Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dont Sell The Lex...cycle To Work (if You Can!)

doog442

apologies if this has been posted before

Clearly this wont apply to everyone (ie those who live miles from their workplace..)but if you live within cycling distance..(or even if you dont) ask you employer if they do the cycle to work scheme. If they dont try an encourage them to start it up

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/general,index.htm

see how much you save here http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/employee,calculator.htm

Ive just purchased a £700 bike and will pay £350 for it,interest free over 12 months. I live 9 miles from my work. 4 months ago I worked out a route on google earth in which I could avoid the main roads and 'went for it' on my trusty mountain bike.First time in the saddle in years.

Ive now got the bug and purchased a better bike on the scheme at a bargain price. I commute 4/5 days a week saving over 300 miles of fuel a month in the IS200.(£60? )

Ive lost nearly a stone in weight and find myself frequenting cycling forums!! :whistling:

the missus thinks im a nerd, until i tell her what im saving in fuel..problem is now im spending more on cycling bits...clipless pedals, go faster tyres

havent got around to shaving the legs yet :winky: but you never know!

ps if you cant / dont want to cycle regulary you can still buy it on the scheme anyway, no matter how few trips you make..they dont check..

right im now off to http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/forums/index.php?c=7

:lol::lol::lol::lol: luv it T7RY B

I am looking to cycle at work but i live 21 miles away and so it's not a quick simple cycle. I am going to go out an practice and build up my cycling stamina, so i can complete the trip in an hour. I will then hopefully cycle one way and possible come home on a motorbike!

The cycle to work idea is a fantastic idea. I don't take part in it but I cycle to work all the time now - it's actually quicker on a bike than in a car because traffic jams are easy to dispense with and the struggle to find a space takes up valuable time. I live about 5 miles from work but would happily cycle twice, three, four or five times that. Keeps you fit, since I've been doing my petrol bill has gone down from £300 to £100 per month - only using 1 and a bit tanks of fuel a month now. There is no downside providing you don't mind getting a bit wet in the rain.

Mrs Coyote has been so impressed with how enthusiastic (and richer!!!) I've been since I cycle to work, she's bike shopping at the weekend to do the same.

:)

I am looking to cycle at work but i live 21 miles away and so it's not a quick simple cycle. I am going to go out an practice and build up my cycling stamina, so i can complete the trip in an hour. I will then hopefully cycle one way and possible come home on a motorbike!

My commute is 3 miles up a trailway,onto the road for a mile, over a narrow footbridge into the farmers field...through a field of cows, over a gate up the farmers track and 'over' the most congested road in Dorset (i used to sit in that very queue), back on the road for another mile or so (side roads) then through a forest plantation for 3 miles

How that will feel on a January morning with horizontal freezing rain i dunno :crybaby:

My commute is 3 miles up a trailway,onto the road for a mile, over a narrow footbridge into the farmers field...through a field of cows, over a gate up the farmers track and 'over' the most congested road in Dorset (i used to sit in that very queue), back on the road for another mile or so (side roads) then through a forest plantation for 3 miles

How that will feel on a January morning with horizontal freezing rain i dunno :crybaby:

For that journey I suggest a Quad bike!

It feels fantastic! You've never been out for a full speed blast over some nice trails getting back to your car being absolutely freezing cold and soaking wet. Man you feel alive when you do that! Cold weather makes you go faster.

Would it upset the greenies if I told you I drive my supercharged Lexus to work most days. It's nearly a mile, round trip. Though I would ride a bike (not in the dry, that is) if I had one!

Not sure I fully understand this scheme. Got this from the site:

Your tax calculation:

print friendly version

Total cost of bike and accessories:

£520.00

VAT saving on bike and accessories (NB helmets are exempt from VAT):

£77.45

Net cost of bike and accessories:

£442.55

Income tax saving over hire period:

£88.51

NI saving over hire period:

£48.68

Final cost of bike & accessories:

£305.36

Total saving:**

£214.64

Gross monthly salary sacrifice, based on 12 month hire period:

£36.88

Net monthly salary sacrifice, based on 12 month hire period:

£25.45

Percentage saving over RRP:

41.3%

Fair enough, saving just over £200 on a bike is good. But it's only a hire purchase scheme isn't it?

**Please note :A Fair Market Value payment is payable upon cessation of the agreement or at the end of the lease period.

On a £500 bike, that will probably be at least £200 after 12 months. No savings at all then?

I may have missed something, but don't quite get it!

The idea is that you get tax relief on your repayments and get to pay them back interest free over say 12 months. It's beneficial to you as it is to the company as it's tax deductable for them.

When it says 'fair market value', I know a guy who owns a bike shop and he says that 99% of the time the company will say 'it's yours for a quid' or something stupid like that. Although this isn't a set in stone rule and the comany are free to charge what they want within reason.

Only reason I can see not to do this is that if il be paying 430 quid a year tax for the privalage of driving my car (which has to be paid anyway) Im sure as hell going to use it to pollute the atmosphere as much as possible

Only reason I can see not to do this is that if il be paying 430 quid a year tax for the privalage of driving my car (which has to be paid anyway) Im sure as hell going to use it to pollute the atmosphere as much as possible

Here here. Too damn right. (Until petrol is £2 a litre, give it a year!)

Though not what I would expect from a guy with that signature.

Prevent global warming from your desktop, create it from your driving seat!

Here here. Too damn right. (Until petrol is £2 a litre, give it a year!)

Though not what I would expect from a guy with that signature.

Prevent global warming from your desktop, create it from your driving seat!

Damn id forgotten that was there

Making an effort when it doesnt cost anything doesnt hurt being taxed on some ridicules assumption that its going to make an ounce of different is just plain wrong. Doesnt give us the chance to change just gives the government a bit more for their second homes, fancie kitchens and doll buddies

i cycle to work most days, only 8 miles, so taks around 45 minutes, takes 30 minutes in the car so not too bad.

i'm also on the bike to wrok scheme and my employer says that they will just give me the bike at the end of hire purchase, so works it very well.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links