Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am looking to purchase lexus in next few months so I am doing some research. Would ideally like an automatic but have noticed thay dont do a deisel automatic. Is this correct? If not, any ideas of what the MPG is for both manual diesel 220d and pentrol 220 automatic. Cheers

I am looking to purchase lexus in next few months so I am doing some research. Would ideally like an automatic but have noticed thay dont do a deisel automatic. Is this correct? If not, any ideas of what the MPG is for both manual diesel 220d and pentrol 220 automatic. Cheers

It's a 250 Petrol, not a 220, and I'll leave the oilers to make make their modest claims on mpg...I've had 48 mpg out of my 250 petrol, but that was 100 miles of motorway at 75 mph, mostly on cruise control...my usual average is 28-30.

Diesel mpg depends on whether you get the sport trim or not as the gear ratio is different (non-sport is more economical). I usually get about 40mpg with my IS220d Sport but fuel consumption varies hugely depending on your driving style and journey type. My current commute involves 90% motorway at 70mph. For that route I can get 31mpg or 47mpg depending on how I drive. When I had a commute that involved less motorway I was getting low to mid 30s.

Currently getting about 32 / 33 mpg in my 250 auto, based on 2500 miles total where my daily commute is 27 miles each way. Motorway runs (100 miles plus) at 70 to 85 mph have given anything up to 37mpg so far, but I haven't particularly tried to get good mpg yet.

Can't answer about the diesel.

Full tank average, 37.4 mpg, driving at 70-3mph over 486 miles with CC where I can. 420mls in motorway, rest all town.

Not too good, and if you don't mind driving Auto, forget about the manual diesel.

Diesel has had much bad writeup, some justified.

Hard for me to say on the Petrol but my 220d with 17" wheels

gets me around 43-48 MPG Tank Avg, and the car Avg now is sitting at 40.2mpg,

i do 46 miles per day to and from work mainly Motoway M42 M6 south

Then some dads Taxi and football, also good thing is i only fill up every two weeks now.

As mentioned Before i am well impressed with Mine, first diesel i have owned

I had the IS200 Alcoholic before so it is a major improvement in MPG for me.

and i have all the Toys the 250 has and the same comfort.

But it is not Just the MPG think of the Road tax you will be paying for the Petrol version soon :whistling:

Only you can decide which to have

Matt

According to Parker's guide the IS250 Auto will be £300 next year (band K) and £310 in 2010.

The IS250 Manual will be £415 next year (band L) and £430 from 2010.

The IS220D will be £175 next year (band H) and £180 from 2010.

So an IS250 Auto will cost £125 more than an IS220D to tax next year - which equates to 34p per day extra. In my opinion the smoothness of the auto makes this extra cost worthwhile.

Currently getting about 32 / 33 mpg in my 250 auto, based on 2500 miles total where my daily commute is 27 miles each way. Motorway runs (100 miles plus) at 70 to 85 mph have given anything up to 37mpg so far, but I haven't particularly tried to get good mpg yet.

I'd broadly agree with that. About 32mpg for a mixed bag of driving. Around town this will drop down to mid 20s, but on the open road, 40mpg is achievable if you cruise at a steady 70-75mph.

Thanks for all your replies gents, much appreciated! After reading them all my conclusions are as follows. Please feel free to comment if you disagree.

1) 220d does 40mpg standard, more on motorways but seems to have some problems with the model

2) 250 auto does between 26-34mpg depending on driving style. Upto 40mpg on motorways. Solid good car

Which one would you choose?

Well, I would choose 220d Sport, and luckily that's what I've got! 25k miles, no problems apart from the minor rattle from the B-pillar. Getting 48 MPG tank averages all the time.

If I did a lot of urban miles, then it would be a different story.

i think annual mileage is an important factor,in my own situation at 18k a year and the rfl changes and the lower insurance group i estimate that next year i will be nearly £1,000 better off with 220d than i would be with a 250.

I´m with FinLex, I drive to work some 300km every monday morning and back home on Thursday. In the summertime I always drive to Italy and back. Every year I est. I do some 30 000 km and for me preferring a Lexus over any other car the IS 220d sport is the car. I have had no problem whatsoever so far - I still think my fuelconsumption (average 0.78 l/10km) could be better as I´m driving 90% motor/highways. But then I drive pretty fast.

I just had my 5th inj/ECU-upgrade done (last week) and I´m curious what will happen with it....

Hi,

In my view as a former 220d owner (I averaged 37mpg and 39mpg with DPS4, but had many, many problems) you need to ask yourself a few questions...

1. Do you drive more than 60-70k in three years? If not, probably better to look at petrol, the IS 250 auto is very good.

If you do the miles then...

2. Service, Lexus operate fixed servicing, 10k or 12 months. This adds up if you require 2 or 3 a year.

3. Coffee and pastries, do you like them? If you get one as bad as mine then you'll overdose on the stuff due to the amount of times you'll be at the dealer! :lol:

In short, I'd go with the 250 auto regardless, bare in mind the widening price difference between petrol/diesel. But if you definately gotta have the diesel get the sport model. The different rear axle ratio transforms the gearbox. In the Base, SE or SE-L models its hopeless. Many threads on here about it.

Hope this is of help....

IS250 any day. It's a gem. I was getting about 34mpg average in my Merc C270 CDI which was nice but noisy and unrefined around town. I'm now driving a 2.5 litre petrol which knocks spots off the C270 for performance, refinement, everything.

I'm getting about 30-32mpg but insurance is cheaper, no MOTs, no servicing costs, great guaranteed residuals etc etc.

Don't just look at mpg figures - work out all the costs and see what is cheaper. Also what's most important is would you be happy in a car that did about 5mpg more but was pretty much inferior in every way.

Also these torque figures are meaningless. My Merc had 295lbs of torque - far more that my IS250.

Yet my IS250 is far quicker in every respect. At start-up, overtaking, everything. Yes you have to give it more revs but it gets there smoother, quieter and more refined and suits a steptronic gearbox much better.

No offence intended to IS220d owners but there is no comparison between a 4 cylinder diesel and a v6 petrol.

Look at some of the other comments on here from people who have dropped their IS220s off with a dealer, got an IS250 as a courtesy car and was absolutely gutted.

thanks for all your info it certainly food for thought. I do on average 12000 miles per year of which 60% is normal driving to and from work etc and the rest is motorway miles. I would defo prefer a auto and it seems this is the right choice. Surprised to hear that deisel was not as effective comparable to other makes.

Also these torque figures are meaningless. My Merc had 295lbs of torque - far more that my IS250.

Actually the torque is very important, and is the only thing that makes driving diesels attractive. Normally you get full thrust at low revs, whereas on a petrol car, certainly VVTi ones you have drop a gear (manually or kickdown) and let the revving deliver the performnce. With good torque, you just hit the pedal!

I'm also sure that the 220d with 177bhp, if driven in the correct gear would accelerate from 50-80 much quicker than a 250 with 200+ bhp. reason? Torque...

It was one of the reasons why Michael Scumacher was able to beat the Williams with his Renault in the early/mid 90's - especially on the twistier tracks.... Less power, fewer cylinders (V8 compard to V10's), but much better torque...

But overall I agree - the 250 Auto all the way!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links