Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extra Load (xl) Tyres Vs Normal Tyres

kam05

I'm due 4 new tyres in the next 2/3 months so I'm doing some research in advanced.

Been looking into replacement tyres, I've made my mind up and I will be going for the Goodyear GSD3's (215/45/17). I noticed that Camskill stock these tyres in both normal and extra load (reinforced) versions. Question is: Do I need XL tyres? Most of the time I carry 2 passengers with an empty boot. On the Camskill website there is only a £1 difference between the XL tyres and the normal tyres.

I currently have Fullrun HP199 tyres fitted, frankly, the less said about them the better. I posted my review of Fullrun tyres on a post called 'Can anyone tell me about Fullrun tyres'.

Thanks

I would not have thought you needed XL on your is200, but you just need to check the load rating of the tyre and the road load or wieght per axle in your handbook.

Best regards David

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I've found another tyre website that sell the XL GSD3's cheaper than the normal ones from Camskill. Camskill sell the normal GSD3's for £75 each where as the other place I've found will sell me the XL ones for £70 each.

Is worth going for the XL GSD3's for £70 instead of the normal ones for £75? I'm not too fussed about the price, I'm more bothered about ruining the handling/comfort of the car by fitting XL tyres (not sure if XL tyres will have an effect on comfort/handling etc)

Usually you will notice an appreciable increase in ride harshness and noise using XL tyres, there are some around that use different materials in the sidewalls to try and counteract these disadvantages but as a rule XL tyres will give a harder and noisier ride, if you don't need them stick to standard ratings.

One example I had was with my brand new galaxy which came with 16" XL Dunlop tyres, I changed the wheels over to 18" with standard loading tyres (well within the rating parameters) and was immediately amazed at the quieter and more comfortable ride even though I had gone from 16" 55% series to 18" 40% series tyres!

Best regards David