Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fully And Semi Synthetic Oil For Is220d

Hello,

It is not very clear which type of engine oil to use for the IS220D. Some dealers say that semisynthetic is OK (because it is cheaper for them) others have a different view saying that fully synthetic engine oil is alwasy preferred for big cars.

What do you think?

Lion

This IS was designed to be run on mineral oil - in fact early on Lexus did state that the car was supposed to be cheaper to service - and the oil was a key factor. It's probably one reason for Lexus having fixed servicing (10k/12m), but no dealer will offr you mineral oils.

It turns out that:

1) Dealers try and you flog you oil at ridiculous prices - like up to £20 p/litre - mobil1 10/40 Fully Synth (when you can buy the oil for £23+Vat for 4 litres at Costco...!!!) - like every sller, customer servic slogans are great for drawing people in, but their "bottom line" is what floats their boat!!

2) The new IS looks to be far more expensive to service than any of the competition over a typical 60,000 miles

3) Don't know what it cost to to service an equivalent IS200/300 over 60K, but my estimation is that new IS will cost approx £1380 just in standard servicing

Just to put things into persepective, my Old A4 would have cost me £650ish over 60,000 for basic servicing

Bottom line is that it is a Top end expensive car, so you really need to put the best oil you can afford in and dealers will always play the conscience card. Lexus's are not cheap to service, and it's one (more) area where it does appear to be lagging behind...

I would suggest that we should all start to provide our own oil - should knock £50-60 odd quid off the servicing costs and send a clear mesage to the dealerships....I suppose someone has to pay for the classy showrooms with B&O televisions, Saturday car wash clubs etc... :lol:

This IS was designed to be run on mineral oil - in fact early on Lexus did state that the car was supposed to be cheaper to service - and the oil was a key factor. It's probably one reason for Lexus having fixed servicing (10k/12m), but no dealer will offr you mineral oils.

It turns out that:

1) Dealers try and you flog you oil at ridiculous prices - like up to £20 p/litre - mobil1 10/40 Fully Synth (when you can buy the oil for £23+Vat for 4 litres at Costco...!!!) - like every sller, customer servic slogans are great for drawing people in, but their "bottom line" is what floats their boat!!

2) The new IS looks to be far more expensive to service than any of the competition over a typical 60,000 miles

3) Don't know what it cost to to service an equivalent IS200/300 over 60K, but my estimation is that new IS will cost approx £1380 just in standard servicing

Just to put things into persepective, my Old A4 would have cost me £650ish over 60,000 for basic servicing

Bottom line is that it is a Top end expensive car, so you really need to put the best oil you can afford in and dealers will always play the conscience card. Lexus's are not cheap to service, and it's one (more) area where it does appear to be lagging behind...

I would suggest that we should all start to provide our own oil - should knock £50-60 odd quid off the servicing costs and send a clear mesage to the dealerships....I suppose someone has to pay for the classy showrooms with B&O televisions, Saturday car wash clubs etc... :lol:

Thank you for your response. I agree with you. It is a disgrace the service they provide to us. The 10k service costs 185 pounds when in Germany for the same car the service costs only 150EUROS.

I am thinking seriously to report UK dealers to Lexus in Belgium (Centre of Lexus)