Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cambelt Change

Guest inicol63

Booked mine on the 9th to be done at a garage next to lexus...70k service (£105), timing belt change, inc tensioner, idler (£230) all in. Not bad considering lexus wanted £310 for 70K service and £300+ for just timing belt!! Also is cambelt same thing as timing belt? So in all Lexus would have charge me @£610+VAT, whereas a garage down the road costs £335 all in! I know where im going....

Yes, timing belt and cambelt are the same thing. Definitely agree with the non-franchised dealer route too, I used ABM in Sydenham, SE London for my 70k service and it was hundreds cheaper than either Croydon or Guildford wanted for a minor service. When I get nervous about my own cambelt, it'll probably be going there for that too.

Hi

Just had my 60,000 mile service, with timing belt & tensioner changed at Lexus Cardiff, car 7 years old now!

total cost £694.61 :unsure:

2ddesign

I won't rub it in, but my 70k service plus cambelt/tensioner/idler all costed £500, only reason why it went up is cos i insisted in having the Denso IK20's which nearly added to £70 by themselves and ofcourse the VAT at the end, but still hundreds less than what lexus would do for. Also they found that the (could be idler or tensioner, but i forgot which one) was seized and the roller had changed colour where it was just rubbing into the belt, so my lexus lives for another day. The mechanic said it may have lasted another 10k or snap in a weeks time. Heres my cambelt..yes it had chucks taken off the edges and my cars done just over 70k.

belt001.jpg

Sorry about the blured image, rubbish camera..but you get the idea..

• 4 weeks later...
Does this effect the IS300 then?

The 3.0l engine used to have a 60k cam belt service interval, but may have been extended to 100k on newer models (post 2000). Check your service book to confirm. I've not heard stories of worn belts on the series I/II GS300/IS300 as with the IS200.

Hi Just asked this question regarding the IS300 on the IS forum, but got no replies, as i was unsure.

I have an 02 IS300...it says 100k in the book, but the talk about early changes on the 200 has made me unsure, it seems i can go to 100k with the 300, how can i clarify ?

The 3.0l engine used to have a 60k cam belt service interval, but may have been extended to 100k on newer models (post 2000). Check your service book to confirm. I've not heard stories of worn belts on the series I/II GS300/IS300 as with the IS200.

Hi Just asked this question regarding the IS300 on the IS forum, but got no replies, as i was unsure.

I have an 02 IS300...it says 100k in the book, but the talk about early changes on the 200 has made me unsure, it seems i can go to 100k with the 300, how can i clarify ?

best to get it checked out. what milage have you done,also the is200 should be changed at 6yrs so if the is300 is the same yours would be due now any way with age! :) hope this has been some help

02 plate reg/d march-sept 2002 so it would be 6yrs old

best to get it checked out. what milage have you done,also the is200 should be changed at 6yrs so if the is300 is the same yours would be due now any way with age! :) hope this has been some help

02 plate reg/d march-sept 2002 so it would be 6yrs old

Good point, forgot about age. She has done 57000 miles, so close to the 60000 suggestions for the IS200, but a long way from the 100000 in the IS300 manual. If it is a different engine without belt 'issues' then I would usually think about it at about 80000, but if the belt material actually does deteriorate through age then it looks like I should have it done soonish, especially as I want to keep her despite the 100% road tax hit next year.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
I also don't believe any engine damage will occur on the V8 if the belt breaks.

WHAAAAAAT!!!!!

Maybe car engine technology has moved on since I last took an engine apart, but surely, a broken cam belt means the valves stop moving in and out while the engine (assuming you're driving when it breaks) keeps on going. This means the pistons will collide with the valves and your engine is only good for the scrap heap; costing you A LOT.

I also don't believe any engine damage will occur on the V8 if the belt breaks.

WHAAAAAAT!!!!!

Maybe car engine technology has moved on since I last took an engine apart, but surely, a broken cam belt means the valves stop moving in and out while the engine (assuming you're driving when it breaks) keeps on going. This means the pistons will collide with the valves and your engine is only good for the scrap heap; costing you A LOT.

It depends on the design of the engine........

There are two types of engines that use timing belts. They are described as: "Interference Engines" and "Non-interference Engines" The difference lies in the proximity between the valves and the pistons.

If the timing belt breaks on a non-interference design, there is enough clearance between the pistons and valves to prevent damaging contact.

An interference design does not have sufficient clearance between those parts and engine damage would result from a broken timing belt.

Kev

There are two types of engines that use timing belts. They are described as: "Interference Engines" and "Non-interference Engines" The difference lies in the proximity between the valves and the pistons.

If the timing belt breaks on a non-interference design, there is enough clearance between the pistons and valves to prevent damaging contact.

An interference design does not have sufficient clearance between those parts and engine damage would result from a broken timing belt.

My understanding from these forums was that the IS200's 1G-FE engine was an interference design, i.e. cambelt failure = expensive bill.

However, Wiki reckons that all Toyota 1G engines are non-interference designs. I presume that Wiki is wrong on this ? (I know that Wiki is pretty good but can often be wrong).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links