Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Cam Belt Change And Info On Past Services

ok, I have just become the proud owner of a 1999 IS200 with 48,000 miles on the clock. I have a stamped-up service book with Lexus and Toyota dealer stamps, but no receipts showing what work was carried out at each service.

I see from other threads that it's recommended that the cam belt be changed at 60,000 or 6 years.

I've seen one previous IS200 that had a sticker in the engine bay saying when the cam belt was changed. I have no such sticker in my engine bay.

I'm trying to figure out if mine will have been changed or not. You would hope that a Lexus or Toyota service would have changed it when it was 6 years old. But then wouldn't they have put a sticker in the engine bay ?

I could always try phoning up said dealers and seeing if they'll tell me what work was carried out. Has anyone tried this sort of thing, will dealers normally tell you stuff done for previous owners ?

Any other ideas ?

I strongly advise changinmg your belt at 60k, we have seen too many come in in a terrible condition if left any longer and known them to break before 100k.

James

When i spoke to Steve, he said that if i left it till about 80k (Mines at 75k) that the likely hood it could have snapped so its worth changing.

I'm taking in tomorrow to a Lexus dealer for a visual check (9 years old, 49k miles). They've agreed that if they say it's ok until the next service, then they'll have to pay if it snaps between now and then.

Took it into Lexus Guildford this afternoon. They had a look at it and said the cam belt looked fine. But they backed out of giving any sort of guarantee, contrary to what they'd said on the phone, grr :tsktsk:

• 4 years later...

I recently bought an IS200 with no service history. I e-mailed my local Dealer (Cardiff) to see if they could tell me if they had ever serviced it. They e-mailed me back saying that it had some services by Lexus in Bristol! So I e-mailed them and they sent me by post a print-out of all the servicing they had done on it! I was very impressed! So in my opinion its well worth contacting the Dealer who did the servicing (just look at their stamps on the service book!).

Ive got some invoices from Stockport lexus, but no service history as such, i called them up and they said they didnt have any info on my Lexus, they said something about them changing the system a few years back

Im getting my cambelt, water pump and aux belts changed next month. It was last done 57k in 2007 and its now at 100k and 6 years on so im getting mine done. I wouldnt risk leaving it longer. anyway i thought it was the tensioner that was troublesome vs the belt itself hence them changing it to 60k

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Having had a cam belt go on my previous car which destroyed the engine and had to scrap it, I  have decided to have it done on my present IS 200 even though I was told when I bought it  that it was due next year.  

On 8/21/2018 at 4:45 PM, scudney said:

Good thinking better to be safe than sorry 😊 

I sent my IS 200 to have the cam belt changed on Monday morning, ironically I replied to this topic in the afternoon, little did I know what disastrous news I was in for. As they were reversing the car onto the ramp it cut out ...yes the cam belt had broken - due to a seized bearing. It transpired that the belt had been changed before but some cheap skate idiot obviously only changed the belt  and nothing else. Moral of the story even if the cam belt has been changed and the history is present you don't know if a thorough job was done.