Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Discs

Hallex

Hi,

has anyone else had to get new disks fitted to front and rear after 40,000 miles??

Never before have I had to change the disks at the same time as the first pad change. I kicked up at the showroom and they agreed to put the front down to warrenty and I had to pay for the rears.

Anyone had same problem.

i would ask to see the discs - it has been known for some dealers to say the discs/pads are worn because although it is a quick job they charge a lot for labour so make a tidy profit........

all discs are covered under warranty,did they want you to pay for the fronts initially ?i would be asking for the rear discs to be refunded.i am still on original discs and pads at 39k.

I'm on original disks and pads at 42k but I guess it depends a bit on your usual journeys and driving style. I don't brake ever. Well ok not often. 85 miles per day commuting with about 95% sitting on a quiet motorway at 70 mph.

I'm on original disks and pads at 42k but I guess it depends a bit on your usual journeys and driving style. I don't brake ever. Well ok not often. 85 miles per day commuting with about 95% sitting on a quiet motorway at 70 mph.

They're having you on aren't they !!!!

New discs at the same time as first set of pads, Robs right bud, they're bending you over royally !!!

Did they give you a reason why they needed replacing?

Have they gone below minimum thickness?

Are they scored?

Are they cracked beyond repair?

Or are they desperate for as much profit as possible out of you?

They tried it on with me when I first came over (I used to live in the US) on my first UK Lexus - luckily I had one in the US and went through 2-3 sets of pads for every discs so I know they can. The guy was genuinely telling me I needed new discs and I couldn't believe it. I asked him if discs in the UK were different from the US ones - he couldn't answer lol

If this is your first set of pads, then skimming the discs will solve most problems - there is not many problems which warrant new discs at 42k!!

Check out www.skimmydiscs.co.uk if you're interested. Incidentally skimming discs when getting new pads fitted will negate the bedding period and give you 100% braking performance as soon as you leave the workshop rather than having dodgy brakes for 500 odd miles.

You shouldn't need new discs and I doubt you need a skim either !!!

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Wow - that all sounds so familiar... IS250SE 41000 Miles full service history then at 40K service new front Discs and Pads - I said I'd never heard of it before and that usually I'd expect 2-3 changes of pads before discs wore out - He said 40K was good - some are changed at 20K!!! and that I must be a light breaker... I have kept discs and pads for evidence if needed and am about to contact Lexus customer relations to see what they say. - I'll let you know..

• 3 weeks later...
Wow - that all sounds so familiar... IS250SE 41000 Miles full service history then at 40K service new front Discs and Pads - I said I'd never heard of it before and that usually I'd expect 2-3 changes of pads before discs wore out - He said 40K was good - some are changed at 20K!!! and that I must be a light breaker... I have kept discs and pads for evidence if needed and am about to contact Lexus customer relations to see what they say. - I'll let you know..

My Lexus had 30k service yesterday,had new front and rear discs and pads changed(due to lipping and on front and corrosion on rear) ,2 front wheels (due to corrosion) and a new wing mirror (due to a funny stain on mirror)

ALL UNDER WARRANTY!!!! :hehe:

I don't know why some dealerships do these jobs under warranty and some are reluctant to? :blink:

Where is the consistency !

Sorry guys but the second generation IS has high friction pads to compensate for the relatively small disk diameter to accommodate fitting 16" & 17" wheels. As a consequence the pad material is fairly abrasive and disks have to be also treated as consumables. I changed mine at 20K, not because of excess wear (although I noticed there was quite a lip on the disks), but I was fed up of excess dust and low speed 'grab' which is also an attribute of the OEM pads. My 350 disks and low dust ceramic pads are a massive improvement.

On the OEM pads I would have though 40K for the disks was pretty good.

I also have a brand new boxed set of 250/220D disks for sale if anyone would care to pm an offer.

Sorry guys but the second generation IS has high friction pads to compensate for the relatively small disk diameter to accommodate fitting 16" & 17" wheels. As a consequence the pad material is fairly abrasive and disks have to be also treated as consumables. I changed mine at 20K, not because of excess wear (although I noticed there was quite a lip on the disks), but I was fed up of excess dust and low speed 'grab' which is also an attribute of the OEM pads. My 350 disks and low dust ceramic pads are a massive improvement.

On the OEM pads I would have though 40K for the disks was pretty good.

I also have a brand new boxed set of 250/220D disks for sale if anyone would care to pm an offer.

i'll give you £25 for them delivered.

• 2 months later...

Its not just Lexus - I've got a Megane with 44 k on the clock. Local Renault Stealership wants £ 300 x 2 for front and back. Tolerances quoted are as f/ rear - manufactured 24 mm/8 mm - replacement levels 21.6 mm and 6.5 mm.

Front and rear pads are 50 % worn only. Trip to work is round trip 40 miles - half is crawling on M 6.

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

I`m having the same problem with Lexus at the moment..

Took the car in today with a clutch type problem and a slight burning smell at the rear.

Lexus have called back and told me that the caliper has seized completely, although it was working earlier, and

that because of this the brake pads have uneven wear in them, so that will be done under warranty.

The rear discs however are corroded and they will not cover those and to add salt to the wound the front discs

have a lip around the top and they need changing too.. but not under warranty.

The car has done 26000 miles and I personally think that sort of wear is not acceptable.

My last car was a BMW and I sold of that on 67000, had it from new and the discs were fine!!

Took the car in today with a clutch type problem and a slight burning smell at the rear.

Lexus have called back and told me that the caliper has seized completely, although it was working earlier, and

that because of this the brake pads have uneven wear in them, so that will be done under warranty.

The rear discs however are corroded and they will not cover those and to add salt to the wound the front discs

The car has done 26000 miles and I personally think that sort of wear is not acceptable.

My last car was a BMW and I sold of that on 67000, had it from new and the discs were fine!!

Hi Join the club - have had 2 sets of front disc and pads fitted with just over 38k on the clock - had a big moan to lexus customer care on the first set and after a long rant had a refund for the cost of the front disc - the rears were changed under a recall and that was lucky as they told me that they would need changing after the last service .I have given up on the quality of the disc and pads that lexus use and they must know that they are undersize for a heavy 2500 cc auto ,like you I have a BMW 320d M sport auto and the on board comp tells me that after some 37k from new all I have had done is 2 oil changes and a brake fluid change - the front pads have another 13k before changing and rear 9k .and 4 new tyres

last service on the lexus cost me £2200 included 4 new tyres -front worn on inner and Lexus launch the IS in 2005 stating cost of ownership was down on the IS 200.

blah blah

cheers

swager

Hi Join the club - have had 2 sets of front disc and pads fitted with just over 38k on the clock - had a big moan to lexus customer care on the first set and after a long rant had a refund for the cost of the front disc - the rears were changed under a recall and that was lucky as they told me that they would need changing after the last service .I have given up on the quality of the disc and pads that lexus use and they must know that they are undersize for a heavy 2500 cc auto ,like you I have a BMW 320d M sport auto and the on board comp tells me that after some 37k from new all I have had done is 2 oil changes and a brake fluid change - the front pads have another 13k before changing and rear 9k .and 4 new tyres

last service on the lexus cost me £2200 included 4 new tyres -front worn on inner and Lexus launch the IS in 2005 stating cost of ownership was down on the IS 200.

blah blah

cheers

swager

It`s not good, I would have thought that at the moment with all the adverse publicity that Toyota are getting that they would bend over backwards to help!!

I meant to also say that the rear tyre on the side of the caliper that has seized is down to 3mm, according to the dealer, and the other side is at 6.... you guessed it the tyres were changed at the same time!! But the dealer stressed too me that the tyres were under inflated saying my fronts were at 32 and the rears were at 34 psi. The fronts were changed 2 weeks ago at Kwik Fit so presumably they would have been fitted correctly.... or is it Lexus`s way of trying to riggle out of the problem??

• 2 weeks later...
It`s not good, I would have thought that at the moment with all the adverse publicity that Toyota are getting that they would bend over backwards to help!!

I meant to also say that the rear tyre on the side of the caliper that has seized is down to 3mm, according to the dealer, and the other side is at 6.... you guessed it the tyres were changed at the same time!! But the dealer stressed too me that the tyres were under inflated saying my fronts were at 32 and the rears were at 34 psi. The fronts were changed 2 weeks ago at Kwik Fit so presumably they would have been fitted correctly.... or is it Lexus`s way of trying to riggle out of the problem??

The correct figures are 35psi front and 38psi rear (if your wheels are 17" that is) for normal use.

Re: the discs though. I'm having the same issue. Just had 40K service and was told that the front discs were lipped and need replacing. The pads are 70% worn. The woman I spoke to at Lexus Wolves told me that 40K was good for front disc life. Ho hum. They want £360 or so to replace the discs and pads. :shutit:

i would tell them to stick it.... so waht if the disc has a lip - whats the thickness of the disc, thats what counts!

I remember 1 member on here had a safety report after his sercive and it said the pads were 70% worn, strange thing is he had replaced them himself less than 6 months beforehand! when challenged the service manager claimed it must have been a mistake and they were not worn at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Grrrr...:tsktsk:

Put my IS250 in for its 40k today at Reading.

Got a phone call at lunchtime to say my front disks are close to limit and should be replaced within 2k. Cost is £430 including pads!

Is this a joke - its a 2007 model and I don't brake hard. Surely I should be getting way more than 40k.

Are there any decent non-Lexus disks anyones recommends should I fail to get these replaced under warranty?

Chris

I had 30k service yesterday and first MOT and was also told front discs slightly worn and front brake pads worn low.

can you get discs replaced under warranty?

yes tracy,mine were done under warranty at around 50k but you will have to pay for the cost of the pads.i would give parts a call first to find out the cost of the pads so that you know what you are likely to be paying.

I had 30k service yesterday and first MOT and was also told front discs slightly worn and front brake pads worn low.

yes tracy,mine were done under warranty at around 50k but you will have to pay for the cost of the pads.i would give parts a call first to find out the cost of the pads so that you know what you are likely to be paying.

thank you dgman, i will make a call

• 1 month later...

thank you dgman, i will make a call

Snap! Today 30k service and advised that IS 250 requires need new front discs and pads; never before have I changed discs at 30k so said I'd think about it - asking how much life left in them I was advised 1k. Quoted £330 fitted. Strange no mention of warranty as they are usually really good - changed alloys twice already - JLL wheels are rubbish.

After reading these posts I'm going to give them a call - it seems that this is another common issue.

I don't trust main dealers! Will whip the wheels off at the weekend and see for myself before jumping in and wasting hard earned cash; problem is walk in wearing a suit in the morning and they think you haven't got a clue - wrong - just don't have the time I once did to get my hands dirty.

If they won't change under warranty I was going to opt for Pagid or EBC discs rather than Lexus parts - anyone have any experience of these?

Cheers

Lee

Hi All

Well 50K service today and surprise pads 70% worn and new dics required for cost of £390.00 !!! Tried to get them to budge a bit on cost/Parts but not interested. Payed over £1000 to extend my warrenty to cover things like this - waste of money then? Is this a standrard Lexus little earner? Got qoute from local independent for £270, so getting them to give it the once over to get their opinion as again they think Lexus my be pulling one as they won't see the car for another 12mnths. Will post my report next week. Lexus will be losing some friends soon. :angry: