Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Are The Cylinder Numbers?

Hi all,

I've got the dreaded TRC light and Management light flashing....

Borrowed an OBD reader from Maneesh [Thanks mate] and it is showing up 3 misfiring cylinders P0300, P0301, P0302 and P0303.

I've managed to find a breaker selling coil packs at £35 each, which is much better then the £95+ VAT Lexus charge.

All I need to know now, and am struggling to find out, is, What are the cylinder numbers? does it start from 1-6, where cylinder 1 is by the radiator? or by the windscreen?

Any help here would be great.

Thanks

Hi all,

I've got the dreaded TRC light and Management light flashing....

Borrowed an OBD reader from Maneesh [Thanks mate] and it is showing up 3 misfiring cylinders P0300, P0301, P0302 and P0303.

I've managed to find a breaker selling coil packs at £35 each, which is much better then the £95+ VAT Lexus charge.

All I need to know now, and am struggling to find out, is, What are the cylinder numbers? does it start from 1-6, where cylinder 1 is by the radiator? or by the windscreen?

Any help here would be great.

Thanks

1 will be next to the cam belt

or in your case the front

..... it is showing up 3 misfiring cylinders P0300, P0301, P0302 and P0303.

excuse my ignorance but isn't that 4 numbers ? What is the P0300 for ?

Anyways hope you are sorted soon mate :D

PO300 is multiple cylinder misfire

PO301 = Cylinder 1

PO302 = Cylinder 2

PO303 = Cylinder 3

I'd have thought you would have got these instead:

P1300 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #1)

P1305 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #2)

P1310 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #3)

P1315 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #4)

P1320 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #5)

P1325 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #6)

anyway Wozza, look here:

OBD II CODES

Stav

Thanks for the responses guys.

Stav, you've got me worried!

What are the differences between

P1305 Igniter Circuit Fault (Bank #2)

and

P0302 Cylinder #2 — Misfire Detected

I've just ordered 3 coils.... if I've ordered the wrong stuff, I can try and catch the breaker before he mails it :S

Am i on the right track?

Thanks for the links Mark & durrantie.

I'm getting a little worried now, the idea that it can be more then one item to trigger that OBD code, means replacing the coils might not be all that is needed! :(

I'll keep you posted when it arrives.

Thanks Stav,

I havent fitted anything to the car, but i did gamble with the fuel light a couple of weeks ago, and ran out on a country lane. [63miles on the light, for those interested :P ]

Thinking about it now..... Could the gunk in the tank have clogged the injectors?

It's a no go :(

The coils arrived today, replaced 1-3, and the fault is still there.

Could I have done it wrong? is there a process I should be following when replacing the coil? restart car twice, press brake, lift hand brake, indicate 4 times, then restart?

Can anyone think of what else it might be? injectors? how to clean them?

Help :(

It's a no go :(

The coils arrived today, replaced 1-3, and the fault is still there.

Could I have done it wrong? is there a process I should be following when replacing the coil? restart car twice, press brake, lift hand brake, indicate 4 times, then restart?

Can anyone think of what else it might be? injectors? how to clean them?

Help :(

You have to re-set you ecu to take the old faults out of the ecu mate :D take the Battery off for 1/2 hr or if you know the 2 fuses you pull do it that way :D

Good news!!

I took the coils out again, put them back in, the engine stopped shaking....

Used Maneesh's code reader, and reset the codes, turned the car off, started it again, and the codes came back... only this time with a new code, cylinder6 misfire

opened it all up again, took out the coil in bank6 and put in the one i took out of bank 1, restarted it, cleared the codes, restarted it again, a new code came back on.... intake temp sensor... walked back round to the engine bay... noticed i forgot to connect the airbox back in... plugged it in

restarted, cleared the codes, restarted again.. no more codes.. and no more shaking... :D

car runs great again, i also noticed how well these engines idle... its just so quiet and still... if the belts were covered up, you wouldnt even know the engine is running!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Signing out a Happy Vyker! :)

p.s those interested, i got the coils from a breaker, 3 coils for £94.

p.p.s look out for another topic from me soon, I bought a new car ;)

p.p.p.s my IS is for sale :)

Glad you're sorted mate.

But did I get this right? You took the coilpack that was on cylinder 1 when you had the fault and put it on to cylinder 6 and it came up all ok?

Marc....

yes, thats right, even though the OBC reported that Cylinder 1 was misfiring. I took out that pack, and put it into cylinder 6, and it worked!

Im not mechanically savvy enough to explain why thats happened, but if i was to assume on how the engine all works, i would say that if i actually had a fault with, say for instance, cylinder 3, but 1 and 2 were ok, as 3 misfires, it will mis-time 1+2, thus triggering thier fault codes........

........wait a minute, if thats the case, then when the code for misfire in cylinder 6 came up, according to my thoery would mean codes 1-5 would have come up! ..... throw that assumption out the window! lol

I dont know!!

Im just happy its working, and working well, its much smoother! :D