Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Computer Help

mudzs

Hi all , can anyone shed some light on why my computer will not boot and just comes up with a blue screen saying about non executable memory . the info states 0x00000fc with some other numbers . can not start it and it seemed to happen just after loading service pack 3 . any help is very welcome ..

hi i have just noticed it will start if i unplug all usb devices . but i can only get as far as the username bit and as soon as i replug the keyboard and mouse it crashes again . problem is i need them to start it . bit of a vicious circle really lol

i would buy a cheap "old school" mouse and keyboard that do not require usb. (wozza's idea is a good one, but this may be cheaper/easier as a starting point)

then go from there.

it's always vicious circles mate. its windows!

if you got the sp3 from a torrent site or not guaranteed secure source, i have seen a copies with virus/spyware (nasty *******) embedded into them, could have that effect.

my comp has today refused to recognise my ipod (via usb) so could be a similar thing (i have not solved it yet!) thou i am running vista, so may be a totally different thing!

USBPORT.SYS - its a known issue. Delete it and copy from your original I386 folder (or someone else's).

You will have to boot from the windows cd and select repair, then recovery console. Then you will need to manually overwrite it with the earlier version. It won't have booted into windows so you must make sure your bios can support usb keyboard directly.

thanks geoffers ,but i really have no windows knowledge . is this hard to do .

I'm not the best at explaining things so bear with me here.... if anyone can see anything I've missed, please point it out.

1. Put your Windows XP disk in the CD drive.

2. Switch on and hopefully it will say "Press any key to boot from CD". Press any key to let it boot. If it does, go to step 5

3. When you boot, does it say anything like "Hit DEL to run setup" (Could be F12, F2 depending on manufacturer). Whatever it is, press it.

4. It will bring up some menus. Within one of the menus will be BOOT OPTIONS or BOOT ORDER. Move to this and usually at the bottom of the screen it will tell you how to change the option. You want it to boot from CD first. It will tell you at the bottom how to save this option (usually F10)

5. This will now boot with the CD. It takes a little while but a menu will appear. You want the recovery console option ®. Again, it may take a short while and then it may ask for an admin password. If its XP Home, just press enter. A selection will be next prompting you to enter the install to select. You will only have 1 so press number 1 then enter.

After a bit of time, it will leave you with a command prompt. (Black screen, flashing cursor)

6. You need to find out the drive letter of your CD. I'm going to assume it is d:, so type the following EXACTLY: (Enter at the end of each line)

expand d:\i386\usbport.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys /y

expand d:\i386\usbport.sy_ c:\windows\system32\usbport.sys /y

That is an underscore at the end of the first "sy". If you get an error of unknown drive or something similar, try substituting D: for E: or even A: (some versions have a runtime A: emulation for compatibility)

Once it has expanded successfully, it should say so.

Reboot and hopefully that will be it. (Safe to just switch off and back on again)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links