Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

K & N Air Filter...

thetruck

Every 6 months, mine gets quite clogged. My brother has one aswell on my old focus so we do them both at the same time.

Oh and i agree about the 2 days befroe putting back car - i put mine back in 1st time i did it and you get oil all over the airbox. And im assuming therefore in the throttle body and engne :sad:

I have one, maybe get an extra 1mpg on motorway but then by being a bit more careful with the throttle will do that even better. Doesn't do anything else. You'll never make the outlay cost back so not worth it.

Rubbish mate, what do you do with your lexus air filter ? and whats the cost of lexus filter ? you can wash and use the K&N filter time and time again, so saving you money :D

I am stating my opinion, to which I am entitled. You only save money if you keep cars a long time - and even then what (if anything) do you save? £10, £20? Not exactly major cash in 4 or 5 years of car ownership when depreciation is going to hit you for thousands. Similarly if you wanted to buy one, what's £35 in the grand scheme of things? It's loose change so if you want one, buy one.

There seems to be a split of people who recommend them and people who say they don't really do anything.

if its a k&n filter i doubt there is any ploy as they are one of the biggest names in that industry, even if it gave you 1 or 2 brake it is still an improvement, and def lets the engine breath a bit easier. you dont notice the difference putting one in but you will if you take one out and replace it with original. seems to choke it a bit.

my opinion anyway lol

I have one, maybe get an extra 1mpg on motorway but then by being a bit more careful with the throttle will do that even better. Doesn't do anything else. You'll never make the outlay cost back so not worth it.

Rubbish mate, what do you do with your lexus air filter ? and whats the cost of lexus filter ? you can wash and use the K&N filter time and time again, so saving you money :D

I am stating my opinion, to which I am entitled. You only save money if you keep cars a long time - and even then what (if anything) do you save? £10, £20? Not exactly major cash in 4 or 5 years of car ownership when depreciation is going to hit you for thousands.

You originally did say "you'll never make the outlay cost back" though, not "you'll only make your money back if you keep your car for a few years". I think that's the point that Gord was making ;)

One thing you also have to factor in on top of the cost of the K&N filter (code 33-2845 @ £30.99 + £7.50 p+p) is the cost of the Recharger Kit (code 99-5050) @ £12.99 delivered. This kit will enable you to clean and re-oil the filter approx Six times. In the long run, cost and environmentally wise it's a "No Brainer" decision.

How often to people here clean their K&N filters ?

I had a look on K&N's website, and here they talk about cleaning it every 50,000 miles, depending on driving conditions (which sounds like quite a long interval to me, I would have thought 20,000 or so might be more sensible ?)

I personally think that you should clean and re-oil a K&N filter at least at the same time interval as you would a throw-away one which according to my Lexus Warranty & Care booklet is every 4 years/30,000 miles (whichever comes first) or sooner if you drive in dusty conditions/areas.

However as i do all my own servicing and repairs i check, clean and re-oil my K&N every year/10,000 miles as it's amazing the amount of dust/debris that accumulates on it which must have a detrimental effect on engine breathing and in turn MPG.

PS:-I drive mostly on single and dual carriageway "A" roads and keep to legal speed limits and my car consistently returns a true 30 to 33 MPG.

Every car I have ever owned gets a K&N or Green filter, and a stainless exhaust when the one on the car dies. Powerflow did my last car with a 15hp gain on the rollers and a choice of noise from the back box. Just habbit of mine, but the differance is there and the extra noise is great!!

Received and installed my K&N filter today. Side-by-side with the OEM filter it certainly *looks* like it should provide better airflow (although I realise that just looking at it isn't the most scientific analysis !).

Thanks for the tip about the recharger kit, Imperial1952 :)

No probs i'm glad the info was of use to you.

PS: You can buy me a pint or two or more with the money you save if/when we ever meet up !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it gives the engine a little more power BUT. I had a little hole in mine, manufacturer error/**** up :tsktsk: some "silicone" was missing and therefor left a little hole. The filter was shipped to K&N but they will not give me any compensation for the extra engine wear, had it for almost a year. Apparently the warrenty doesn't cover the extra engine wear however I will receive compentation for the filter.

CHECK YOUR FILTERS!

Has anybody not noticed that the throttle body gets dirty very quickly with the K&N. The butterfly flap gets dirty and can stick, which causes slow throttle response. Am I right?

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure your K&N filter is installed correctly and the airbox is closed properly ?

Fitted my K&N filter the other day... just though i post some picks :D ...gotta say i can feel some difference in throttle response, and you get a nice little growl.

Maybe I'm imagining it, but I too think it does change the engine note slightly, a bit more of a growl as you say :)

Has anybody not noticed that the throttle body gets dirty very quickly with the K&N. The butterfly flap gets dirty and can stick, which causes slow throttle response. Am I right?

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure your K&N filter is installed correctly and the airbox is closed properly ?

Fitted my K&N filter the other day... just though i post some picks :D ...gotta say i can feel some difference in throttle response, and you get a nice little growl.

Maybe I'm imagining it, but I too think it does change the engine note slightly, a bit more of a growl as you say :)

No Stevie and Monti - Im sure your right, it definitely growls a bit more now and Im sure the car seems to pull off a tiny bit quicker. Then again my stock filter was absolutely caked in crap, bits of leaves and all sorts. Dunno when it was last changed, so maybe thats why I felt I noticed a difference

Can we see some pictures of where the filter is on the engine and how you get to it/swap it?

There seems to be two K&N filters advertised, a rectangular one and another shaped like a dog leg?

Or have I got that completely wrong?

Joe

Can we see some pictures of where the filter is on the engine and how you get to it/swap it? It only takes a couple of minutes to swap, undo a clip on the airbox lid, open it up, take out the old filter and housing, replace the old filter in the housing with the K&N filter, insert back into airbox then close the lid and clip it shut.

There seems to be two K&N filters advertised, a rectangular one and another shaped like a dog leg?

Monti has already posted some pics on the previous page in this thread, here.

There's only one K&N air filter for the IS200 as far as I know, the dog leg-shaped one. Don't know if there are any others for some other variants, or perhaps the pictures you've seen are just an example K&N filter for another car ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links