Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pulled Over For No Insurance

tridentmorph

Photocopies,hologram cards etc do not prove anything, even the original Certificate of Insurance proves absolutely nothing. Scenario...take out insurance....get certificate of insurance from insurer....cancel insurance( full refund normally if cancelled within first 14 days with no claim made).....drive car and if pulled show certificate to police( which is in your possession even though you have cancelled your policy.)......job done-another uninsured :tsktsk: gets away with it. Do drivers who are complying with tax/insurance/MOT really want this to happen? This is why they can impound your car. Keep your insurance details handy but only so that if you are pulled or are involved in RTA then at least you can get the police to phone your insurers to check. OMO anyone driving with no insurance/MoT(no MoT can invalidate insurance)/tax deserves to get hammered a lot more than they seem to.

Technically you're right, when my insurance was just up for renewal, they sent me next years certificate before I actually renewed. I could have easily rang them up and told them I wasn't renewing, but still had a certificate saying I had another year's insurance.

Yep Stav's right, the insurers should keep the database up to date, but the police should not be able to impound the car if you could easily give the ins company a ring and confirm that you have insurance.

Technically you're right, when my insurance was just up for renewal, they sent me next years certificate before I actually renewed. I could have easily rang them up and told them I wasn't renewing, but still had a certificate saying I had another year's insurance.

Yep Stav's right, the insurers should keep the database up to date, but the police should not be able to impound the car if you could easily give the ins company a ring and confirm that you have insurance.

A lot of them do give you chance, they pull you over and have the phone numbers for most insurers with them so they can check before they impound the car. Suppose it depends on what sort of day their having.

Surely if the insurers keep the database upto date then the computer method is the most superior?

Some people believe paper records are better Stav as electronic media is inefficient :winky:

LOL oh yeah. Did you read that in that Gospel you've got :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Whenever my insurance company has sent me a pre-emptive certificate for the next year and i have cancelled it: they have always asked me to send it back (in an enevelope they provide) having written VOID or CANCELLED on it.

Ed

• 8 months later...

I think you will find that an officer of the law can ask you for your full documents and you have to produce them when requested.

I have a motor trade policy which staes i dont have to tell the insurance company of what cars i am driving and when, mearly because i would be on the phone 20 times a day.

If i buy a car which i intend to keep for more than 7 days i do have to inform them of this.

I live in Manchester, which has been mentioned in this thread already, the police do ask for your insurance details if you cant produce them they do tow your car. They dont have to check with your insurance company its not their job to do so. If the computer comes back with a "no insurance" then they tow your car simple as that, having your certificate with you isnt proof it just proves that you did have insurance at some point. Infact if the police let you drive on without proof your insured strickly speaking hes not doing his job Hes asked you for proof of insurance which you didnt satisfy, therefore your not insured and your car should not be allowed on the road with you driving it.

Just a quick point to add. I just ran a check on the askmid web site (link posted above). I put in a number plate that is currently held on retention certificate as a cherished plate. The results came back as a bmw 325 coupe that the plate used to be registered to 6 weeks ago. So their records are wrong and i only checked one vehicle.

I think you will find that an officer of the law can ask you for your full documents and you have to produce them when requested.

If you are driving in a lot of countries (France is an example) then you need to carry all your docs and your vehicle's registration docs with you. In the UK there is currently no requirement to do so. In the UK there is a form which the police carry and issue requiring you to show the documents they require, at a police station of your choice within 7 days.

If you are driving in a lot of countries (France is an example) then you need to carry all your docs and your vehicle's registration docs with you. In the UK there is currently no requirement to do so. In the UK there is a form which the police carry and issue requiring you to show the documents they require, at a police station of your choice within 7 days.

I dont think the law states you have to carry your docs with you but then you are supose to produce them when asked to do so.

I havent seen one of the forms you mention in years. I used to collect them getting atleast one a week. Now your details are all kept on computer i havnt seen the "hort1" ticket issued for ages.

i once got one requesting to see my log book along with insurance and mot. Having red the ticket, the log bok didnt need to be presented within the 7 day time period, just at a time conveniant to me. This was probably 3 years ago i still havnt produced it and dont even own the car any more.

I dont think the law states you have to carry your docs with you but then you are supose to produce them when asked to do so.

I havent seen one of the forms you mention in years. I used to collect them getting atleast one a week. Now your details are all kept on computer i havnt seen the "hort1" ticket issued for ages.

i once got one requesting to see my log book along with insurance and mot. Having red the ticket, the log bok didnt need to be presented within the 7 day time period, just at a time conveniant to me. This was probably 3 years ago i still havnt produced it and dont even own the car any more.

So which is it? You say that the forms are no longer needed because everything is "on computer" (I know the forms do still get issued by the way) and then you say that the computer database is not always up to date. You say that you have to produce your full documentation when requested by "an officer of the law" but how can you do this when you agree that it is not compulsory to carry them in your vehicle in the UK? That is why the 7 day "producer" is still around.

So which is it? You say that the forms are no longer needed because everything is "on computer" (I know the forms do still get issued by the way) and then you say that the computer database is not always up to date. You say that you have to produce your full documentation when requested by "an officer of the law" but how can you do this when you agree that it is not compulsory to carry them in your vehicle in the UK? That is why the 7 day "producer" is still around.

It isnt law to carry your docs but you are supose to produce them when requested. So sence would say carry them, although its not legal to do so. Its because people dont carry them that the "hort1" ticket was introduced.

People carry the plastic part of their liecence but with out the paper part its not a complete document doesnt stop people only carrying the plastic bit though.

The police still issue the defect notices. The ticket you get when you have a minor defect on your car and you have to fix it then take your car to a mot station, get the car checked, then get the ticket stamped with the garage embosing stamp.

Why do they still issue these tickets ??? since the introduction of computerised mot testing garages were told to destroy the embossing stamp. How the hell do you get the ticket stamped when no garages have the correct stamp.

The police work to diffrent laws to mot testing, so some times it makes it impossible to keep within the rules. quick example, the police dont allow the coloured LED washer jet lights that were comman a while back. These lights are nothing to do with the mot. As long as a car has one side light each side of the car any other sidelights are nothing to do with the mot.

So what i am saying is the law and comman sence are not the same. The rules do not always make sence. You are supose to produce your docs when asked this is the law if you dont carry them then its your fault. A copper can check the data base but this will only confirm that your car is moted and insured doesnt prove its insured for you to drive or you are who you are saying you are though does it. If you can prove who you say you are and the data base says the car is insured for you then fine. If not the copper will issue a "hort1" ticket. Simple thing to do is carry your docs. why not carry them?? if you leave your docs in the car and your car gets stolen they person who nicks the car will have the same problems proving they are legal you had. save yourself the agro of a ticket carry your docs. the law is the law its doesnt always make sence.

• 1 year later...

This happened to me at the weekend and I ended up getting my car seized by a right set of w**k**s!

I changed my policy to the lexus on Friday afternoon and got pulled on Saturday for no insurance on the PNC, I explained that I had just changed my policy and that it may not be up to date on the system but they would not listen.

I convinced them to ring the insurance company to check my policy, they had the phone on loud speaker and after listening to some classical music for a couple of minutes they hung up and told me to find a way home as they were taking my car! I pleaded with them to stay on hold until they could talk to someone from the insurance company but they said there time is too precious.

Needless to say I was fuming when they told me I needed to find a lift home (40 miles from home) and I would have to pay £150+VAT to get my car back as well as being reported for no insurance!

I have since spoken to my insurance company who have confirmed that I was insured on the car so im not too worried about being reported for the offence but im still gutted about the loss of my car for 2 days and having to pay for the recovery. I will be going to the police station at some point today with my insurance documents and ill play hell about the whole drama, I think its well within my right to tell them where to shove the recovery fee.

This happened to me at the weekend and I ended up getting my car seized by a right set of w**k**s!

I changed my policy to the lexus on Friday afternoon and got pulled on Saturday for no insurance on the PNC, I explained that I had just changed my policy and that it may not be up to date on the system but they would not listen.

I convinced them to ring the insurance company to check my policy, they had the phone on loud speaker and after listening to some classical music for a couple of minutes they hung up and told me to find a way home as they were taking my car! I pleaded with them to stay on hold until they could talk to someone from the insurance company but they said there time is too precious.

Needless to say I was fuming when they told me I needed to find a lift home (40 miles from home) and I would have to pay £150+VAT to get my car back as well as being reported for no insurance!

I have since spoken to my insurance company who have confirmed that I was insured on the car so im not too worried about being reported for the offence but im still gutted about the loss of my car for 2 days and having to pay for the recovery. I will be going to the police station at some point today with my insurance documents and ill play hell about the whole drama, I think its well within my right to tell them where to shove the recovery fee.

theirs no point.......go to the station show them your policy and you wont need to pay a fee.......

i would just like to clear a few things up if i may. I know i am new to the forums, but unfortunately, i am a officer of the law....... I can here all the booo's now..lol

The law states that you have to produce your vehicle documents when requested to do so by a Constable. If you can not, then the offence is complete. However, the police then give you a HORT1 which gives you the benifit of the doubt to produce your documents to a police station of your choice, within 7 days from midnight, that night. If any offences are disclosed, then you may / will be summonsed for those offences.

In relation to insurance, only about 90% of insurance companies subscribe to a system which updates PNC. The major problem is that there is 10% that don't and also most of the time, a lot of the fault does lie with the individual motorist. A classic example is that you take out an insurance policy on a pay monthly basis, however, if you do not keep up your monthly payments, the insurance company stops your insurance straight away, but most of the time, do not notify you. So when you bring in your documents to the police station, all information is then added to the computer and it checks everything. But people also change insurance companies as well, so all previous details are not the same.

In relation to the person that the bobbies would not wait to check the insurance details, that is absolutely crap. They have a duty to check all avenues to see if the car is insured before seizing the car, i would in your case make an official complaint against the officers in question. I can guarantee you that you will not have to pay any costs or charges. Just keep pushing it and you will win, as long as you were fully covered at that time and produced all your documents correctly.

I hope that i have cleared a few things up, if not, feel free to ask.