Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lose The Spare

coolrides

None of them are much use if you have a blowout as even if the tyre isn't shredded the sidewall will have been damaged enough to make it unsafe.

You will also find that if you are a member of a breakdown/rescue organisation, the majority state that if this should occur they will only assist if you have a serviceable spare.

Runflats maybe?

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...pic=3307&hl=

Read the thread..the only time I carried the 'glue in a can' instead of a spare was when I needed the extra room in the boot of my MGB Roadster for luggage on holiday....needless to say I had a blowout on a motorway when returning from hols, late on a Sunday night. guess what? The can didn't work... was left on the hard shoulder feeling very foolish with the car on a scissor jack for just over an hour while a nice man from the AA got the tyre fixed. In the time I had available I read the AA handbook which stated any additional journeys/cost incurred by a car not carrying a servicable spare was chargeable.

In the time I had available I read the AA handbook which stated any additional journeys/cost incurred by a car not carrying a servicable spare was chargeable.

Interesting, what happens with all these new cars that have no spare then? When my sister bought her mini, the spare was an optional extra so if we hadn't of bought it there would have been extra cost come recovery? They really should tell people that when they buy their cars........

There are some cars the 206cc i know for sure that there was no option for a spare the lack of space in the boot due to the folding lid prevented it, what happens in that case?

Interesting, what happens with all these new cars that have no spare then? When my sister bought her mini, the spare was an optional extra

AFAIK the Mini's use run-flats (BMW influence) that's why there wasn't a spare...

All new cars that do not have a spare will have run-flats.

I have considered loosing the wheel many times. You can get a lot of stereo in that hole! But will not do it, as in the even of a blow out, you will be screwed, and stranded. (As has already been mentioned.) I have had two in the last few years and do not want to take the risk.

There are some cars the 206cc i know for sure that there was no option for a spare the lack of space in the boot due to the folding lid prevented it, what happens in that case?

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/cars/peugeot-206cc/1068739/

That review says it all.

Interesting, what happens with all these new cars that have no spare then? When my sister bought her mini, the spare was an optional extra

AFAIK the Mini's use run-flats (BMW influence) that's why there wasn't a spare...

Unfortunately not the case, not sure about the mk2 but for the mk1 it only had run-flats if the wheels were 16" or higher..........hers came with 15" wheels so no spare and no runflats, just a can of tyre weld in the boot unless you specify the optional spare wheel (which we did) :)

With this new trend, I'd personally prefer to have runflats..........think I'd put up with the lack of comfort safe in the knowledge that at least I'm safe :unsure:

i guy in work bought a seat altea an it has no spare just an electric pump and a big tub of gel.

what sort of money would a set of 18s runflats cost and do they come in low profile i have 40 section at min an possible goin to go to 35 section as the fronts scuff the plastic arch lining very slightly

B)

If you're considering the spacesaver tyre, be aware that you shouldn't put them on the front anyway, so again not ideal at the side of the road in the rain if you get a front tyre puncture.

Also, spacesavers sometimes won't fit over the top of big meaty brake setups, so check first.

De-ja-vu or what , I was talking to a friend about this today , he has just bought a Ford Focus ST3 and it comes without a spare ...just supplied with a can of tyreweld , so I posed the question / scenario of a blowout miles from home , he is going to Ford and is raising this to get an answer from them , whether they pick up the tab for rescue or what ? I'll let you know when he finds out .

Regards

Paul.

I think you will find you are wrong Loggy

from the ROSPA website

As many runflat tyres offer good ride comfort whist deflated, it is often hard for the driver to feel that a tyre is deflated by physical means. In order to detect a deflated runflat tyre, your vehicle needs a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), and you need to be aware how it will communicate a loss of tyre pressure. You should never retrofit a runflat tyre to a vehicle without a TPMS.

and more from the etyres website

Run-flat tyres are an integral part of the design of an increasing number of cars. They provide significant safety features but they are more expensive that the same sized non run-flat tyres and punctures in them cannot be repaired. This sometimes encourages car owners to consider fitting regular tyres instead. This is not a good idea.

The side walls of run-flat tyres are much stiffer than those of traditional tyres and the vehicle manufacturer has incorporated this into the suspension design of the car. Fitting non run-flat tyres could seriously effect the handling quality of the car and it could become unstable, particularly in extreme conditions.

Conversely, because run-flat tyres are more convenient, as well as safer, car owners sometimes consider retro-fitting them to cars that were not designed to run on them. This is also not a good idea.

Cars with run-flat tyres always have a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) fitted. This device alerts the driver to a loss of tyre so that the vehicle’s speed can be reduced to the recommended maximum of 50mph, in a low pressure situation. This prevents over-heating of the deflated tyre which is critical to the deflated performance and to safely concluding the journey. Without the TPMS the driver might not notice the loss of pressure and continue without reducing speed. This would cause the deflated tyre to overheat, possible with dangerous consequences.

So the message is clear. If your car is fitted with run-flat tyres you should always replace with run-flat tyres. If your car doesn’t have run-flat tyres you should not replace with run-flat tyres. However it is acceptable to use run-flat tyres from a different manufacturer, as long as other issues such as directionality and asymmetry are complied with.

So you need to run much softer suspension (due to run-flats stiffer sidewalls), & special wheels with TPMS. Then also something inside the car to alert you

of the TPMS readings. Darned expensive option then :o

If you're considering the spacesaver tyre, be aware that you shouldn't put them on the front anyway,

Can I ask why? I did many, many times on my Celicas.

What would you do with a front puncture then? Take a good one from the back and put the spacesaver on the rear?

he is going to Ford and is raising this to get an answer from them , whether they pick up the tab for rescue or what ?

Can't see that happening really!

I always thought it was best to take a wheel off the back and put the space saver on the rear. On times where I've tried a space saver I'd not want one on the wheels that steer the car.

But then I'm quite new to RWD. Maybe it's not much good on the back either!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links