Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yet Another Question On Keys

This seems to be a popular subject :) . I've of course read the pinned thread at the top of the forum on reprogramming keys.

I received three keys with my car - two three-button keys and one two-button key. Only one key seemed to function remotely, which was one of the three-button keys, and this appears to be a master since the security light on the dash doesn't come on when I insert the key.

The two-button key was dead, no LED on the key when I pressed the buttons, so I assumed it had a flat Battery and replaced it. Now, this key will start the engine fine, and the security light comes on on the dash briefly when the key is inserted into the ignition (although not when the key is turned, contrary to what's in the pinned thread), so I'm thinking it's not a master.

So it seems like my car has "forgotten" this key when it comes to the remote lock/unlocking and alarm, but is still remembered when it comes to the immobiliser.

My conclusion is that I need to go through the first bit of the reprogramming guide in the pinned thread, i.e. to make it work the remote locking again, but I shouldn't need to do the immobiliser bit again. Is this right ?

The other three button key is in the same state, i.e. it can start the engine but not lock/unlock the doors. Although it appears to be a master, since the security light doesn't come on when it's inserted into the ignition. So again it sounds like I need to do the first bit of reprogramming on this one too.

Have I got this right ? I realise the only way to really tell for sure is to try it, but I want to make sure I've not misunderstood before getting into that.

Could it just be the batteries are dead? When the Battery in my key died, it would take ages and several key presses to make the car unlock, but never had any trouble starting the engine...............it's possible you might need to just replace the batteries :)

Could it just be the batteries are dead? When the battery in my key died, it would take ages and several key presses to make the car unlock, but never had any trouble starting the engine...............it's possible you might need to just replace the batteries :)

I already have replaced the Battery in the two-button key. Haven't tried replacing the Battery in the other three-button key yet, but it doesn't work at very close range (tried several times) and the LED on the key does light up when you press it.

Have I got this right ?

Yes. I would say so.

You seem to have concluded exatctly what I would have advised you.

Then again you probably would do!

It's been a while since I reseached and compiled that guide. But I beleive you should not have to reprogramme the "second bit", but the "first bit" (you know what i mean) should cure your problems. If they then don't start the engine but do work the doors, then do it anyway!

It is a little tricky and I would say a 50% sucess rate was the best i ever managed! So if at you don't get it right first time, try again, and again, if needed!

Woo-hoo, it worked ! :D

Worked first time on one of the keys, second attempt on the other key. Just did the "first bit" of the guide to reprogramme them to do the remote locking.

What a fantastic resource this forum is ! I've learned so much in a short space of time, and this is just one invaluable example. Thanks very much to 84Stoney for the guide :D

What a fantastic resource this forum is ! I've learned so much in a short space of time, and this is just one invaluable example. Thanks very much to 84Stoney for the guide :D

No worries mate. Like you say, this forum is great, if nothing else, it's saved me a forutune!

Well that was weird :duh:

Just went out for a drive and found that the original key wouldn't lock/unlock the doors any more after programming the other keys previously ! So I had to re-programme that too, and now all is well again :)

The car can only remember a certain number of keys (cant remember how many). When you programme a new one, it forgets one of the old ones. This may be one you no longer have (or never did) or it could be the one you use every day. Simly reprogramming any forgotten keys will solve it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links