Cambelt Change

Guest inicol63

Guest inicol63

Hi guys wanted to let you know.

I have just had my IS200 and SC430 cam belts and a A service carried out by

Westfield Motors in Essex

The IS200 auto has just over 80,000 miles

The SC430 has just fewer than 70,000

You may be asking your self’s why am I telling you about this, well the answer is

My is200 belt was so worn the belt could have give up at any time.

The Sc430 belt was in very good condition I guessing it would have been good for at least 100,000

If you check you service book it recommends the belts on both car be changed at 100,000.

Please don’t wait this long as some of you guys say 5 years or 100,000 which ever comes first.

My wife and I drive our cars with respect and never push them, so if your has been pushing your hard

Get them done around the 60,000 miles area, to save you forking out potential thousands.

The cost with tensioners and

A service

Is200 at £420

SC430 at £530

Ian

On the Lexus website, there is a section where you can submit a question. I asked what was the correct cambelt change intervall for my LS430. The reason why I asked was because the service book states 10 years or 100,000 miles, which ever occures sooner. Lexus Woodford sent me a letter saying that it was due a cambelt change and serious damage would result if this was not undertaken. They think it is 6 years or 60,000 miles. The reply I had from Lexus was 10 years or 100,000 miles so that is what I'm probably going to stick to. Afterall, if it does break causing catastrpohic engine failure, I have an email direct from Lexus stating when the change should take place.

On the Lexus website, there is a section where you can submit a question. I asked what was the correct cambelt change intervall for my LS430. The reason why I asked was because the service book states 10 years or 100,000 miles, which ever occures sooner. Lexus Woodford sent me a letter saying that it was due a cambelt change and serious damage would result if this was not undertaken. They think it is 6 years or 60,000 miles. The reply I had from Lexus was 10 years or 100,000 miles so that is what I'm probably going to stick to. Afterall, if it does break causing catastrpohic engine failure, I have an email direct from Lexus stating when the change should take place.

The change to 60,000 miles is only for the IS200. The V8 4.3 doesn't have the same problem, the belt will easily last 100,000 miles. I also don't believe any engine damage will occur on the V8 if the belt breaks.

I think I read somewhere that the 1UZ-FE engine is non interference but the 3UZ-fe is. I have always wonderd though why some engines have timing chains and some have timing belts. My Micra has a timing chain and as far as I'm aware, there are no replacement intervalls.

I think I read somewhere that the 1UZ-FE engine is non interference but the 3UZ-fe is. I have always wonderd though why some engines have timing chains and some have timing belts. My Micra has a timing chain and as far as I'm aware, there are no replacement intervalls.

We had this discussion a while ago now, but off the top of my head I can't remember what the conclusions were. I think it was that the 4 litre engines are non-interference, but the 4.3 engines were.

As for chains vs belts, belts are lighter, much quieter, do not require lubrication and are cheaper. Chains do not have an infinite life, and slowly stretch as they wear which changes the timing of the valves. They are also much more expensive to replace. I guess the manufacturers have decided belts provide a better cost of ownership, even if you do have to change them. And let's be honest, most cars will only ever require 2 cambelts in their lives, so the benefits of belts come at a cost of a single, if expensive, replacement operation at something like 60-100,000 miles.

Does this mean that my 3UZ GS430 09/2002 47000 miles FLH is interference or noninterference and is any cambelt failure likely to cause engine damage? I had My Series 1 300 cambelt done at 70k(5 years) and at 128k(9Years)

I think it means it's an interference engine. Most likely, the engine will be ruined if the belt breaks... Same as mine! :( I intend to get mine changed when I get up to about 90k, just to give myself a bit of a safety margin.

Can't afford to sell it anyway, big cars are rapidly becoming worthless so will just hang onto it for a long time yet. Cambelts and petrol are much cheaper than losing thousands in depreciation by selling at a bad time! Besides, I love my big old bus and I'm hardly doing any mileage at the moment.

I think it means it's an interference engine. Most likely, the engine will be ruined if the belt breaks... Same as mine! :( I intend to get mine changed when I get up to about 90k, just to give myself a bit of a safety margin.

Can't afford to sell it anyway, big cars are rapidly becoming worthless so will just hang onto it for a long time yet. Cambelts and petrol are much cheaper than losing thousands in depreciation by selling at a bad time! Besides, I love my big old bus and I'm hardly doing any mileage at the moment.

Only had mine 5 weeks or so.Full service done including plugs,fluids,discs/pads by Coventry prior to purchase but it is nearly 6 years old and I'm just not sure about cambelts over that age even on lower mileages like mine. May get it done next year with the Interim service if there is engine damage risk.

Does this effect the IS300 then?

The 3.0l engine used to have a 60k cam belt service interval, but may have been extended to 100k on newer models (post 2000). Check your service book to confirm. I've not heard stories of worn belts on the series I/II GS300/IS300 as with the IS200.

Guest inicol63

My IS200 2002 model year Service manual stated 100,000 miles my car would never had made that milage on the old belt.

That why i started this thread so other's could consider if they wanted to change there belts around 60,000 miles

Ian

Just a quick question....whats a A service and B service (saw this in another thread, but not sure what they are on about)? Mines due for a 70k service..is that a A or B and does anyone know the rough price i'd be looking at....and yes i will also get the cam belt/tensioner done at the same time.

A is minor at 10k, 30k etc. B is major 20k, 40k etc.

Brake fluid and coolant are changed at different intervals so it's difficult to give a price for a 70k service unless you know if they are required or not.

Assume coolant and brake fluid are not required a 70k A service should be around £150-250 depending on dealer.

Ah, cheers for that...yeah my brake fluid has been done few months back as i had to have a new caliper. Must phone lexus and book this is in as im getting a bit paranoid about my cam belt+ it was written last service that the belt was on medium worn..eek

I got mine done around 2k before the 100k schedule, thank god I did. The tensioner had gone and was causing the belt to rub against something. This in turn wore the belt down to about a third of its original width. The garage said it could have gone at anytime!

Top advice fella!

What engine number is the IS200, is it safe?

Engine number I'm not sure of, but 60,000 or 6 years is good advice for changing mate.

Cheers, but I ment as in safe that if belt goes the valves will clear the pistons!

Either way mine needs doing as i just my 100k service (at 107k) and lexus called to say they had no record of it being done, now the guy i bought it off said he had it serviced at a local garage, so i made some calls and it seems the garage owner remembers the car (and owner as hes a friend) and its never had one done! So my £450 service/mot is about to tirn into a £700-800 one! :(