Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Mileage Rx300 Series 2 Reliability?

Hi, I'm looking at getting a Series 2 RX300 SE-L. I'm after one at the cheaper end of the market (and therefore no doubt high mileage).

Does anyone on here own a high mileage one and do you have any feedback on running it? Do things go wrong - the engine/suspension/gearbox? Or, are they very reliable even at high mileage - some cars I would happily run up to 200,000 miles (My alfa isn't one of them, my Elise is!)?

Your comments/feedback is appreciated...

My Mk1 has just hit a 100k Never failed an MOT. Never had any problems. Has just had services when they were due. Cam belt when that was due.

Trouble free motoring just like the LS400 I had. So fingers crossed it stays that way, at least until she goes either late this year or early next year. Over 4 years now so due for a change.

The Mk 2 SE-L I have just purchased has 78k on the clock.

Got it for such a reasonable price I couldn't say no. It's an approved used Lexus from a main dealer so comes with the full warranty for 1 year.

Needless to say it's got a full (Lexus main dealer) history.

I won't be doing that many miles in it but as has been said before, if you keep up the servicing it should cause you no problems. I have also gone for the service plan with the dealer so I've fixed the price of the next 3 services.

Cool, I've searched the US forum and all the problems seem to be with series 1 cars, the series 2 seem pretty solid. I think I'll go for it, now to find one in black (the only colour the Mrs wants).

Anyone else reading this please keep the feedback coming as it will be useful for me and others.

Ran my July 05 SEL to 97,000 till last feb - never a problem

Did put a offer going cheap on the site - but no one replied

Lease co only wanted 12k -

It was the DOGS

But can't complain with the IS 250-SEL

Cool, I've searched the US forum and all the problems seem to be with series 1 cars, the series 2 seem pretty solid. I think I'll go for it, now to find one in black (the only colour the Mrs wants).

Anyone else reading this please keep the feedback coming as it will be useful for me and others.

the series I weakness is the gearbox. The series II has a different one so should be reliable. Engines are proven, used in the RX and ES also in the Toyota Camry.

Mine at 93K and same as others never failed MOT full service every time when due, Lexus will allow you to take extended warranty up to 140K or seven years old so they must also think they are solid, mine still drives like the day i bought it.

Hi, I'm looking at getting a Series 2 RX300 SE-L. I'm after one at the cheaper end of the market (and therefore no doubt high mileage).

Does anyone on here own a high mileage one and do you have any feedback on running it? Do things go wrong - the engine/suspension/gearbox? Or, are they very reliable even at high mileage - some cars I would happily run up to 200,000 miles (My alfa isn't one of them, my Elise is!)?

Your comments/feedback is appreciated...

Hi, I have the great pleasure of owning a 2000 model rx 300se mileage is just comming upto 180,000 one previous owner before myself. What a great vehicle, a very well cared for example with full lexus dealer history. Appart from regular service work, the only additions to service history are timming belt change, O2 sensors renewed and air mass sensor fitted. I know i will be keeping hold of my rx for years to come. Don't be put off by higher miles so long as the history is all there, good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

mine will be 3 years old next March, I always change every time the warranty expires (3 yrs), it only has 11k on it and I expect it to have no more than another 3k by next March.

I know I'll get hammered by the Lexus crew when it's time to change. I may well take out an extra warranty and keep it, anyone know how much it is to extend it and does the extension cover the same items as the original?

thanks

Steve

mine will be 3 years old next March, I always change every time the warranty expires (3 yrs), it only has 11k on it and I expect it to have no more than another 3k by next March.

I know I'll get hammered by the Lexus crew when it's time to change. I may well take out an extra warranty and keep it, anyone know how much it is to extend it and does the extension cover the same items as the original?

thanks

Steve

The cost will vary but I think Lexus will be the most expensive - I would try Warranty Direct and negotiate down from their first quote. I got 12 months interest free installments and £50 off just by ringing then after taking an online quote.