Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Isupra Conversion

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be on mate, it's just the guy who organises it is having a nightmare and the council scuppered the agreed venue late last year so he's in talks with another venue now, it's just taking longer than usual!

I do feel sorry for him though as he's getting loads of flack for something that was outside of his control!

Looking forward to seeing the car alive again mate, been a long time since I last sat in it!

Not a terrible lot happening as the turbo is off the car. It is now with GP turbos getting new seals and bearings and I could possibly have it by the end of the week. In the mean time I got a couple of minor yet important jobs done. First thing was to make myself a set of Det cans for when I'm mapping the car. For anyone who doesn't know these are used for listening to your engine while mapping. You do this to hear if the engine is knocking/detonating. Knocking is bad as it encourages detonation and/or pre-ignition which can kill engines in a short space of time. Electronic knock sensors can be used but they tend to be expensive and many say that det cans are better as you can distinguish knock from other engine noise easier due to the fact you are using the human ear as opposed to an electronic sensor tuned to a certain frequency.

Anyway I started with the engine side of things and got a piece of copper tube and flattened one end before drilling a hole through the flattened section. This was mounted directly onto the head and acts as the noise pick up.

copperknocksensortubetm0.jpg

I then got a pair of good quality ear defenders and modifyed them. The foam was taken out of one side so I could drill a hole in the shell. I hand a large barb fitting and fitted it into the shell of the ear defenders. I then cut a small section of the foam out and replaced the foam in the shell. I have a length of heavy duty rubber hose that gets attached from the ear defenders to the copper pipe on the head of the engine that will allow me to hear any noises directly from the engine bay without the sound being muffled by sound deadening or drowned out by exhaust noise etc. When done i can just pull the rubber tube out and leave the copper pipe in place.

detcansir0.jpg

detcans1ny2.jpg

detcans2dg6.jpg

I also recieved a new radiator expansion tank to replace the temporary unit I had installed. Needed some very slight playing with to fit but was relatively painless.

expansiontankbq4.jpg

expansiontank1tl7.jpg

This one below is the old one that I had mocked up. It worked but it isn't hard to see why I wanted rid of it lol.

oldexpansiontankhw3.jpg

I also tried to clean up the oil/assembly lube in the down pipe to reduce the smoking when it heats up again but it is quite tough and sticky. Although I did get a good amount out I will most likely have to let it burn off for quite a while before it all clears.

Just have to wait on the turbo now.

Those det cans are quality, never seen anything like that before!

Bet you must be looking forward to getting that turbo back and firing it up again, I know I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes then :)

Yeah Stav mapping myself. Have been swatting up on it for some time now and am confident I know what I'm doing. Just need to take it slow to start.

Elliot it was a one off I found on eBay. been looking for one for ages and it popped up. It is quite small and could prove to be too small but I will only know after a good hard drive when I check the level in it. I may need to circulate it into another expansion tank as this one can be used a kind of swirl pot for the rad too. Time will tell. I may also get something custom made up in the future.

So I got my turbo back last night after the rebuild. New seals and bearings where fitted and obviously the whole turbo was thouroughly cleaned to get rid of the dreaded sticky goo. The play in the shaft is now nearly non-existent, the way it should be.

This is the exhaust side all cleaned up.

exhausthousingcleankp3.jpg

exhausthousingclean1kp5.jpg

I also decided to give the polished compressor housing a quick hand polish.

Before...

comphousingbeforepolishej1.jpg

After...

comphousingpolishedzc4.jpg

comphousingpolished1ur2.jpg

I had a short roll of heat wrap that I decided to use for the down pipe. Reason being that the water pipes going into the bulk head for the heater matrix are very very close to the downpipe and I know that the exhausts on 2JZ's can get extremely hot. I have heard stories of interior carpets in foot wells melting etc. I have also covered the water pipes with heat reflective mating for further protection.

downpipewrappedma5.jpg

I have started the car but as expected it is still very smokey as there was quite a bit of oil left inside the exhaust that I was unable to clean. It could be quite a while before it clears.

I had the AFR readings displayed this time on the laptop using the Innovate Logworks software as I don't have a seperate gauge. After the engine got up to temp the readings where around the 16:1 mark on idle which is fine but I will need to slightly adjust this for a steadier idle.

After I check over a few other minor points and calibrate the wideband to work with the ECU I can then start the mapping.

Happy enough overall but still not out of the woods just yet lol.

I just impressed your doin the mapping and alot of the things yourself, always for a great read :) I certainly dont have the patience or skills to do such top work or even get anything working lol,keep us posted mate.

• 3 weeks later...

Got some more bad news followed by some not so bad news. The turbo seals blew again.....twice lol. I re-fitted the turbo after getting the seals and bearings fitted and the turbo fully cleaned up etc and as I said above it was still smokey. I initially thought this was left over oil in the exhaust but upon further inspection I noticed the oil dripping from the exhaust housing again onto the manifold. So off came the turbo and the down pipe had cleared the old oil build up already but exhaust housing for the turbo had a puddle of oil in it. Back to the drawing board again.

This time I took my oil return line to GP turbos to let Robert look at it and he immediately said the return line inner bore was to small. This was stopping the oil from draining away from the turbo quick enough and it was backing up into the turbo and escaping through the seals. I now have a new (bigger) return line made up and the turbo rebuilt again. Problem is that I still have the old fitting in my sump from before which needs to be changed to a bigger one. That means the sump has to come off which means the engine has to come out or the subframe dropped to gain access. Oh how pleased I am at that lol. Anyway pics below of the turbo when I removed it the second time.

turbooildrip.jpg

turbooildrip1.jpg

On a more positive note I did get my grill fitted. It was not a proper fit by any means as the bumper is custom and the grill is for the standard bumper but itis a vast improvement on what I had previously. Not overly happy with it but it will do for now.

grill.jpg

grill1e.jpg

grill2.jpg

grill3.jpg

As for the oil return line I will get the sump off this week and i also want to slightly modify my oil feed line to be sure I am not getting too much pressure in the first place. Then it's back to guessing what the next drama will be.....

I don't wanna speak to soon but I am fairly sure I have the problem solved. Bolted everything up with the new bigger oil return line etc etc. Started the car and there was a tiny bit of smoke which is to be expected as there would be some oil left over in the exhaust. Took the car a small trip up a private lane way just driving slow and I did get some more smoke but when I returned and let the car idle the smoke dissapeared completely!! That was all i tried as I had other stuff to do but I am happy with the result. I need to do some more minor testing along with a bit of light load mapping and get it booked for MOT. I will be back with some more good results....hopefully...

• 2 weeks later...

Woo foopin hoo....

Finally on the road so to speak.

I have just got the car MOT'd as of yesterday. Failed the first time but only on ball joints so popped new lower ball joints in and job done. I have to get my insurance sorted tomorrow as i got a nice quote from greenlight and I can then tax it. I did some light throttle mapping on the way to a from MOT and the car seems to be driving so much better than it ever did. The engine still needs run in so it will be light throttle stuff for 1000 miles or so then I'll go for some proper mapping.

Over all very happy now to see some light at the end of the tunnel. still some bits and pieces need sorted for eg; I need a new T4 turbo/manifold gasket as I have a steel one which is useless so a cometic one is on its way from the states. My cam covers and spark plug cover are still to be painted and some other tidying in the engine bay needs done. I need to do some work in my boot to propery fit the Battery and tidy some wiring and finally when I figure out the best way to go about it I will sort my diff out as the car is now way way undergeared which is making it extra bad on the fuel and it is also ruining the drivability of the car.

I'll try and get some more pics and hopefully a couple of vids eventually.

• 1 month later...

Just got the car on the dyno'd.

Running only 1.2bar boost and with a bad missfire due to I think dodgy coil packs it made 473BHP......woo hoo.

The missfire is visible on the printout so it will be sorted and then more boost to come and I should hope to be around the 550BHP mark at least.

Overall very happy with the result so far but still got some to go.

isupradyno.jpg