Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mot Questions

Damer

My RX went for its second MOT last week. Even though it is my car it is fleet maintained so I don't have to pay for the MOT.

When I got my bag out of the boot today, I noticed the MOT centre had changed my rear number plate. So instead of saying "Lexus Stockport" it says "*&**&**& Autocentre"

I know it is being fussy but I do prefer the plates saying "Lexus".

Only reason I can think they changed it is because the original plate was a bit water stained. Is that grounds for it to fail an MOT if so I can understand why they changed it. Otherwise I might have a bit of a moan at them.

ive never heared of a garage changing a plate cos it was water stained or anything else for that matter unless it was broken,i think they've changed it cos its fleet maintained they get a bit of publicity cos they've probably changed all of the fleet cars.cant you just ask for the original plate back

ive never heared of a garage changing a plate cos it was water stained or anything else for that matter unless it was broken,i think they've changed it cos its fleet maintained they get a bit of publicity cos they've probably changed all of the fleet cars.cant you just ask for the original plate back

Thats what I was thinking but wanted to check first. They didn't change the front plate just the rear.

Thats what I was thinking but wanted to check first. They didn't change the front plate just the rear.

strange

AFAIK number plates can fail the MOT if they are cracked, broken or water stained to the extent that they cannot be read clearly. Also depends on how picky the MOT tester is.

AFAIK number plates can fail the MOT if they are cracked, broken or water stained to the extent that they cannot be read clearly. Also depends on how picky the MOT tester is.

I suspect that is what happened. As I say I don't really have an issues except it says "*&^^%&&* Auto Centre" not "Lexus Stockport" on the bottom. I suppose it is the inner snob in me coming out.

At least I am not as bad as my sister. When she got a brand new company BMW she rang the dealer to replace the "Autolease" number plates "BMW MayFair" plates. :blush:

But plates now are not supposed to be made up without proof of ownership in the form of the V5. Fleet maintenance or the fact that the car has that plate already does not constitute proof to legally make a new plate and fit it, so I think you will find that the garage concerned has acted illegally, just as a point of interest.

But plates now are not supposed to be made up without proof of ownership in the form of the V5. Fleet maintenance or the fact that the car has that plate already does not constitute proof to legally make a new plate and fit it, so I think you will find that the garage concerned has acted illegally, just as a point of interest.

Interesting point!

I thought the proof you had to provide was to prove the car is the car you say it is and has that reg number. Basically so that you can't make up false number plates. The MOT station has that info at its disposal through the DVLA and I assume they made them up. Unless the "Auto Centre" bit is the name of a different company who made them. i.e. to be properly legal, the plates are meant to display the name and postcode of the company who made them I believe.

Does sound a bit weird, I'd ask why they did it - if there wasn't any damage to it, why change it?

I suspect that is what happened. As I say I don't really have an issues except it says "*&^^%&&* Auto Centre" not "Lexus Stockport" on the bottom. I suppose it is the inner snob in me coming out.

At least I am not as bad as my sister. When she got a brand new company BMW she rang the dealer to replace the "Autolease" number plates "BMW MayFair" plates. :blush:

I don't think it's that bad to think that, funnily enough I saw a really nice Merc CLK the other day, only 2 years old, full AMG kit, etc, but it had "Cargiant" on the plates and it just instantly made me think less of the car! :lol:

Does sound a bit weird, I'd ask why they did it - if there wasn't any damage to it, why change it?

I don't think it's that bad to think that, funnily enough I saw a really nice Merc CLK the other day, only 2 years old, full AMG kit, etc, but it had "Cargiant" on the plates and it just instantly made me think less of the car! :lol:

Hurraahh! I am not alone! :blush:

• 1 month later...

sorry only just seen this as a mot tester i will say

most of it is down to the tester what i think is bad and what you think is bad are two diff things

you can fail it if its stained but only if it makes it likey to be miss read

and you can not make new plates up unless you have the v5 and driving licence and a mot even if its a fail

so they had no right of changing the plates as the car is in your name

matt

LOL!! I do that too!! :lol:

• 11 months later...

Hi folks

i knew to this site but as a mechanic and mot tester of some 20 years i think my knowladge can clear this point up.

ok yes your can fail on number plates, i think this point has been established. As far as issuing number plates goes, there is in place a regristration scheme were any garage registered can issue number plates as long as there name and company postcode goes on the plate. this systen has to be in place otherwise how would garage make and issue new number plates to new cars, after all they dont come from the factory with plates so someone has to make them.

my garage registered for the scheme some years ago but we didnt buy the plate making machine so, and i add quite legally, that our local spares shop makes them up for us with our details on as we are the issuing garage. so as long as the garage details are on the plate and not the plate makers details on this is fine legal and normal.

As far as far as solving the problem of keeping stolen/cloned cars goes it hasnt solved the problem. you can go to most sign makers who will make you up a plate as long as you tell them "its for show use only" until this practice is stopped there will still be stolen/cloned cars out there.

the number plate issue was brought into the mot test a while ago in such a way that the plate had to a plate and not a sign. the plate had to have issuing garage/manufactures details on and have a bsb kite mark. this "fail" item was taken out again some weeks after it came in with no reasoning from v.o.s.a.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links