Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx New Model For 2009 ?

It looks ok, but I keep thinking Subaru when I look at it............I do think the C pillar has too sharp a rake to it though, the roof rails shouldn't be so bold and the rear lights look better on the old one.

Love the interior though, that looks really funky, but not sure why they've decided to go for an iDrive type system. Although the controller is square, which would imply that it doesn't spin, does that mean it's a joystick like in the IS200? If so that is a serious step backwards imo.

However, why do they put so much design into the whole car, and then insist on leaving those same rectangular switches next to the steering wheel, and that stupid microwave clock! :blink:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks ok, but I keep thinking Subaru when I look at it............I do think the C pillar has too sharp a rake to it though, the roof rails shouldn't be so bold and the rear lights look better on the old one.

Love the interior though, that looks really funky, but not sure why they've decided to go for an iDrive type system. Although the controller is square, which would imply that it doesn't spin, does that mean it's a joystick like in the IS200? If so that is a serious step backwards imo.

However, why do they put so much design into the whole car, and then insist on leaving those same rectangular switches next to the steering wheel, and that stupid microwave clock! :blink:

Subaru?! That's EXACTLY what I thought! The new RX looks truly awful. Perhaps when it comes here they may fit slight different bits to it and make it more appealing??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
That 'new' RX seems like its hit a few branches of the ugly tree on its way down. Looks weird in temrs of proportions IMHO...

I agree - What a shame !!!

Lexus could have made it beautiful like the concept car but it is more like the Mark I RX. The current model looks better.

In today's market I think they are going to suffer as a lot of people would have traded up to the new version next year.

As much as I love the car I may try something else next year and maybe come back if the Mark IV improves in 2012 (if Lexus survive the turmoil to come)

Merry Xmas + Hopefully a Happy New Year for 2009

Gary :zee:

That 'new' RX seems like its hit a few branches of the ugly tree on its way down. Looks weird in temrs of proportions IMHO...

I like the interior and the front but the side profile and rear, well, I shall have to wait until I see it in the flesh!

There are some similarities with the rear of the Mondeo estate though.......

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...Den-us%26sa%3DN

• 3 weeks later...

I like the interior and the front but the side profile and rear, well, I shall have to wait until I see it in the flesh!

There are some similarities with the rear of the Mondeo estate though.......

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...Den-us%26sa%3DN

I think the interior of the Mondeo estate looks better than the new Lexus RX - We should soon find out as the release is this year. In this market the prices will have to be keen.

Lets hope the spy pictures are wrong and the original prototype photos are closer to the mark.

Gazman :zee:

So the new RX is going to be hybrid only in the UK? Do the hybrid sales outweigh the normal petrol sales that much?

Although if it's priced keenly it won't really make a difference as the hybrid would usually make more sense.

I don't get it.

Petrol version not selling. Therefore this should [have?] be/been built around the hybrid system from the ground up. So if so why put that ugly slot under the main grill again similarly to what we have with today's RX400h? Surely working from the ground up the designers could do a better job of integrating the cooling inlets than this!

:unsure:

I agree Damian, they have missed a great opportunity here :-(

Gazman :zee:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just come back from the states and managed to stop by at the Lexus dealer in Dallas to look at the new RX. They had the RX350 there, and lots of them. Petrol is still really cheap in the US and their RX350 sales outstrip hybrids by more than 10:1. I told them that it is the opposite in the UK and they were amazed by that.

So - I had a really good look at the 2010 RX and spent 20 minutes playing around with it, but did not drive it. Parked amongst the outgoing models, the styling looks a little chubby and awkward, especially the front view. Inside, it feels very much like the outgoing RX looking at the back seats and boot.

The dash is obviously where the major changes are. The nav screen feels along way away, so that will be why it is no longer touch screen. The outside has alot of chrome trim around the windows, perhaps a little too bling. One amazing omission is that there are no rubbing strips on the doors to afford some protection against dings. Hopefully that may be different for the UK models, but then again, not.

If anyone has any specific Q's - drop me a line and I will try to answer them.

I always pop into local Dealers when I'm in Houston. Texas is a 'truck state' and God bless 'em they love their SUVs :)Hybrid is expensive to buy and technologically complex for them ;) and with TX having the lowest 'gas' prices in the US not surprising at all.

Glad you took the opportunity to have a good look round the new RX. I always ended up bying bits for my RX when in Houston.

Right then, so to get what was the SE - Sat Nav or now the Executive Limited Edition - with the power boot lid - you have to buy an SE-I, but you get no sunroof, but you add parking sensors front and back!

An SE-I with metallic paint comes to £45,830 - wow

Now, 5 weeks ago I bought the Executive Limited Edition for about £32,500 including 2 years servicing.

Hmmmmm, that be a lot of money difference then, although I wonder what discounts you will be able to get? Will Lexus still be offering the £2500 off?

I always pop into local Dealers when I'm in Houston. Texas is a 'truck state' and God bless 'em they love their SUVs :)Hybrid is expensive to buy and technologically complex for them ;) and with TX having the lowest 'gas' prices in the US not surprising at all.

Glad you took the opportunity to have a good look round the new RX. I always ended up bying bits for my RX when in Houston.

Yep - I bought some bits for mine, all pre-ordered. Unfortunately, one bit was 'wrong' because they supplied a part of an RX so basic, that it never existed in the UK - sp had to return in it. Hopefully they will get the right bit and send it over, subject to getting stung at customs. Parts there are either the same price, or alot less. U have never seen so many RXs in one place, and out and about on the surrounding roads. Very popular!! The new RX350 also seemed very quiet when going by on the public road.

Right then, so to get what was the SE - Sat Nav or now the Executive Limited Edition - with the power boot lid - you have to buy an SE-I, but you get no sunroof, but you add parking sensors front and back!

An SE-I with metallic paint comes to £45,830 - wow

Now, 5 weeks ago I bought the Executive Limited Edition for about £32,500 including 2 years servicing.

Hmmmmm, that be a lot of money difference then, although I wonder what discounts you will be able to get? Will Lexus still be offering the £2500 off?

I got a similar deal on an Exel Ltd Ed 4 weeks ago. When I learned the prices for the new RX, that sealed the deal for me. The 400h is alot of car for £30K ish, rather than pay another £14K on top, albeit for the latest shape. I don't think there will be any incentive deals on the new car. Lexus will be milking the most of the opportunity to get list.

One thing that I didn't feel was right on this model, is the mouse control. Being in the US, the mouse works OK as the car is LHD and the mouse is therefore used with the right hand. I don't think it will be so easy to use in a RHD with the left hand. That's not so natural and will require some practice.

What I said earlier about door protection strips has come true. Aftermarket companies in the US are offering self-adhesive stick on door protection strips now. Lexus omitted to include any protection, even as an option it seems.

Interesting point, but as Japan is a RHD market they must have thought it was still ok? My satnav controls (although not a mouse) are under my left hand and can't say it's ever really been a problem.

Agree about door protection strips, that's a modern trend that I've never been too keen on - it's not just Lexus, almost every car now doesn't have protection strips which coincides well with the decline in the care of people towards other people's property........ :angry:

Another review of the new RX. This time by 4Car. Linky.

Do you believe Lexus will be able to shift the top of the line models at the cost they are releasing it for??