Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LPG Conversion

keywest

I have a 2001 RX300SE. At the time of purchase from the dealer I was told that he had an enquiry from a company looking at the potential of an LPG conversion using a doughnut tank to replace the spare wheel. There has been no comeback at the dealership but a local (reputable) LPG conversion company tell me that although they haven't done a RX300 they think they could do it having converted loads of different cars.

Has anybody out there had an LPG conversion carried out. If so has it worked, does it affect performance (I tow a caravan), does it affect the warranty (the LPG convertor says it shouldn't and they provide a warranty on the LPG conversion), and has anyone managed to get any money out of the Powershift programme run by the Energy Savings Trust, the Government's organisation promoting alternative fuels (www.est-powershift.org.uk) as this could refund up to 75% of the pre-VAT cost.

With no spare wheel has anyone any experience of the effectiveness of aerosol foam inflators?

Finally has anyone a view on how an LPG conversion would affect re-sale value?

OK, this is my experience of an LPG conversion, and may not be the experience everyone has!

Given the choice over, I would never have had it done. Powershift grant? Forget it, the only Lexus eligible is the GS300 for some reason.

My car was the first IS200 to be converted by the company involved (parent firm AND franchisee). I opted for a full size tank due to the mileage I cover (minimum 100 miles per day).

The car has never run right on gas ever. It ticks over too low, occasionally stalling, after a long time at high speed (e.g. a motorway run) as you slow down it often cuts out or has no power (particularly annoying when your trying to pull onto a busy roundabout), the gas consumption is horrendous (12mpg) making it cheaper to run on petrol. Even when running "correctly" the car is a little sluggish.

My advice is: don't let them experiment on your car, wait till they do it to someone else's then test drive it.

If you'd like, I'll e-mail you the details of the company I used so that you can avoid them like the plague.

Not too enthusiastic then !!!

I get about 23 mpg from the RX which is as about what I expected when I bought it but the 'promise' of cheaper motoring was alluring.

Please let me know who you used and thanks for the info.

I posted the question just after registering for on TeamLexus and must say how impressed I am with the speed of the reply.

What an excellent web site. Makes me even happier for buying a Lexus!

Hi Keywest

Welcome to the club! We all help each other as much as we can! If you have any questions regarding your Lexus or in fact anything about motoring and we are always around to answer your questions!

Also to note about our meeting in warwickshire on the 30th... if you can make please feel free to come along! Will be a great day out!... The address is on the main news page.

Steve

My local LPG agent told me they cover the conversion part for 12 months - but have experienced a little dificulty with the cars original warranties. Apparently a lot depends on the system and how you use it. Their system has a 3 way main control switch. all gas, all petrol or "auto". i.e. AUTO in the UK typically it would run petrol for 5 minutes until warm - then flick to gas until tank runs dry - then auto flick back to petrol if you forget to re-fill with LPG. They say auto is the best as the LPG system doesn't like really cold starts.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links