Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Quiet Tyre

Boo

Hi guys,

I drive a gs300se-l and the stock tyres (yoko advan A10.....) are bloody loud¬ does anyone know of a really good quiet and comfortable tyre?

I ahve only had these tyres on the gs but i think corners, body roll etc is alright, so i dont want to find out going to a low noise tyre will worsen the handling?

will this be possible?

Obviously i still want good traction in dry and wet and longevity etc but willing to pay for a decent all rounder with low noise being the priority.

please advise guys as i need to change them pretty soon.

Many thanks in advance

My experience of that type of tyre has only been on my BMW (my lexus is an RX...) and I would heartely endorse Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tyres.....fantastic tyre, and quiet with a good ride too....but you have to pay for it!

Bestr egards David

I just swapped from the OEM dunlops to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics and they are a huge amount quieter than what I had before - the difference is ridiculous, coupled with the fact they have so much more grip. I highly recommend them :)

thanks i was also looking at those assymetrics too, not that expensive either.

anyone else recommend any others? i want some options. but those assymetrics was on my list.

i am surpised that not much topics opened regarding this as the gs is known for its tyre roar, would ahve expected someone to have discussed this on the gs?

Yep I was surprised that the tyres were so reasonably priced (cost me £100 a corner) and are so good - have a search on google for the autocar tyre test (it's a video) and also the evo tyre test (mag article).

I wasn't sure when I bought them, but after getting them, everything in those reviews is 100% correct.

Btw, is it one of the new GS models? I remember the tyre noise being one of the factors in us going for a Merc a few years back, I'd be interested to see how the change in tyres might reduce the noise.........

Yep I was surprised that the tyres were so reasonably priced (cost me £100 a corner) and are so good - have a search on google for the autocar tyre test (it's a video) and also the evo tyre test (mag article).

I wasn't sure when I bought them, but after getting them, everything in those reviews is 100% correct.

Btw, is it one of the new GS models? I remember the tyre noise being one of the factors in us going for a Merc a few years back, I'd be interested to see how the change in tyres might reduce the noise.........

yeah i remember talking to u on a merc forum too, i spoke to u quite a bit regardingt he eclass 320cdi or 350 or the gs300 but in the end i got the gs 3 years ago now

the car is so quiet and it drives nicely, super smooth gearbox and all and still finding somehting new about the car as i go along, the eclass looks so ordinary now that i am so glad i got the gs. but the only thing is i want the ls hybrid now! hahah

I have Eagle F1s and they are quiet even on 20"s Not the cheapest tyre but "You get's what you pay for!"

they are directional tread right? i think i play it save and go with non as directional tend to be noisier? although the sp9000 were pretty good

yeah i remember talking to u on a merc forum too, i spoke to u quite a bit regardingt he eclass 320cdi or 350 or the gs300 but in the end i got the gs 3 years ago now

the car is so quiet and it drives nicely, super smooth gearbox and all and still finding somehting new about the car as i go along, the eclass looks so ordinary now that i am so glad i got the gs. but the only thing is i want the ls hybrid now! hahah

Oh yeah I remember you, glad you're happy with the GS - we ended giving up on them both and got a CLS, which has been excellent so far :)

they are directional tread right? i think i play it save and go with non as directional tend to be noisier? although the sp9000 were pretty good

Yep the asymmetrics are the replacement for the directional GSD3s, so prob better off going for the newer tyre. I was on SP Sport 9000s and the difference between the two is amazing, so if you're happy with those you'll be pleasantly surprised :winky:

Oh yeah I remember you, glad you're happy with the GS - we ended giving up on them both and got a CLS, which has been excellent so far :)

Yep the asymmetrics are the replacement for the directional GSD3s, so prob better off going for the newer tyre. I was on SP Sport 9000s and the difference between the two is amazing, so if you're happy with those you'll be pleasantly surprised :winky:

cls? good choice, i had a quick look into that but after my required options it came to 50k. plus i couldnt resist all teh gadgets that came with the gs, i got teh merc price list and added everything that the gs had and it came to about 9-10k i would ahve to spend extra on the merc to get he same gadgets plus some u couldnt get on the merc, so i went for the gs in the end. but i still love teh cls styling though especially with the amg kit on.

There are much quieter tyres than Eagle F1s as they are ultra performance tyres and the tread pattern isn't designed to be quite. If you want to give up a little grip (no worse than the stock tyres) then look at something like Yokohama AVS dBs - these are designed to be quite.

http://www2.yokohama-online.com/gb/tyre-pr...php?tyreID=1011

Stock tyres tend to be average at best in all categories; grip, wet performance, noise, wear etc. as they are selected mainly on cost.

It is also difficult to compare tyres as most tend to become noisy as they wear down so your new tyres always seem quieter.

There are much quieter tyres than Eagle F1s as they are ultra performance tyres and the tread pattern isn't designed to be quite. If you want to give up a little grip (no worse than the stock tyres) then look at something like Yokohama AVS dBs - these are designed to be quite.

Stock tyres tend to be average at best in all categories; grip, wet performance, noise, wear etc. as they are selected mainly on cost.

It is also difficult to compare tyres as most tend to become noisy as they wear down so your new tyres always seem quieter.

yeah i saw these but i couldnt find them on mytyres or any other cheapish tyre supplier, have u ahd experience of these first hand? and u know where i can get these cheap? thanks

Yep, Colin's right, while the Asymmetrics are much quieter than the SP Sport 9000s I used to have on, these are all high performance tyres, so if noise is more important than grip, then you might be better off with a more comfort orientated tyre. However, after experiencing the extra grip from these goodyears, I don't think I'd want any drop in grip as the difference in the wet could mean the difference between crashing and not crashing (as I've actually managed to test since I got them!)

cls? good choice, i had a quick look into that but after my required options it came to 50k. plus i couldnt resist all teh gadgets that came with the gs, i got teh merc price list and added everything that the gs had and it came to about 9-10k i would ahve to spend extra on the merc to get he same gadgets plus some u couldnt get on the merc, so i went for the gs in the end. but i still love teh cls styling though especially with the amg kit on.

The CLS has been great, yep a lot more expensive - ours came in at £55k which was almost £10k more than the GS430 we were thinking of getting, plus it still doesn't have all the spec of the GS! It wins hands down on looks, but there are certain bits where the finish doesn't seem quite as high as it would be on a Lexus..........

yeah i saw these but i couldnt find them on mytyres or any other cheapish tyre supplier, have u ahd experience of these first hand? and u know where i can get these cheap? thanks

One member here put them on a series II GS and was pleased with them. I do know they are expensive and not many places stock them. Other manufacturers also do comfort tyres if the Yokos are too expensive.

One member here put them on a series II GS and was pleased with them. I do know they are expensive and not many places stock them. Other manufacturers also do comfort tyres if the Yokos are too expensive.

right i really want these yoko db ones now but i cant find anywhere that has them and if they do they are not in 245/40/18 which i want to keep that way.

any ideas guys?

they are available in the size you require. Most places should be able to get them, may just take a few days to come in.

You could try phoning Yoko and ask for a list of dealers or see if they will sell direct. Contact details are on their web site

http://www2.yokohama-online.com/gb/contact.php?page=contact

I jsut had a call around and the best price is coming in at £200 a corner which is a little more than i wanted to pay, i was hoping for somewhere around 150 give or take. i cant seem o find a cheap online place that stocks them so ended up calling local tyre places.

also some research on net showed that these tyeres are initially quiet but fter 12k or so, the noise comes back, not sure what people meant but i am thinking coz it is initiially so quiet that any extra noise that comes in at 12k they think it is loud but still quiet cmpared to other tyres?