Best Driving Books/materials On Improving Your Driving

japthree

i can help

1) Don't speed

2) Drive Safe ie look, listen and use the indicaters

3) keep the traction control on.

4) and be nice to other road use

Sounds boring :P

Driving like that wont make you a 'better'* driver.

I grew up making lots of mistakes, (ie skidding, crashing etc) however i always tried to drive within my limits. However when you do that you can occasionally exceed them and id be the 1st to admit I cocked up on many occasion. However making mistakes is the best way to learn from them and i firmly beleive the car control i have now is alot better than if id driven to the letter of the law from day 1.

* definition of better is obviously a matter of opinion!

I have done several courses at work, and all centre around the principles found in Roadcraft. You can buy the book from SMiths or Waterstones etc. It's to do with making progress while adhering to the law. Correct positioning and engine revs for entry and exit into bends, on the approach to hazards etc all come into it.

As my instructors have always said, any :tsktsk: can drive fast, it's just a matter of pressing the right foot down hard. But it takes proper skill to know when and where to apply the brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

As a driving instructor, I recomend a thorough read of Roadcraft and the highway code. Then, go and have a go at the Rospa driving course. I like to think of it as legallised lunacy. It is based very much around making progress but sticking to the letter of the law. I've had no experiance of the IAM so I can't really comment about them, but I certainly recomend doing the Rospa test.

i can help

1) Don't speed

2) Drive Safe ie look, listen and use the indicaters

3) keep the traction control on.

4) and be nice to other road use

Sounds boring :P

Driving like that wont make you a 'better'* driver.

I grew up making lots of mistakes, (ie skidding, crashing etc) however i always tried to drive within my limits. However when you do that you can occasionally exceed them and id be the 1st to admit I cocked up on many occasion. However making mistakes is the best way to learn from them and i firmly beleive the car control i have now is alot better than if id driven to the letter of the law from day 1.

* definition of better is obviously a matter of opinion!

May sound boring but I for one am certainly glad I didn't live on a street near you when you were 'growing up' ;)

Improving your safety on the road is definately best done with (as the guys say) an approved instructor/association

If you want to get to know your's & your cars limits a day course with someone like Andrew Walsh @ Car Limits is definately worth looking at, you'll possibly poop your pants but its a darn good way to find out what you & your car are capable of :winky:

• 3 months later...

I've read the Roadcraft book and got the Roadcraft DVD (which is a DVD-transfer of the Roadcraft video done few years back). It's very interesting and informative to watch the DVD and listen to the "commentary" and pick up new tips and skills.

Anyway noticed in a friend's IAM Advanced Driving magazine adverts for more "Advanced Driving" DVDs such as:

Ultimate Roadcraft - featuring Chris Gilbert the Police Driver in the original Roadcraft DVD/video

http://www.driving4tomorrow.com

and

http://www.bespokedrivertraining.co.uk

http://www.bespokedrivertraining.co.uk/DVD_index.htm

Programme 1 - COMMENTARY DRIVING

Programme 2 - ADVANCED ROADCRAFT

Programme 3 - HIGH PERFORMANCE ROADCRAFT

3 DVDs...

Have you watched any of these or know of other "How to improve your driving" DVDs/films please?

Thanks.

• 6 months later...
Please recommend and also any which are really bad or misleading, if any.

Go for IAM embership mate. I passed the test a long time ago. The tester is normally a Police class 1 driver, so they know how to drive. I have been on a number of demonstration drives with a Police Class 1 driver and it is awsome. Observation, driving within the limits of the car, the weather, yourself, and above all, defensive driving techniques. Does it stop you doing silly things now and again???? Nope, cause we are all human..

Col.... :winky:

• 4 weeks later...
I've read the Roadcraft book and got the Roadcraft DVD (which is a DVD-transfer of the Roadcraft video done few years back). It's very interesting and informative to watch the DVD and listen to the "commentary" and pick up new tips and skills.

Anyway noticed in a friend's IAM Advanced Driving magazine adverts for more "Advanced Driving" DVDs such as:

Ultimate Roadcraft - featuring Chris Gilbert the Police Driver in the original Roadcraft DVD/video

http://www.driving4tomorrow.com

and

http://www.bespokedrivertraining.co.uk

http://www.bespokedrivertraining.co.uk/DVD_index.htm

Programme 1 - COMMENTARY DRIVING

Programme 2 - ADVANCED ROADCRAFT

Programme 3 - HIGH PERFORMANCE ROADCRAFT

3 DVDs...

Have you watched any of these or know of other "How to improve your driving" DVDs/films please?

Thanks.

I have 2 and 3, its very good if you have the patience to hear him yap for a good 1hr lol. very informative. Also IAM is also very good bar 1 little comment one of the helpers said to me...

"why are you signalling right to come out from a parked layby if you know there are no cars there..?"

I said "because even tho i am 99.999999% confident signalling theres no harm in signalling right..?"

"well, yes there is, it shows that your not 100% confident that there are no cars behind you, if you are confident then therefore there is no need to signal.."

"hmm..." :shutit:

it just seems wrong imo.. i can never be 100% certain, i can be 100% certain to my knowledge but not 100% certain.. lol if you get my drift?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links