Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clunking Sound

As I was driving today with a full load of passengers, a worrying clunk could be heard every time i went over a bump or imperfection on the road. It sounded like it was coming from the rear. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

I've also got the 'rattling' and 'clunking when braking and turning' from the front wheels. I've so far replaced the anti squeal springs, added the shim kit as it was missing and now have planned to carry out the slide pin overhaul. if all this fails it will probably be the lower ball joint next.

any ideas what could causing these two problems and has anyone else had these, should I be worried about the metal to metal sounding clunk from the rear.

Any help much appreciated.

I can't hlp about the rear, possibly a worn suspension bush ?

You need to get it up on a ramp for inspection.

I've also got the 'rattling' and 'clunking when braking and turning' from the front wheels. I've so far replaced the anti squeal springs, added the shim kit as it was missing and now have planned to carry out the slide pin overhaul. if all this fails it will probably be the lower ball joint next.

I like the thorough & systematic process dealing with the front. I think the rubber bush on the slide pin is the culprit,

but keep going as you are, as you will solve it I'm pretty sure with what you have planned.

When I had that similar situation with my car, the dealer told me to have front and rear stabilizer bar links replaced but is not sure whether it would be fix. Better it be check by a professional mechanic.

Thanks for the response guys,

I took the car down to my local Kwik fit before work and managed to get it on the ramp, they had a good look around with lots of prodding and slapping on the underside as they do and had a quick look at the suspension but they couldn't see any problems.

But as you all probably know kwik fit don't always know what they're doing (they tried to make me spend £500 on replacing my suspension on my Golf when there was nothing wrong with it). I think I will take it to another garage for a second opinion.

Also, anyone know a good place to buy general parts?

Clunking Update:

I completed the caliper pin overhaul last night and the clunkingn noise is gone, yipee... :yahoo:

However the annoying rattle is still there, not as loud as before but noticeable when really quiet. I think I might just put up with it for now.

On to my next problem, what to do with the dreaded ERR3 problem.

thanks for everyones input.

you'll get a slight clunk noise when braking occasionally at lower speeds from the pads moving in the calipers - nothing to worry about.

the rear noise and possibly front that your hearing is, IMO, either ball joint (that'd be for the front noise) and/or drop link pins for the ARB's (that could just be the rear, or the front and rear).

hope that helps

rob

you'll get a slight clunk noise when braking occasionally at lower speeds from the pads moving in the calipers - nothing to worry about.

the rear noise and possibly front that your hearing is, IMO, either ball joint (that'd be for the front noise) and/or drop link pins for the ARB's (that could just be the rear, or the front and rear).

hope that helps

rob

Hi all, I too have the same rattling noise coming from the rear and have no idea what it could be. I am no mechanic so am struggling with the achronyms here - what is an ARB?

I noticed that while the rattling noise does not occur when brakes are applied while going over bumps in the road. My mechanic suggested this might be broken "clips" on the pads. I don't know what these clips are, but he described them as square ends which secures the pads in place (hope that makes sense to you all).

I recently had front offside caliper replaced on recommendation from my mechanic, but still have the clunking noise in the front. so would be interested to know what is involved in a "caliper pin overhaul".

Ket

hope that helps

rob

Hi all, I too have the same rattling noise coming from the rear and have no idea what it could be. I am no mechanic so am struggling with the achronyms here - what is an ARB?

I noticed that while the rattling noise does not occur when brakes are applied while going over bumps in the road. My mechanic suggested this might be broken "clips" on the pads. I don't know what these clips are, but he described them as square ends which secures the pads in place (hope that makes sense to you all).

I recently had front offside caliper replaced on recommendation from my mechanic, but still have the clunking noise in the front. so would be interested to know what is involved in a "caliper pin overhaul".

Ket

"ARB" mate stands for Anti Roll Bar.....sometimes the ARB links can get worn and make a cluncking noise......slide pin overhaul i believe ( if im right) is if you have a sticking calliper?

sometimes you will get a kinda cluncking noise when you brake( at low speeds) this is just the pads moving a bit in the calliper will happen more when the pads get low..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links