Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Cranking/startup Noise

Has anyone experienced the intermittent engine cranking/startup noise? it happens every now and then and heres how it sounds: http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j131/al5...nt=MOV01145.flv

it seems to be a very common problem specially with members of clublexus, there is a huge thread with over 22 pages talking about this issue. and it seems that it has something to do with the VVTI controller and the oil pressure.

any comments would be great

After reading many threads on clublexus. i have found the PDF TSIB for this issue its located here: http://faqlexus.com/attachments/53/EG017-0...d%20Startup.pdf

can anyone please tell me if this TSIB would also be valid for the UK and can I provide the dealership with this print-out?

After reading many threads on clublexus. i have found the PDF TSIB for this issue its located here: http://faqlexus.com/attachments/53/EG017-0...d%20Startup.pdf

can anyone please tell me if this TSIB would also be valid for the UK and can I provide the dealership with this print-out?

The rattling issue on cold start up is one of the TSIB's that has made it across the pond. I believe a couple of members on here have had it done....here you go http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...le+cold+startup

Take a copy of the TSIB to your Dealership....it isn't a recall situation as for some reason it only applies to some and not others. Mine hasn't suffered from it...not yet anyway.

I have the same, does the fact that this TSIB from an american website matter? can i still present this to the dealer?

You have a genuine complaint regardless, but the TSIB is proof that it's a recurring problem that Lexus have recognised and have a fix for. No way can they knock it back.

I have the same, does the fact that this TSIB from an american website matter? can i still present this to the dealer?

You have a genuine complaint regardless, but the TSIB is proof that it's a recurring problem that Lexus have recognised and have a fix for. No way can they knock it back.

problem is most of the time they want to replicate the problem and as it is an intermittent problem its quite difficult. apparently there's a metal pin that locks the cam position when you shut the engine down. If the pin fails to engage (old design), then you get the noise on start up. The pin retracts when the oil is up to pressure. All you are doing with oil changes is reducing the amount of time it takes to pump up. You're not solving the fundamental problem.

post-21274-1213968545.jpg

All you are doing with oil changes is reducing the amount of time it takes to pump up. You're not solving the fundamental problem.

No, but the TSIB fix is a top end rebuild with some new parts, and that does. Not sure why you mentioned oil changes as it's not been referred to before in connection with this TSIB.

No, but the TSIB fix is a top end rebuild with some new parts, and that does.

Can this short lived knock cause any serious long term damage?

I have heard an odd startup noise on a few occasions and would like to get it looked into if it's likely to be damaging.

No, but the TSIB fix is a top end rebuild with some new parts, and that does.
Can this short lived knock cause any serious long term damage?

I have heard an odd startup noise on a few occasions and would like to get it looked into if it's likely to be damaging.

Not sure to be honest, but if Lexus have issued the Technical Service Information Bulletin then I suggest it's possible...go see your dealer.

Has anyone experienced the intermittent engine cranking/startup noise? it happens every now and then and heres how it sounds: http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j131/al5...nt=MOV01145.flv

it seems to be a very common problem specially with members of clublexus, there is a huge thread with over 22 pages talking about this issue. and it seems that it has something to do with the VVTI controller and the oil pressure.

Hi

have a quick read of starkey444 post on april 9th 2008 ,he had his fixed at lexus reading - mine still has the problem - and get worse as the oil level drops . bristol has tried to sort it out but insist they have to replicate the rattle beore they can touch it . it is so intermittent but as Starkey says his is fixed so if yours is the same noise as his your lexus dealership should sort it out ,as for me I have given up and will sell soon .

cheers

swager

Hi

have a quick read of starkey444 post on april 9th 2008 ,he had his fixed at lexus reading - mine still has the problem - and get worse as the oil level drops . bristol has tried to sort it out but insist they have to replicate the rattle beore they can touch it . it is so intermittent but as Starkey says his is fixed so if yours is the same noise as his your lexus dealership should sort it out ,as for me I have given up and will sell soon .

cheers

swager

Hi all,

Indeed, Reading Lexus did a fab job with my car - they did the rebuild as detailed in my last post...

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...rt=#entry530229

Its now 2 months later and I can report that the problem has not re-occurred and that the engine is starting and running perfectly.

My suggestion - get your dealer to speak to the Reading branch - I'm sure they've now posted the fix around all UK dealers (the American Tech doc was slightly different I believe) but if you can get your dealer to do what Reading did to my car then you'll be happy.

Regards

Starkey444

Hi all,

Indeed, Reading Lexus did a fab job with my car - they did the rebuild as detailed in my last post...

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...rt=#entry530229

Its now 2 months later and I can report that the problem has not re-occurred and that the engine is starting and running perfectly.

My suggestion - get your dealer to speak to the Reading branch - I'm sure they've now posted the fix around all UK dealers (the American Tech doc was slightly different I believe) but if you can get your dealer to do what Reading did to my car then you'll be happy.

Regards

Starkey444

how can you possibly even get the dealers to look at it if its so intermittent. dealers are just so reluctant at looking into it if it cannot be replicated.

just an update on this issue: my car was in for a service at Lexus Woodford and i mentioned the startup crank/rattle. They insisted that the noise has to be replicated and booked the car in for 2 days. First day was for the service and the second day to try and replicate this noise.

I took a copy of the US TSIB with me but they didn't want that because apparently the cars in the states are slightly different and the TSIB's don't always apply. anyway, luckily i think they were able to replicate it as after 4 days now they have told me that they have ordered the parts for it after liasing with lexus GB.

I've got a list of the parts that are on order and these seem to match with the part numbers listed in the US TSIB except for one part. It seems that Lexus GB now has an official TSIB on this issue.

So if anyone has experienced this issue i would recommend a visit to your dealer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links