Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Windscreen Being Fitted - Anything I Need To Know!

Hi Guys.

Had a huge stone hit the corner of my is200 windscreen this morning - within 3 miles i had a 10 inch crack across the passengers side.

Phoned my insurance company up when i got home this evening & they put me through to AutoGlass

The lady at the call centre said they did not have any in stock but if it was a roadside emergency they could get one in 4hrs!!!!!

As i could still use the car, she said it would better all round to have it fitted at the local depot rather than roadside anyway.

She took my registration & then said she had booked the fitting at my local branch this satarday at 8am.

What i want to know is there anything i need to look out for or be carefull off!!!!!

I.E - will it be a genuine Lex screen or aftermarket!!, is my screen heated!!, is it tinted!! etc etc

I just don't want to be fobbed off by some bloke telling me they are all exactly the same & it makes no difference, especially as i have to pay £60 excess.

52 Plate is200 SE

Thanks Guys

bet they don't use geniune parts, had lots of trouble when I had a focus ghia a few years ago and they tried to fit a non genuine windscreen, the tint didn't match and they tried to tell me it was normal. Keep a close eye on the fitter, putting tools on your roof seems to be common practice.

Think all IS200's have the heating element at the bottom, heard of other members getting supplied windscreens that didnt have it, dont think any IS200's have front tint :huh:

Wonder If this will go well at once.

Over here (Holland) Carglass is rubbish (and imho. only good for lease cars)

The good thing is almost all the screens for IS are supplied by A brands so not too much bad quality on the market.

Best Screen is Asahi (original)

Pilkinton a good alternative (but definitely not equal to the Asahi screens).

There are several different versions on the market (with sunscreen band and without, with mirror holder and without, with heated lower part or without).

Asahi shows clear threads on the lower part of the windscreen (only wipers are heated) but every lexus IS can be fitted with heated screen (only thing to do is to plug in the connection it will work in combination with the heated mirrors)

It's allmost impossible to fit an IS screen in open air (most good companies won't do this).

Since Lexus tend too glue the screen in before the paint is completely dry a lot of paint will come off while removing the damaged screen and glue. If this isn't repaired (primer/paint) properly rust will have a chance (in fact a lot of Is suffer from rust caused by badly fitted screens).

If it was me I would pay extra for an original lexus/asahi window and would take nothing less than Pilkinton (or Saint gobain).

brand is printed on the left lower corner of the window.

Succes!

there has been some posts up about people getting new windscreen's and it not being seal'd properly and it knackers the auto head lamps as water gets onto the unit and the light's have a mind of ther own ie. thay come on at night when your in the house and the cars all locked up i would have a look for posts reg this

there has been some posts up about people getting new windscreen's and it not being seal'd properly and it knackers the auto head lamps as water gets onto the unit and the light's have a mind of ther own ie. thay come on at night when your in the house and the cars all locked up i would have a look for posts reg this

thats 100% correct as ive had the problem and it'll cost you a minimum of £500 to get sorted unless you manage to find the parts it brakes cheap,so make sure the double,and tripple check its sealed properly

Tell them to remove the Inner A POST covers if they can as they have a habit of cutting through them when taking the old screen out and makes a mess of them by cutting through the material? The RAC chap did it to mine not long ago but did repair them and said they would replace them if i wasnt happy.

The new screen should be fitted with a double bead of sealant to stop the leaks as it a known problem by the RAC for them leaking but not sure about autoglass fitters and ask for a new rubber seal to be fitted around the screen as most use the old one which splits when removed :)

Had loads of trouble with Auto-glass

firstly they asked all my details , then said they didn't have one in stock but should be here next morning

i returned next day ( Sat ) only for them to tell me that the wrong windscreen had been sent ,

they said they could fit it no probs but my rear view mirror would have to be fitted to the screen away from its

original mounting , also they said this was not the heated screen that i was supposed to have

i think you know my answer to these complete idiots :tsktsk:

one more thing i found out at a later date : this windscreen was £ 128.00 cheaper than the one that i should have had

& eventually did have !

Hi Guys.

Had it fitted this morning.

I received a phone call from the branch manager yesterday who asked me a few more indepth questions than the national call centre did - which i was quite pleased about as he sounded as though he knew his stuff.

I.E - did i want a Asahi or Pilkinton (it made no odds to him as he was billing my insurance company,) was the mirror fitted to the galss or head lining, has it got a heated element at the bottom, & was it a is200SE or Sport (apparently the tint is different in the SE & Sport.)

Anyway - dropped the car off this morning & out came this lad who looked at my cracked screen to check the one they had ordered in was correct!!!! - which it was thank goodness, as the crack was now 14inchs long

I was then asked to see the manager who told me that it would take 3 hours to fit (NOT 2 AS NORMAL) as they would be putting in more sealer than normal & removing the inner window post covers (this sounded good news to me)

So there we go - one new asahi sreen fitted complete with new outer seel, no damage to paintwork or interior & as long as it does not leak - i am very pleased

In summery Autoglass Ipswich seem ok to me & well worth a trip for anyone who takes care of their pride & joy & does not some spotty YTS boy with a set of screwdrivers anywhere within a hundred yards of their LEX

• 1 month later...

The only thing I know about mine is it protects against UVA/B and has a tint but only a very subtle one.

Another thread says there's a heated part at the base where the wipers reside, presumably for cold days. But I can't see any heating elements or such on mine, just a black-out section.

Of course there's the shaded part at the top too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links