Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road Tax Disc And Mot Sticker On Windscreen

japthree

Just wondering... is the placement of the road tax disc in the bottom passenger corner of the windscreen a legal requirement or simply it should be able to be read through the windscreen? Also this MOT reminder sticker you now get after your MOT test - most cars seem to have it in the top passenger corner of the screen if you use yours! Is there a 'recommended' position for it?

Its not a legal requirement at all just a little reminder to the driver.

I recently had my MOT and got told the "LEXUS" sticker behind the rear view mirror on the windscreen, that had been put there by Lexus originally, had to be removed cause it was within the window wiper path! Very picky.

Legal requirement is to display on the nearside of the vehicle, so bottom passenger side of the screen is logical.

MOT sticker is a courtesy thing to remind you when it is due, no legal requirement.

I always forget my MOT, when i finally remember, i search about for the documents and find out it's due within a week, which makes me panic and book about for a garage at the last minute (think this year i caught it in advance a month ahead), so this time i will stick the MOT sticker to remind myself when its due! My roadtax disc was placed on the center console near the windscreen when i had the mot done and they didn't say anything. I've got one of them metal tax disc holder that you have to replace the sticky pads after a change otherwise it doesn't stick onto the windscreen. And its bugger to change without taking off the disc holder off the window. I stick it back on yesterday as the screen had a mark from ages ago when it used to be on and i didn't want thiefs to think that its a sucker mark for a tomtom, which might encurage them to break into my car for the tomtom.

Section 33 Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 - level 1 fine - fixed

penalty offence - summary offence

It is an offence for a person to use or keep on a public road a vehicle

which is required to be licensed unless a current licence for that vehicle

is fixed to and exhibited in the manner prescribed (below).

Regulation 6 Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002

The licence shall be fixed to the vehicle protected from the weather and

clearly visible in daylight from the nearside of the road and exhibited :-

. Solo Motorcycles, Motor Tricycles and Invalid Vehicles,

- on the nearside of the vehicle,

. Motorcycle with Side-car,

- on the nearside of the handlebars of the motorcycle or on the nearside

of the side-car,

. Vehicles with windscreens extending across the front of the driver to

the nearside,

- on or adjacent to the nearside of the windscreen

. Other vehicles,

- if fitted with a drivers cab with a nearside window, on that window,

otherwise on the nearside in front of the driver's seat, and between 760mm

and 1.8m above the road surface.

(think this year i caught it in advance a month ahead), so this time i will stick the MOT sticker to remind myself when its due! My roadtax disc was placed on the center console near the windscreen when i had the mot done and they didn't say anything.

You can re-MOT your car 1 month before the current MOT expires and the new certificate will run for 13 months.

Nothing would be said by a tester if your tax disc is not there as there is no legal requirement to have tax on the car in order to obtain an MOT certificate. Provided that the car is pre-booked at a testing station and you are on a direct route to the testing station then you can drive to and then return home with an untaxed car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links