Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1jz-gteing Is200

Hey guys this is a shout out to anyone wanting a roll cage, ive got a guy whos going to be doing mine for the IS200 and i thought whilst mine is going in if anyone else was to jump in it would reduce costs massively, I know this is a long shot as not many people put roll cages in but i thought whats the harm in asking.

If anyone is interested drop me a pm, anything can be made up as he does them from scratch.

Cheers Elliott

elliot...............bigger it not always better (i tell my wife this.............) you need a turbo which is going to give sensible boost low down.........what cc does this lorry turbo normally work with.............somewhat more than 2.5..........needs air to work.............you'll have lag lag lag lag ............power for 2 seconds change gear...............lag lag lag lag...............

elliot...............bigger it not always better (i tell my wife this.............) you need a turbo which is going to give sensible boost low down.........what cc does this lorry turbo normally work with.............somewhat more than 2.5..........needs air to work.............you'll have lag lag lag lag ............power for 2 seconds change gear...............lag lag lag lag...............

Indeed Dave I do realise this, my first thoughts were exact yours but looking further into it we did some measurements and the exhaust housing seems to have around a 0.8 A/R which is similar size to a Garrett GT30/GT35 series. Someone has managed to find me a turbo map for the holset which will hopefully give me a better idea.

Also the 1JZ rev's pretty high on standard cams(7K+), which will eventually be changed when funds allow upto and beyond 8K so i'll have a pretty heathly rev range to play with unless this turbo really does need a stupid amount of air to get it spinning.

Anyway its free so if its crap i'll just take it off buy antoher one and have no loss, worth a try. Its also pretty cool to have a truck turbo :D lol

Ive been hearing pretty bad things about the garrett GT series, massive reliablity issues so may look at some other options. Anyone else had any problems ?

I've been hearing pretty bad things about the Garrett GT series, massive reliability issues, so may look at some other options. Anyone else had any problems?

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=165183

I needed to have a meeting with my turbo suppliers over a new project, and having the head honcho's ear for a while, I asked about the current crop of failures of 4088 Garrett turbos. IMO you can take the following as Gospel.

The 4088 turbos listed and sold by Garrett in the US are DAF truck turbos. Whilst the turbine wheel itself should withstand EGTs seen in a properly fuelled and mapped gasoline engine, the exhaust housing won't. It's not made of Ni-Resist cast iron, which high performance gasoline turbos should have. The housing is eroding, and superheated incandescent particles in turn erode the turbine wheel. To compound matters the stock 4088 has a 6 bolt turbine housing, which is unusual. Sellers in the US have Chinese cast V band turbine housings made for two and six, and fit these. These housings are even less heat tolerant than the stock Garrett ones, and not only erode, but warp and distort, sometimes to the extent the turbine wheel catches, or the housing leaks.

The only answer is to either fit them to diesels or sell / bin them and get a turbo that has the proper high performance Ni-Resist (trade mark name for high nickel content cast iron) turbine housing.

To quote, you get what you pay for, 900 quid buys a proper turbo, 500 quid buys an improper turbo.

• 3 weeks later...

Any new updates yet mate?

Starting on the engine mounts this week. Gotta get the right steel and thickness etc then make them up.

Got someone at Ricardo's seeing if the Holset turbo will be ok for the application.

Nearly order a manifold from the US the other day but im too skint. Even buying limited pressy's this year and i'm still out of pocket LoL

forget using Diesel truck turbos, most of our kit uses Holset, there designed for engines ranging from 5.9litre cummins to 32litre cummins/RR

the compressor maps are all wrong for use on track, they with some manipulation make good drag turbos, but your talking 1500-2000+ hp engines.

just buy a ****** normal turbo and stop trying to over complicate your project ;)

forget using Diesel truck turbos, most of our kit uses Holset, there designed for engines ranging from 5.9litre cummins to 32litre cummins/RR

the compressor maps are all wrong for use on track, they with some manipulation make good drag turbos, but your talking 1500-2000+ hp engines.

just buy a ****** normal turbo and stop trying to over complicate your project ;)

I know someone who works at Ricardo's hes checking out the possiblitly of it working with the 1jz as the car will be revving all the time the possible lag it may produce shouldnt be a problem unless its really high up the rev range.

Its a T4 flange so if it doesnt work i can just change the turbo and the beginning part of the exhaust system, which will be pretty easy. If it saves me £700 i'll give it a try :)

• 5 weeks later...

Ok at last did some work on the car today.

Got the rear sump off and cleaned up and got the front sump on (the bloody sealant is a effing nightmare) just put it on for a test fit in the car.

Got it in the car and it looks fine the 1JZ-GTE mounts nearly fitted but going to go with custom made ones or get the 2 passenger side GS300 ones.

Also got the Bell housing out was going to mate the whole lot up to see if the gearbox mounting fits ok but didnt have any of the right threaded bolts so will do that again next weekend.

All in all a nice easy refreshing start to the project, really lost interest over xmas so getting back into it has been slow.

Nice find Barry, that a bit pricey. about £14,000.

Changed all doors over to Matt's old drifty blue ones. Looks pretty funny at the moment.

Went and got a stack of bolts the other day for the bell housing and gearbox hoping i've measured them all correctly.

Get a pic of the two tone up mate :D

Only had one picture of mine two toned before the spray:

P9180428.sized.jpg

Seems like that was yesterday and it must be three years ago now! In fact I just looked and it's closer to 4.5 years ago :o

P9180428.sized.jpg

Seems like that was yesterday and it must be three years ago now! In fact I just looked and it's closer to 4.5 years ago :o

I'll get some photos when im up there next. Its silver with sky blue doors lol

P9180428.sized.jpg

:lol::lol: that Garfield in the back window is a classic :lol:

Look forward to seeing how its coming on Ellz :D

Does that car go lower????

It did once, had a car full and it was dragging it's arse along the floor - Rob will tell you about it as he was sat in the back with Andy Hart and Sara and then Andy's dad was up front - there were some nasty noises on that journey :D

Well went up to the unit to day to test fit bolt for the g/box.

20090129111921.jpg

Just need to get a few more now as I didnt get enough. When its all together its blooooomin massive, probably 2 metres from pullys to back of g/box.

20090129111811.jpg

And one for Aido

My multi colour wins LoL

20090129100504.jpg

And OOOO yes that is a 2.5 V6 manual Omega next to my car. unfortunately its for sale so no drifting in it for me :(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links