so.

I curently have a log books saying the same plate is registered to 2 cars. I have this week been out on the road in both cars with the same plate on both cars. No one stopped me no one bothered me. Why couldnt someone else do the same thing. one of my neighbours bought a car that had wrong number plates on it and wrong chassis numbers to was only when she came to tax it things showed up she drove it for 6 months. ok so the car was stolen and made a clone of another vehicle, but no one noticed i even ordered parts for it using the reg and chassis number. Like i said it depends how quickly the various systems get updated

Are you not supposed to return the V5 to DVLA when you are removing a "cherished registration" to enable a new V5 to be issued for the vehicle in question?

As for system update times, Your insurer is legally required to update any policy they issue onto the motor insurance database (ASKMID) within 7 days, although I accept that they don't always do so.

I checked the askmid web site last night my cherished plate is currently on the lexus according to them. The original number thats now back on my coupe turbo doesnt show up as anything on any car. I also checked another cherished plate which i know is currently on retention and according to askmid is stll on the car it was taken of 6 weeks ago.

I checked the askmid web site last night my cherished plate is currently on the lexus according to them. The original number thats now back on my coupe turbo doesnt show up as anything on any car. I also checked another cherished plate which i know is currently on retention and according to askmid is stll on the car it was taken of 6 weeks ago.

If the ASKMID site is not up to date with your details then you should contact your insurer to ask why and demand that they act to ensure it is updated.

What I asked was how you had V5's (presumably that is what you are referring to as log books) for the same vehicles with 2 different registration details on. I had always thought that the V5 had to be returned to DVLA for a new V5 to be issued.

Depends how long it take the dvla to update the system. I am currently transfering a plate from one of my cars to my lexus. I curently have a log books saying the same plate is registered to 2 cars. I have this week been out on the road in both cars with the same plate on both cars.

Since you are aware that at least one of the cars you drove was displaying incorrect registration plates what was your reasoning behind doing so? Was that not a flagrant breach of the law?

Depends how long it take the dvla to update the system. I am currently transfering a plate from one of my cars to my lexus. I curently have a log books saying the same plate is registered to 2 cars. I have this week been out on the road in both cars with the same plate on both cars.

Since you are aware that at least one of the cars you drove was displaying incorrect registration plates what was your reasoning behind doing so? Was that not a flagrant breach of the law?

Finally someone has got to the crucks of the matter. The fact that dvla give you 14 days to change the plates over theres no reason why i shouldnt drive both cars on the same plate, for a fortnight. At what point do you change the plates?? the day you get the certificate to purchase the actual plastic plate or the day you get the log book back.i changed my plates 2 weeks ago and not had the log book back yet so what plate should i have on what car at this point in time???. The origianal post was about driving a car someone had just bought sill on the old plates. If it was within 2 weeks of the sale then nobody is breaking any law.

My first post on this thread still stands as correct. If the new owner of the car bought the car with the plates on rang the insurance company to insure it and the car was still registered with the plates they may well not know they are doing anything wrong. they may well actually think they own the plates. Would be nice to hear from the origianal poster to see whats happened in this case.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links